Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

If you have an old fashioned tub rather than fiberglass, you can get the liners that have a magnet in the hem. The magnet will stick to the tub and close the gap that water sprays through onto the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I have seen a transparent sliding door instead of bathtub curtain several times.
Is that practical? Pros and cons, please.
Thank you.
Shower curtains are dirty germy and tend to attack you while you shower. If I bought a house that required shower curtains, I would have that changed asap.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Shower curtains are dirty germy and tend to attack you while you shower. If I bought a house that required shower curtains, I would have that changed asap.
You are aware that shower curtains can be washed right? I've never been attacked by a shower curtain.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:37 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I have seen a transparent sliding door instead of bathtub curtain several times.
Is that practical? Pros and cons, please.
Thank you.

Get a frameless door.

http://www.wayfair.com/Dreamline-Aqu...3268.html?PiID[]=12811578&source=hotdeals

Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I have one, it's a pain to clean (some can get dirty fast after cleaning) and clean around BUT you don't have to worry about the curtain bringing water to the floor and side of the tub. I never cleaned curtains so I am not sure which are harder to clean...

Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
. I never cleaned curtains so I am not sure which are harder to clean...
Most go into the washer and dryer

Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I can't stand the looks of shower curtains in a bathroom. Some look nice, but most of the ones I see are gaudy and cheap looking. I hate it when they stick to me if I touch them while taking a shower. If they aren't tight to each end, they leak water out onto the floor.

The newer track-less sliders are a breeze to clean. You just spray some product on the tracks once a week and wipe. Other than the corners, there are no grooves for gunk to collect.

As for the glass doors, after EACH shower or bath, a one minute squeegee keeps them streak free and they look great. If you keep it up EVERY time, it truly isn't a big deal. IF you are the kind of person to get lazy, then you'll end up with water marks eventually.

HINT: we never use bar soap, always liquid or gel soap. Liquid will keep your tub and doors (or curtains) MUCH, MUCH cleaner. Liquids are also easier to squirt on a washcloth than rubbing a bar back and forth to get suds. You also don't end up with those disgusting pubes stuck on the bar.

Windex or some other glass cleaner on the outside every couple of weeks and that's it.

I bathed my grand-daughter in the tub last week when we were watching her for the night. I had no troubles kneeling and reaching over the track and we have a soaker tub that has higher than normal walls. No problems.

Last edited by gouligann; 08-22-2016 at 03:21 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 AM

149 posts, read 371,592 times
I love my shower curtain
No need to clean after each shower (as would have to do with doors)
I wash and dry it on our washing machine ant it is perfect
I got hooks at Target that are easy to put in and out

Old 08-22-2016, 05:42 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Shower curtains are dirty germy and tend to attack you while you shower.
If you only have the curtain or liner, and not both, the air circulation can blow it towards you and make it attack you. But if you put the curtain on the outside of the tub, and the liner on the inside of the tub, that solves that problem.

If you get the ends of the liner wet, then press them against the tub and wall, they will stick, and prevent water from getting on the floor.

One big advantage of a shower curtain and liner is that you can get new ones whenever you want to, because they don't cost much.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
There are liners with magnets. Even so, the ones I have do not have magnets and don't attack me.

I have the liner on the inside and the nice (yes, you can buy nice shower curtains that are neither gaudy nor cheap) curtain on the outside. I have a double-curved rod. Maybe it's because it curves in, and maybe because I don't have kids, but I do not have problems keeping water from getting out and around the sides of the tub.

I am lazy so I would probably not squeegee everyday.

I also find bars of soap leave crud but what I did for my current bathroom (which I find helps just as much as not using it) was that I do not leave the soap sitting around---it still sits in a dish on the shelf. And that pretty much cuts down any soap scum that normally forms on the wall near where the soap usually sits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House