Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 67,842 times

Advertisements

We believe our house was built on an Indian burial ground. Seriously, this new house is custom built and over $500K yet everything is going wrong. We've been living in this house for approx. 9 months. During this time, 7 pieces of our vinyl siding has fallen off which the builder has put back on. Two of them fell off 2x.

Approx. 2 months ago or so, we noticed that a whole side of our house's siding has this wavy "melted" look. The builder states that it's because the house is built such that the sun hits the energy saving windows which reflects the sun onto the siding melting it. I asked them not to replace the vinyl there until a solution to this issue could be found. They instead went and replaced the siding which in 1 month's time, has started melting again. They state this is not their fault and we will have to keep replacing the siding. They stated that neither the siding or window company is at fault.

They stated our only option is to maybe put up some trees in front of the windows, however, 2 things - that would take all the light out of our basement and 2nd, wouldn't that sun burn the trees? Also, the area where it's melting is also the same area where one piece of siding fell off 2x (could be coincidence).
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior Siding of New House is "Melting"-2.jpg   Exterior Siding of New House is "Melting"-3.jpg   Exterior Siding of New House is "Melting"-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard78 View Post
2nd, wouldn't that sun burn the trees?
Think about that for a minute....

Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 PM

436 posts, read 521,329 times
They sell window film that helps with this issue. Might be worth looking into.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-01-2016 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
There are screens you can buy for the windows to prevent this, but it will also cut the amount of light.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM

26 posts, read 67,842 times
We've been looking at different films/screens, etc. Have contacted places like 3M but they said they don't know if they will actually work to solve the problem but it's worth trying. For the screens, the builder told us we would have to purchase the windows that open vertically vs. the swing arm ones. I am open to trying anything though.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:07 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Three permenent options-
Turn the house 45degrees
Remove the window
Replace the vinyl siding with fiber-cement siding

A good read-
Window Reflections Can Melt Vinyl Siding | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Old 08-31-2016, 07:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
All this BS for the cheap price of putting solar screens on the house. Your builder apparently isn't too sharp otherwise this easily resolved issue would be gone.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
The problem is even worse when houses are built so close together that one owner's windows reflect on the second owner's vinyl, causing damage. Who pays for remediation? I hope now that builders are aware of the potential problem it will happen less often, either by a change in materials or architectural tricks. In our area near Raleigh new houses in planned developments are not allowed to be built with vinyl siding anymore.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
It's kind of hard to tell since we can't see a very large area, but was the siding hung properly? Vinyl siding must be hung so that the siding can expand and contract and slide on the nails. That is the reason they have nail slots and the nails must go in the center of the slot, loose enough so the siding can slide. If the nails are too tight or placed at the ends of the slots, particularly opposite ends, so the siding can't slide, it will buckle and look wavy when it gets warm and expands. As I said, I can't really tell by looking at this on my phone, but it is something to consider.

I worked at a building materials supplier for 38 years. I sold a lot of vinyl siding during that time and never heard of a single instance of vinyl siding "melting" from the reflection of the sun off of windows.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
It's kind of hard to tell since we can't see a very large area, but was the siding hung properly? Vinyl siding must be hung so that the siding can expand and contract and slide on the nails. That is the reason they have nail slots and the nails must go in the center of the slot, loose enough so the siding can slide. If the nails are too tight or placed at the ends of the slots, particularly opposite ends, so the siding can't slide, it will buckle and look wavy when it gets warm and expands. As I said, I can't really tell by looking at this on my phone, but it is something to consider.

I worked at a building materials supplier for 38 years. I sold a lot of vinyl siding during that time and never heard of a single instance of vinyl siding "melting" from the reflection of the sun off of windows.
I was just getting ready to post that. The reason it keeps happening is because the builder is hanging the vinyl incorrectly each time. Vinyl must be allowed to expand and contract. I would almost guarantee that's the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House