Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times

Advertisements

I had planned on doing a full write-up with pictures on the bathroom remodel we are doing. Unfortunately my niece reset my phone and I lost most of the pictures... (apparently some androids have a feature where if the password is entered wrong 10x the phone resets...)

The goal was to redo the old vinyl floor with Tile and electric radiant heat as well as convert the single vanity to a double.

Originally I had planned on doing all the work myself but the radiant floor and the tile was a little bit more then I wanted to tackle.

Project breakdown

Others: Professional plumber to shorten baseboard heater by 10" to fit larger vanity - 100$
Me: Trim removal and paint - Cost of paint and stain - 50$+/-
Me: Vanity removal - (sold old vanity on facebook tag sale for 150$)
Me: Toilet removal/replacement - Cost of wax ring - 7$
Me: Floor removal (2 layers of vinyl/2 layers of 1/4" plywood/hundreds of staples) - cost - blood/sweat/tears
Others: Professional installation of 60sq feet of tile and 40 sq feet of electric heat Matt with self leveling base - 700$
Me: Purchase of 60sq feet of Porcelain Tile/grout/Heat Matt/Thermostat material cost - 450$
Others: Professional plumber to convert plumbing IN wall for two sinks - 500$

Me: purchase and installation of Faucets - 200$
Me: Purchase and installation of Vanity - 1200$
Me: Additional plumbing materials/fittings to hook up sinks - 70$
Me: Decorations/blinds/accessories to be purchased - 200$+/-

TBD: Hiring a Professional electrician to add a circuit to hook up the electric floor - 400$+/-?

Total cost 3,727 maybe round up to 4k...

More then I had expected, but I did hire out more work then I typically do.

I can easily see how another 5 grand could be spent if you were to redo the shower/tub with all tile and glass doors or chose a more expensive tile.

Sorry for the crappy pictures.

I hope this post is helpful for anyone considering a similar project.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom remodel - Single Vanity to Double-screenshot_2016-07-25-21-31-11.png   Bathroom remodel - Single Vanity to Double-img_20160709_095518988.jpg   Bathroom remodel - Single Vanity to Double-img_20160727_191459811_hdr-large-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Looks great!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Appears to be a very attractive set of updates AND added functionality at a VERY good price!
For folks that question how some of the "TV shows" seem to get away with such modest costs you set a good example of how some creative use of sub-contractors can save LOTS of dough.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Appears to be a very attractive set of updates AND added functionality at a VERY good price!
For folks that question how some of the "TV shows" seem to get away with such modest costs you set a good example of how some creative use of sub-contractors can save LOTS of dough.
thanks chet

I did get one quote from a plumbing contractor that wanted 1500 (3x more then the guy I went with) to hook up the vanity/faucets and do the plumbing IN the vanity instead of in the wall. His reasoning for doing the plumbing in the vanity was fair (less plumbing in an exterior wall) However his price was exorbitant and was not what i had asked him to do.

The plumber I went with was a referral from a coworker and the tile guy I found on thumbtack. (got estimates from a few people on there, the one i chose gave me the best impression and had the best referrals/website)

Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 AM

It is often about finding good people that WANT to do the work. Of course, as some of those folks get better about "marketing" themselves and try to charge more it may be harder to get them to agree to more affordable rates, I ran into many times with various sub-contractors that I relied on to fix-up rental homes. It goes the other way too -- the guy that once was able to get very high rates in a busy environment may have to scramble when things slow down or other competitors do the same quality / speed of work at a lower rate...

Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Nicely done, chris!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Great job. I think it is interesting how the "vessel sinks" are becoming a PITA and people are getting rid of them. I never liked them and must they splash a lot from comments I have heard.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is often about finding good people that WANT to do the work. Of course, as some of those folks get better about "marketing" themselves and try to charge more it may be harder to get them to agree to more affordable rates, I ran into many times with various sub-contractors that I relied on to fix-up rental homes. It goes the other way too -- the guy that once was able to get very high rates in a busy environment may have to scramble when things slow down or other competitors do the same quality / speed of work at a lower rate...
Agreed, I just assumed that guy that quoted me so much didn't want/need the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nicely done, chris!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Great job. I think it is interesting how the "vessel sinks" are becoming a PITA and people are getting rid of them. I never liked them and must they splash a lot from comments I have heard.
I was never a big fan either, we bought the house with the sink. It never made sense to me why that bathroom only had one sink, yet plenty of room for two. The sink never seemed to splash too much but it was awkward. I also found it odd that they put in a fancy vessel sink and furniture style vanity but had laminate counters and vinyl flooring..

Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM

Default The answer with "fads" and "trends" often comes down to how "differerent" and how "easy" the swap is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
...I also found it odd that they put in a fancy vessel sink and furniture style vanity but had laminate counters and vinyl flooring..
I have been through the aisles of vanities with "fancy" top / sinks / faucets at the big box stores (inlcuding the warehouse clubs like Costco...) and the reason folks choose to replace their humdrum old vanity with these things is because it is CHEAP and easy.

As the OP found out, there are lots of plumber that will try to charge a very high price to re-arrange the supply and drain lines to accomodate a double vanity. This scares off the DIYs looking for a "WOW this looks so different" type update.

It also takes nearly no skill to disconnet the old vanity and plop down a "fancy" replacement. The skills / costs associated with making real functional upgrades to plumbing and flooring are a bit more of a barrier and folks do not want to risk getting into something that is "over their head".

Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Great job! I really love that cabinetry, just unusual enough to be really eye catching without going too far. Is the counter quartz or granite or ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House