Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Large gray dog?
Little gray dove?
Laughing garbly dolphin?
livestock guardian dog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_guardian_dog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_guardian_dog

Don't think they would work in the OP's situation - I'm not sure how you'd get an LGD to imprint on grass! - but these are awesome dogs.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-05-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Rabbits aren't particularly safe to prepare for eating in the summer around here. You don't need to wait around all day, as they are more active in the late evening and night. A pellet gun does work. Be aware that rabbits can host ticks and the diseases they carry. The more I'm reading about the variety of diseases and bacteria ticks have, the more concerned I am.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Wink Rabbits and squirrels are just rats with a better public image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Rabbits aren't particularly safe to prepare for eating in the summer around here. You don't need to wait around all day, as they are more active in the late evening and night. A pellet gun does work. Be aware that rabbits can host ticks and the diseases they carry. The more I'm reading about the variety of diseases and bacteria ticks have, the more concerned I am.
All the more reason to keep them off your lawn and reduce their population.

Trapping rabbits works, but then you have to fill a barrel with water and handle the flea & tick covered trap long enough to tip it in.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Rabbits are herbivores (vegetarians). Their excrement won't hurt your grass. I grew up in a residential suburb where many rabbits lived. They never posed a problem to anyone. I now live in a country area composed of short grass prairie and sagebrush desert environments which intersect on my place. The rabbits stay in the grass which they eat.

I advise enjoying their completely benign company. I feed them carrots every evening. It's always pleasant to watch them. My dog chases them for a few feet, then stops. She knows that she can't catch them.

Life already presents us with enough problems. Don't trouble yourself with one that doesn't exist.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:36 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Dog and/or electric netting.

Dog is cheaper and has other functions too.

I think the dog pee and poo will be more detrimental to the lawn than rabbit pee and poo.

Just sayin' !

Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I think the dog pee and poo will be more detrimental to the lawn than rabbit pee and poo.

Just sayin' !
I think you are undoubtedly right!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Just sayin' !
That is abssolutely correct. That's why I mentioned that rabbits are herbivores.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I'm not sure they're exclusively herbivores, unless you include bird seed. Lately I've been seeing rabbits in my fenced backyard every day eating seed that has fallen from the bird feeders (there's no grass there). The weird thing is that the rest of the yard is huge and full of nice green grass!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Any plant matter can be in an herbivore's diet. Seeds are very nutritious and tasty, certainly tastier than grass. Animals are no different from people in that they like things that taste good. I know that some species have individual preferences. I had a dog who preferred mashed potatoes to meat. He did, however, eat meat with great relish. In fact, he really enjoyed good food. He ate slowly and chewed everything well, obviously savoring it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore

Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
We have rabbits, and have never seen any evidence that the rabbits are negatively affecting the grass.

Sure, they'll nip tulips in the Spring (which I'm not thrilled about), but the grass itself they do no damage to. (and yes, there are plenty of piles of rabbit pellets in my yard - they just don't cause damage).

I have dogs, but as the dogs are indoor dogs and only go out side a few times a day, the rabbits are aware of that and come in through the fence when the dogs are not around.

Personally I enjoy watching the rabbits, their population is mostly kept in check by hawks and coyotes, those that survive to adulthood put on a good show scampering about in the grass.

Some garden centers sell scent-based products (similar to products meant to keep deer away) meant to discourage rabbits, but my guess is it would get tedious to treat your entire yard border and would have to retreat fairly often.

Personally, unless they're destroying a vegetable garden, I'd just let them be.

(even then I wouldn't kill the rabbits, but perhaps invest in rabbit-proof fencing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House