Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:49 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
so get one now and start taking lessons. There's nothing that says only children can learn to play musical instruments.
I actually did take piano lessons when I got to college and we had pianos we could use. I wish I could have played as a child, though. I always envied the kids who could; they got to play piano during programs, assemblies, etc.

Whenever I went to the home of a friend after school to play and there was a piano in the house, that is where I would be. I was always trying to teach myself how to play. Sometimes I would get one of my friends to teach me a few things. So I learned scales, Chopsticks, some simple tunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:56 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And the context of the previous statement about lack of pianos was that kids today are not trying to imitate rock stars for their piano playing ability, thus have no great desire to get a piano and learn to play well.

Plenty of rock stars play the saxophone but kids aren't running out to buy saxophones to play, either.
Actually, my daughter started playing sax in 4th grade. Now in high school has three saxophones: alto, tenor and soprano. And she plays in jazz band, marching band and orchestra.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The playing of musical instruments isnt as prevalent as it was a generation or two ago.
as some one who is in the process of giving away a full size upright piano i've found that most people who want pianos these days go for an electronic keyboard rather than a traditional piano as it doesnt take up so much space and its portable.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I took piano lessons for about 8 years. I'm very grateful to my parents for that. It's really enriched my life.

To me, no matter the quality of the keyboard, it's just not the same. Nothing feels or sounds quite like those "real" keys. That being said, I understand why people buy keyboards. My daughter is married to a guy in the military and they move every three years or so. Three of her four kids take piano lessons and play well, but they have a keyboard - it's a lot easier to move, that's for sure!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Actually, my daughter started playing sax in 4th grade. Now in high school has three saxophones: alto, tenor and soprano. And she plays in jazz band, marching band and orchestra.
I'm sure in this country of 350 million people you can find a few (thousand) exceptions but that doesn't change the fact that the percentage of kids learning to play piano or sax these days is very small.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
A friend of mine bought a used piano lost year. I think he only paid like $100 plus a little more to have it delivered. Then he had to pay to have it tuned. He plays at piano bars and also plays the accordion. A few years ago I went to a friend of a friend's home and he had a small baby grand in a section of the living room. i didn't know he played.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Free pianos off of Craigslist are a losing proposition. Besides the moving of it - which if done by your Uncle Fred and his mate and not professional piano movers will likely result in irreparable damage to both the instrument and Uncle Fred's lower back - if that piano has been sitting for 10, 20 years without regular tuning it's going to be an expensive endeavor to get it back into playing shape. Pianos need proper string tension and maintenance to avoid breaking down. Which they do very quickly. In the studio world, pianos are tuned once a week when idle and prior to every session if they're being played that day.

If you aren't going to invest in tuning it regularly then you really are better off with a digital option.

Unfortunately, most people's experience with domestic/consumer grade digital keyboards are those awful plastic numbers that cost 100 bucks or less. Well, you get what you pay for. Those are not indicative of the really great pro options on the market. Yes they're more expensive, but if you're serious about playing they'll be so satisfying that it will be worth it. It's just that most amateur players aren't aware of what's out there.

Some I like -

Nord Piano 3

Nord Piano 3 Hammer Action 88 keys

Roland RD 700 nx

Roland RD-800 88-key Stage Piano | Sweetwater.com

Kurzweil SP5-8

Kurzweil SP5-8

There are lots of other options that are a bit less expensive, but the Nord has exceptionally authentic piano action, right down to the sound of the hammers moving before they even strike the strings. Also, you have free access to all their new piano sounds as they make them. So it's like getting new grands in your mailbox every 6 months.

Your other option is to buy a weighted 88 key midi controller and trigger software pianos on your Mac laptop using Garageband - which is a free app that comes with OS X. You can buy some amazing 3rd party piano sample plug ins. If anyone would like to do this dm me and I'll talk you through it.

If you are reading this on your Mac laptop - go ahead and boot up Garageband, load up one of the two inbuilt piano samples, and you can actually play it on your laptop keyboard. Just turn on "Show musical typing" in the window menu, use the keys to trigger notes, and use the x and z keys to go up or down an octave.

Now that is nothing like playing a piano. But it's super fun, nonetheless.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There are lots of other options that are a bit less expensive, but the Nord has exceptionally authentic piano action, right down to the sound of the hammers moving before they even strike the strings. Also, you have free access to all their new piano sounds as they make them. So it's like getting new grands in your mailbox every 6 months.
You'll also need the sound system to accurately reproduce those sounds.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You'll also need the sound system to accurately reproduce those sounds.
Sure, or a nice pair of headphones.

There are plenty of good quality self powered studio monitors that aren't particularly expensive, but very hi fi, and quite loud.

That's one of the benefits of having a digital keyboard - if you want to practice you can pop your headphones on and play loud to your heart's content, without bothering the entire house.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Owning piano is the first step. Piano lessons are expensive.

15 years ago I already paid $100/hr for my kid on individual piano lesson. Violin lessons were cheaper -- $70/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House