Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
No. You posting this thread is the reason why. When you try to sell it, others will wonder and ask the same thing. It will drive buyers away. Plus, I use the heck out of my garage.
Only if not having the garage is unique.

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Raleigh/11.../home/41082972 is an example in my city. The house will certainly sell. In that neighborhood for that size/style house you need to be over $1M for a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Also, if you don't have a garage where do you park bicycles? Wagons and scooters?

I am very particular about keeping two bays clear for the cars but the third bay is where we keep the bikes and such.
Inside, on the porch, in the entryway...
I remember that exact same yard chair that we would set out after shoveling out Grandma.

Quote:
"Sissys" who like to protect the investment they have in their vehicles. Sun, hail, tree branches along with other hazards take a toll on cars parked outside.

I park in a covered parking garage now but at a previous job where employees had to park in a lot my car was damaged three times during work hours. Once by hail and two other times by vandalism.

Your vehicle is an investment and it makes good sense to protect it.
A car is no investment. Its a rapidly depreciating asset. It is a whole into which you throw money. Some cars more money than others. Parking the car outside versus in generally doesn't extend its useful mechanical life, especially if you have to drive outside anyway. Might you get more money on resale/trade in if it were parked inside its whole life and the paint didn't show sun damage? Yes. But your talking maybe $2k over 10 year period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
My auto insurance provides a nice discount if you garage your vehicles.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
This. As I said in the other thread, I'm a car guy and could live in a 10 car garage with a lean-to for sleeping.
Not as extreme, but I too prefer more garage than living space. A lot more. As it is, a three-car garage is minimum just to get by. And I am not even a car nut. The rear of the bay that is a tandem unit houses a long trailer and some kayaks. The bay is long enough to park my truck and still leave plenty of space around it. The trailer and kayaks definitely do NOT fit anywhere else in the house, even if maneuvering around them were not a problem.

Garages are just so darned useful for so many things and hobbies.

Last edited by pikabike; 09-14-2016 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Our average low from November to February is 10deg, not factoring the wind. Come up here and try to do some auto maintenance or hobby work in those conditions.
Average low here January and February here is 14°F. Lots of older houses don't have garages.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Too bad for them. A lot of the older homes in town here have back street/alley garages. Very common.

4 months of hard winter temps sort of dictates those things.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Too bad for them. A lot of the older homes in town here have back street/alley garages. Very common.
Alleys are rare in Massachusetts for whatever reason. Some have squeezed a standalone garage onto their property, hard to fit in many cases

Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

A car is no investment. Its a rapidly depreciating asset. It is a whole into which you throw money. Some cars more money than others. Parking the car outside versus in generally doesn't extend its useful mechanical life, especially if you have to drive outside anyway. Might you get more money on resale/trade in if it were parked inside its whole life and the paint didn't show sun damage? Yes. But your talking maybe $2k over 10 year period.
I own and have owned a lot of cars and never have sold one for less than paid.

Even back in High School I would buy sub $1000 cars and drive them until a better one comes along and then sell for more than I had into it... rust is not an issue where I live.

Even my daily driver... a 1991 Silverado Styleside is worth about double than I paid 12 years ago...

In all the cars I have bought only one was new and I would lose a lot on that one... so I guess I will just need to keep it forever

Old 09-14-2016, 10:53 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
In my lifetime, I've run through the following:

1.) Lived in a converted-to-apartments house in Germany, where you could only park on one side of the street (this due to the roads in the village predating the automobile, they simply weren't wide enough to allow parking on both sides.) There was a driveway, but I let the family who had regular hours (and a small baby) use it, so I parked on the street. I also worked odd hours, which meant sometimes I'd be coming home at oh-dark-thirty in a German winter, trying to find parking. Plus trying to get snow and ice off in a German winter. One time, another neighbor hit a patch of ice, struck my car, and sent it flying down the street. It was done after that.

2.) Lived in an apartment complex in Tulsa, OK. Car was broken into. Nothing was taken (guess my Duran Duran cassette tapes didn't appeal to them.) Car also got very hot in the summer, sitting outside all day (I worked a lot of mid and night shifts at the time.)

3.) Lived in an apartment in Denver. Scraping off snow and ice got old, quick.

As far as I'm concerned, a garage is guaranteed parking, keeps your car (more) safe, and eliminates the problem of dealing with the elements (extreme cold, heat, hail, snowstorms, etc.) So no, I wouldn't be inclined to buy a place without a garage.

Yes, I do realize that people could break into a garage and break into the car, but I figure they're *less* likely to do so. Nothing is entirely risk-free.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 AM

120 posts, read 110,355 times
Quote:
No garage, attached or detached, or even a driveway?

I like to be able to keep my cars clean and safe. I usually leave my purse and some other items in my car overnight.

...wow location is everything I see. I leave nothing in the interior of my car and my trunk locked.

Of course I live in oakland, CA and I'd do that even if I had a garage.

Still, this seems like not a safe habit to practice, in my opinion

To your original it goes back to location, if I lived someplace with a brutal winter than it'd have to be a really good bargain for that house (not just a cheap house) I'd consider it.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
1.) Lived in a converted-to-apartments house in Germany, where you could only park on one side of the street (this due to the roads in the village predating the automobile, they simply weren't wide enough to allow parking on both sides.) There was a driveway, but I let the family who had regular hours (and a small baby) use it, so I parked on the street. I also worked odd hours, which meant sometimes I'd be coming home at oh-dark-thirty in a German winter, trying to find parking. Plus trying to get snow and ice off in a German winter. One time, another neighbor hit a patch of ice, struck my car, and sent it flying down the street. It was done after that.
Sounds like the street I lived in for some years in this area (moved about 10 miles away). Rarely had trouble finding street parking though, and no accidents. I went about half street parking and half driveway. Only drove maybe twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House