Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM

17,199 posts, read 57,021,707 times

Advertisements

I think it's worthwhile to ask what you are putting into your kitchen drains, OP. If you have a disposer and are using it a lot, IMHO you are asking for smells and for plumbing problems. Food waste is best composted, if not that, at least throw it in solid trash, don't be washing it down the drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,646,187 times
Proven remedies for smelly Kitchen drains? Remove garbage disposal. Proven to work 100%

Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,433,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How old is the house... ?
Assuming it has old galvanized pipes there is NO REAL FIX (short of replacing the lines).
The only Q then is how far out to the street you'll need to go.

Nothing that won't risk deeper damage (roto-rooter)
Only need to replace p-trap at the sink its self. Odor, just like sewer gas won't pass through the water that remains in the bend.

https://www.homerepairtutor.com/how-...ky-sink-drain/

Old 08-18-2016, 04:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
My kitchen drains about every 2-3 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Only need to replace p-trap at the sink its self.
I'm focused on the OP's "slow drain" problem
not the (symptomatic) smells from festering water.

I suggest that the OP do so as well.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,063,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Proven remedies for smelly Kitchen drains? Remove garbage disposal. Proven to work 100%

Exactly I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine on the phone this morning . why does everyone in the free world think that they have to have a garbage disposal ? I told her I don't even use the darn thing and my husband put over 200.00 into it and I told him no I did not want one in there to begin with and so he( as most men do ) just went right on in and did what he wanted to do which was to put one in . I hate it . I don't even use it . I use the trash can thank you much cheaper ...

Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,048,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Exactly I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine on the phone this morning . why does everyone in the free world think that they have to have a garbage disposal ? I told her I don't even use the darn thing and my husband put over 200.00 into it and I told him no I did not want one in there to begin with and so he( as most men do ) just went right on in and did what he wanted to do which was to put one in . I hate it . I don't even use it . I use the trash can thank you much cheaper ...
Oh please. Nobody puts a gun too anyone's head to install a garbage disposal.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:10 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,850,606 times
I use hydrogen peroxide in the bathtub drain because it smells bad in the summer. I think it's because the pipes get really hot when the sun hits the back of the house, and that makes the bacteria in the drain multiply. I just pour a bit of peroxide in the drain whenever I notice an odor, and it takes care of it for a few weeks.

For the kitchen drain, I use this: ZEP 64 oz. Drain Build Up Remover-ZLDC648 - The Home Depot about once a month.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,063,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Oh please. Nobody puts a gun too anyone's head to install a garbage disposal.
Oh I'm sorry no one is supposed to have a negative opinion according to this poster ....Oh please on you ..

Old 08-18-2016, 04:38 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,234,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm with you. Next house won't have one. Cost to replumb without one was way more than replacing the old one.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:12 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,141,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
My drain is also smelly. I use baking soda about once a week and might try adding the vinegar. I find myself using the trash can more and the disposal less.
Buy the cheapest white vinegar you can find, turn the water to a trickle, pour in baking soda, followed by vinegar. Let the water trickle until the baking soda disappears from view, and then try the same at the other side of the sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House