U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,210,898 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about removing the lint from the lint trap of the clothes dryer. I'm talking about having the dryer vent professionally cleaned. Do you all get that done and if so, how often? I had it done a few times where I used to live, but I haven't had it done yet in my current house and now I'm paranoid that my house might catch on fire. I plan to get it done this week, but I was just thinking that I'm sure some people NEVER get it done and they haven't had a fire yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 AM

9,214 posts, read 6,377,241 times
I clean ours out twice a year with the time change.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,083,808 times
The longest mine has stayed in one place is 3 years, and that's how often I've cleaned it (when moving, 5 times since purchase in 2004). It's never been very linty, the underside of our beds are worse after 6~8 months than the dryer has ever been, just for a perspective.

It's easy enough to do, 2 screws that hold on the front lower panel and a vacuum extension, but one of those things you really have to think about. Refrigerator coil cleaning is another on that's rarely thought/spoken of but essential to the proper function of the unit. I'd even say that the fridge has more of an impact (unless your dryer is gas) in that it costs you money on a daily basis, and more money if the coils are clogged up.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:07 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,315,253 times
We have a tool to do it ourselves. My husband does it about once a year.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 AM

24,366 posts, read 15,889,116 times
Never again. But I used to do it regularly.

We bought a ventless washer/dryer. One unit. Dirty clothes in; clean dry clothes out. No vent at all.

The way it works is, there is a heat pump inside. After the wash cycle it turns on the internal heat pump. The air goes through the hot coils and through the clothes.
Then the air goes through the cold coils where the air is cooled to remove moisture. The moisture is pumped down the drain.
Then the air goes through the hot coils and back through the clothes.

Round and round.
Takes a little longer than the old way, but we sure like it.
Ours is made by LG.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,210,898 times
I just had someone come out to clean it. It didn't take long but he said there was a lot of lint. What I didn't appreciate was that after he was done and I was confirming what I owed him, he added that I could include a tip. I thought that was rude. Don't suggest to me that I should tip you. That should be MY idea. Besides, you're not a waiter! The bad thing is that I went ahead and included a (small) tip since he put me on the spot like that. The final price with tip was $114.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,526,138 times
We do it once a year, using a kit bought at any big box store or Amazon. The kit attaches to a drill. Our vent goes through the roof, so DH tapes together the extender sections. He also gets on the roof and checks the vent. The first year he found a solid clump of lint there, but none since.

The first time it was done, it was pretty impressive, the house was 12 years old and the vent was probably never cleaned before. Since then we get some lint out, but not as scary as the first time. It's easy if you are a DIY type with basic skills, tools and < 2 hours to pull the dryer out, set up the kit with the drill, clean it, vacuum up after, put the dryer back and check the roof or through the the wall vent on the outside and disassembling the kit.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:02 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,994,503 times
Our dryer is directly vented out on the exterior wall the dryer is sitting up against. I can literally lift the flap and stick my hand into the dryer. BUT! If you want it done properly, you need to pull the front panel, and completely vacuum out the fan assembly, and the entire inside of the machine. You would be amazed at how much lint never makes it out of the dryer vent. Ours is gas fired, with just a small tube that contains the flame. It's a real eye opener when you actually open up the machine.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,047,233 times
I empty the lint trap after every use (about 3 loads from the washer), vacuum the trap area with an attachment twice a year, and I removed my exhaust duct (it's only 6 ft long and in the garage) once after 4 years. Surprisingly the duct was a little dusty, but there wasn't any lint clumps at all. YMMV.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:45 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,413,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Then the air goes through the hot coils and back through the clothes.
Still need to clean the coils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House