Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM

762 posts, read 610,984 times

Advertisements

I admit I neglected my bathtub and that I shouldn't have. I'm moving out and have tried cleaning out these deep dirt stains with vinegar, bleach, and baking soda. I've gotten out some stains that weren't that deep but the rest is still there. I Googled what to do for this and it's those things. I then found out you need to clean based on the material that your tub is made of. I have no idea if it's porcelain or acrylic. It's a shiny, thick white tub with a heavy, sturdy feel. Any ideas on how to clean it further? Someone suggested buying something called Bar Keeper's Friend but I don't know which product to consider buying. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Determining the material you're trying to clean is definitely your first step.

From your description I'd say cast iron porcelain. If you hit it with your hand, or give it a light kick, it should have a very dull kinda "bong". If it sounds more like a big bell, it's porcelain steel.

The next step would be determining what kind of stain. Then you can approach the stain with the correct cleaner.

Bar Keeper's Friend is great for SS- and it's possible it might work on your stains. However, BKF is a mild abrasive and most manufacturers of porcelain products will warn against using abrasive cleaners- it basically dulls the shine of the porcelain. But, when you're talking decades old porcelain, usually the shine is gone- also the reason for stains.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Determining the material you're trying to clean is definitely your first step.

From your description I'd say cast iron porcelain. If you hit it with your hand, or give it a light kick, it should have a very dull kinda "bong". If it sounds more like a big bell, it's porcelain steel.

The next step would be determining what kind of stain. Then you can approach the stain with the correct cleaner.

Bar Keeper's Friend is great for SS- and it's possible it might work on your stains. However, BKF is a mild abrasive and most manufacturers of porcelain products will warn against using abrasive cleaners- it basically dulls the shine of the porcelain. But, when you're talking decades old porcelain, usually the shine is gone- also the reason for stains.
What's SS? I'll do the hand test and report back lol TY

Old 08-23-2016, 09:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
...but I don't know which product to consider buying. Thanks
CLR.

But the good stuff like the Zep product sold at HD
Attached Thumbnails
Deep stains in bathtub-shopping.jpg  

Old 08-23-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
CLR.

Will look into that too. TY

Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
CLR.

I went to HD's website. There's a million Zep products. Do I get the one specifically meant for bathtubs or the LCR Zep products? This is overwhelming lol. I usually just buy products at the 99 cent store.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
CLR works wonders.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
What's SS?

Stainless Steel

Old 08-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
CLR works wonders.

If the stains are one of those factors. That's the part I mentioned in my first post- gotta know what the stain is before just throwing some crap at it! One could literally spend $50 on "cleaners" that do nothing because they didn't know or understand what is/caused the stain.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
I admit I neglected my bathtub and that I shouldn't have. I'm moving out and have tried cleaning out these deep dirt stains with vinegar, bleach, and baking soda. I've gotten out some stains that weren't that deep but the rest is still there. I Googled what to do for this and it's those things. I then found out you need to clean based on the material that your tub is made of. I have no idea if it's porcelain or acrylic. It's a shiny, thick white tub with a heavy, sturdy feel. Any ideas on how to clean it further? Someone suggested buying something called Bar Keeper's Friend but I don't know which product to consider buying. Thanks
Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? It helped with my tub. I don't know what the heck the previous owner was cleaning it with but he wasn't doing a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House