Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times

Advertisements

Broken hot water pipe under the slab? Is your water meter turning when all your faucets & appliances are shut off?

On the water meter there are the numbers, the dial and a little triangle leak indicator.
Is the leak indicator completely still with everything off?

Do you have a recirculation system?

//www.city-data.com/forum/archi...hot-spots.html

Last edited by elnina; 08-02-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It could be gas lines. We have some hot areas and it is due to gas pipes running through.
I think gas lines under the floors are illegal.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,532,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think gas lines under the floors are illegal.
Our house has them.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Our house has them.
But they are sleeved and buried so deep, and so insulated, that you should not feel any heat coming from them.

G2415.12 (404.12) Piping Underground beneath Buildings. Piping installed underground beneath buildings is prohibited except where the piping is encased in a conduit of wrought iron, plastic pipe, steel pipe, or other approved conduit material designed to withstand the superimposed loads.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM

9,152 posts, read 14,801,612 times
Gas isn't hot so it wouldn't be that anyway.

OP, Can you clarify what you have installed in the home? Is it a recirc pump system?

Might want to either rent an infra red camera or buy a FLIR One or Seek Thermal camera for a smartphone. Could be quite instructive.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,091,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Broken hot water pipe under the slab? Is your water meter turning when all your faucets & appliances are shut off?

On the water meter there are the numbers, the dial and a little triangle leak indicator.
Is the leak indicator completely still with everything off?

Do you have a recirculation system?

//www.city-data.com/forum/archi...hot-spots.html
I checked the water meter with everything off and the dials didn't move. I looked at the 2 cu ft and half cu ft dials. I didn't notice the little triangle leak indicator, I will check it later today.

Yes, I have a hot water recirculation system but I am not familiar with it. The previous homeowner told me about it and let me know that I could make adjustments if needed. I left it alone.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,399,495 times
We have a development here where they are quite common. In fact the developer paid all the home owners involved $5,000 to replumb the hot through the attic.

There is in general no missing the problem. You get lots of water flow and hot floors.. The meter test is definitive. The triangular indicator spins not just turns. In some cases people are notified by the water company due to very excessive use.

I don't think you have the problem. Probably just some areas with limited insulation on the hot

Old 08-08-2016, 03:54 PM

936 posts, read 2,091,078 times
Even with the water meter not moving when water is not being used I got a plumber with sensor equipments to check for leakage anyway because the warm floor spots were giving me too much anxiety. He came and confirmed that there definitely warm spots but no leakage. He told me sometimes the pipes are installed very closed to the surface or limited insulation. Cost me $150 but I sleep much better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We have a development here where they are quite common. In fact the developer paid all the home owners involved $5,000 to replumb the hot through the attic.

There is in general no missing the problem. You get lots of water flow and hot floors.. The meter test is definitive. The triangular indicator spins not just turns. In some cases people are notified by the water company due to very excessive use.

I don't think you have the problem. Probably just some areas with limited insulation on the hot

Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM

4,573 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Thumbs up Thermal Imager FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Might want to either rent an infra red camera or buy a FLIR One or Seek Thermal camera for a smartphone. Could be quite instructive.
That's what I would do. You can rent a pretty good FLIR at Home Depot.

Get it for the whole day, when you're done with the serious work you can check out you pets, computer, automobile, or even your own footprints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House