Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

GPC, I do hope you realize that there are many people that just read the first post and respond to that....without bothering to read the whole thread. If they had, they may not have posted some of the things they did. But then again.....

Try not to let them get to you. I tend to chuckle and move on.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
LOL, it takes a fellow New Yorker to understand!
Is it really a New York thing? My neighbor, who is New York born and bred, is the first one out with his snow blower after a big storm. He clears all of our driveways and sidewalks before the rest of us drag our sorry butts out of bed!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
GPC, I do hope you realize that there are many people that just read the first post and respond to that....without bothering to read the whole thread. If they had, they may not have posted some of the things they did. But then again.....

Try not to let them get to you. I tend to chuckle and move on.
Thanks, no worries, I chuckle and move on too!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:15 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Is it really a New York thing? My neighbor, who is New York born and bred, is the first one out with his snow blower after a big storm. He clears all of our driveways and sidewalks before the rest of us drag our sorry butts out of bed!
There are obviously always going to be people that don't fit the stereotype - no matter what that stereotype may be.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I am from Mount Vernon, NY which is an urban suburb with a rough inner city reputation right on the Bronx border. Yet, we have had neighbors who shoveled each others walks, dug out cars, helped neighbors clean out fallen wood after storms, etc.

Then you never talk to them. Maybe a brief nod of recognition :-)

Old 09-10-2016, 11:57 AM

671 posts, read 1,118,837 times
You didn't notice a chain saw running outside your bedroom window??
Neighbors around here are only seen during a snow storm when we all get out to dig out the cars. I have my issues with some of that but I have to say it is nice to see a group help one another.
Were there insurance issues? Did you call you agent? If it hit the roof on the way down you might have damage.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:06 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
We had no intention of hiring anyone. My husband was going to do it on Sunday. It could've waited one day. We'll thank him but I'm not paying someone for work I didn't ask them to do.

As far as New Yorkers are concerned, there's a reason for the way they're stereotyped.
Yeah and it's a nasty stereotype also. One NOT to be proud of.

Fine. And the next time when you need help. I hope he let's you drown.
When you're house is on fire I hope he doesn't call the fire department.
If your car is hit, I hope he "didn't see a thing."
If he see you're husband lying on the lawn hurt or having a heart attack from cutting the next tree or mowing the lawn, he should let him stay there.

Why such an attitude when people were trying to help you…..

Old 09-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah and it's a nasty stereotype also. One NOT to be proud of.

Fine. And the next time when you need help. I hope he let's you drown.
When you're house is on fire I hope he doesn't call the fire department.
If your car is hit, I hope he "didn't see a thing."
If he see you're husband lying on the lawn hurt or having a heart attack from cutting the next tree or mowing the lawn, he should let him stay there.

Why such an attitude when people were trying to help you…..
A bit harsh don't you think? Especially when the OP, further into the thread, admitted to overthinking this.

Allrighty then.

*chuckling and movin' on*

Old 09-10-2016, 12:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
There are obviously always going to be people that don't fit the stereotype - no matter what that stereotype may be.
What's that line about sowing and reaping?

Old 09-10-2016, 12:23 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I think many of you are missing the main point: It was an excuse/opportunity for the neighbor fella to use his chainsaw! Maybe it's just me but I love running my chain saw. Tree need trimmed? Get out the chain saw. Neighbor's tree loses a big branch? Get out the chain saw.

I just put mine in the shop yesterday for a tune up and new chain. Then it's time to trim trees. Yippee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House