Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 02:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times

Advertisements

Living in the climate I live in now where it snows/gets icy very rarely.. I would certainly buy a place without a garage. I don't care for street parking though, so I would prefer at least a driveway.

However, in a snowy climate with a lot of inclement weather, I would much prefer having a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
What I would not do is buy a house where the garage had been turned into a room.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 PM

120 posts, read 110,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I live in Oakland and thankfully not had a problem.

That said just about everyone I know that parks on the street has had problems... mostly sideswipe damage to cars being totaled...

Can't street how important it is to have at least off street parking and even more so with density increasing... hard to find a street spot the last few years.
I only recently bought a car, so far hasn't been an issue. It's just the way I was raised, even if I lived alone on a mountain somewhere I'd want my wallet, ID, whatever important items near me. And if I'm taking those important things out, might as well lug the whole thing. But my paranoia isn't what this thread is about

Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
No. Whether I use the garage or not I would still want one.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
No garage, attached or detached, or even a driveway?

I pass quite a few homes that only have on-street parking. Some are upscale homes. No garage, carport or driveway.

I like to be able to keep my cars clean and safe. I usually leave my purse and some other items in my car overnight.

I would hate to have to scrape ice off my windshield in the winter, or dig my car out of the snow.

Besides, it is just convenient, and in my opinion safer, to be able to pull in the garage and shut the door behind you.
I will never live in a house without a garage, if I can help it. I have always kept my car in the garage and I have no desire to ever do otherwise.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:59 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Would I buy a home without a garage? Never..never..never...need I go on?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
No garage, attached or detached, or even a driveway?

I pass quite a few homes that only have on-street parking. Some are upscale homes. No garage, carport or driveway.

I like to be able to keep my cars clean and safe. I usually leave my purse and some other items in my car overnight.

I would hate to have to scrape ice off my windshield in the winter, or dig my car out of the snow.

Besides, it is just convenient, and in my opinion safer, to be able to pull in the garage and shut the door behind you.
I like how you don't want to "dig [your] car out of the snow" but are fine with digging your entire driveway out of the snow....

Old 09-14-2016, 09:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I like how you don't want to "dig [your] car out of the snow" but are fine with digging your entire driveway out of the snow....
I have a fairly short driveway but it's still a whole lot easier to clear that than it is to dig a car out. I speak from many years of living in Boston without a garage and have dug my car out more times than I want to count.

And if I had a longer driveway, I'd have a plowing service come and clear it when needed.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
A lot of the newer starter homes in the under $600K range do not have any parking spaces. This development really got under the neighbor's skin as there is barely any room to park a car on the street in front of each of the homes:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/67...home/108431184

Old 09-15-2016, 06:53 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Nope, I still say it's STUPID. Just because the market is full of stupid people who prefer the garage turned into a bungalow or whatever, does not mean doing it is not stupid.

The only way it's not stupid is to do it and then sell out, move to a more reasonable COL area.
My house is only 1,400 square feet for a family of five. I would say 2/3rds of neighbors made attached garage living space. Nearly all illegally.

You need an engineer, architect,drawings, licensed plumber estimates, licensed electrician estimates, contractor estimates and permit fees just to submit an application for an extension.

The extension always goes way over budget then your taxes skyrocket. You house value does not shoot up extra square feet as taxes shoot up.

Lots of folks buy a large Amish type shed, they convert garage and leave door on it from outside so tax man dont see.

When they sell, they "gift" the garage conversion as is with no CO or tell new owner, cut sheetrock behind door and convert back.

The vast majority of neighbors have leased cars or used cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House