Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Yes, a converted garage turned into a family room is definitely a deal breaker to some potential buyers. People tend to prefer to park their cars in a garage than rather leave them outside. Generally, I think that hurts the resale value of a home with a converted garage in many areas of the country.
Yes, I agree. That is such a cheap way to gain living areas. The house next door converted their double garage into a maids quarters but at least left the garage door there so you don't know that it is converted. My cars have always been "garage queens " and we have been able to keep them for many years because of that. I also like having the storage space for yard maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your example neither ruined nor hurt resale.
A duct is replaceable.

You cannot get a house passed for VA or FHA financing if the appraiser notices there is no heat in a bedroom in a cold climate....He probably just missed it

Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,269 times
As a retired Realtor I have a bunch but the best one was an old lady who had a house with a yard...When she could no longer cut the grass she had a contractor concrete the whole yard so she wouldn't get a letter from the township for uncut grass....Try and sell that house!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
It seems here (Northern California) either everything has to completely done over, brand new and unused to sell, and it can all be Home Depot basic, just fine, or the person buying will gut and redo. I have a place in the building I work at that was gutted and redone 7 years ago. Just sold. And they are now gutting and redoing.

Someday when we retire, I want to buy a house and do just that. I really hate ranges, I want a cook top and wall ovens. I don't want a huge kitchen, I want a very workable practical kitchen.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I've done things that enhanced the value of a house, but I can't think of anything I ever did that hurt the value or made it harder to sell. The two homes that I have sold both went within a month of being listed at a higher price than they were offered at.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
He probably just missed it
Again, the buyer knew, because the home inspector noted it and put it in his report.
They also, of course, made an offer below asking. But from what I recall it wasn't by much.
My friend, the seller, made one counter and the buyers accepted.

Quote:
Yes, I agree. That is such a cheap way to gain living areas.
Tha'ts why owners do that instead of having an addition built. "Stick built" construction ain't cheap, the foundation alone can be a price killer. So of course it's easier, faster and less expensive to 'finish off' a garage that's already there.

Quote:
Yes, I agree. That is such a cheap way to gain living areas. The house next door converted their double garage into a maids quarters but at least left the garage door there so you don't know that it is converted.
I saw a couple of houses like that at open house. I ALWAYS felt like it was bait and switch and I personally was pihssed. If I see a garage door I wanted a garage I can put my car in -- not a storage room only 8 feet deep, because you enlaced the rest for a family room, and didn't change out the frigging garage door.

I guess people do that so they can either convert it back to a garage before they sell. BUT usually it's done so a new buyer can convert it back. BUT those sellers may not want to discount their price to allow for that. The mental disconnect of some sellers is fascinating. I want today uh "hello, seller you have a garage door there but it's not a garage."

The other total turn off, as someone else mentioned, is the enclosed garage that's just wall or siding -- no window or door! (on the front, just one that might be on the side). Talk about ruining curb appeal.

Last edited by selhars; 09-19-2016 at 01:57 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
As a retired Realtor I have a bunch but the best one was an old lady who had a house with a yard...When she could no longer cut the grass she had a contractor concrete the whole yard so she wouldn't get a letter from the township for uncut grass....Try and sell that house!!!
but did she have it painted green like the owners of a townhouse not far from me?

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Yes, a converted garage turned into a family room is definitely a deal breaker to some potential buyers. People tend to prefer to park their cars in a garage than rather leave them outside. Generally, I think that hurts the resale value of a home with a converted garage in many areas of the country.
We looked at a house one time that had a garage converted into a den/family room. The bad thing in this case was that there was no driveway or any other parking, so whoever bought it would have to park on the street. Instant turn off. The house was large enough without the conversion, so I didn't really understand it.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
I would have LOVED that house, and for me the concrete yard would have been a big plus! But then, I'm another old lady who can no longer cut grass....

I haven't had the courage to do what she did, so instead I just pay a lawn guy to cut it. That works just fine for me, but if my budget was tighter I wouldn't like paying for that.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
You cannot get a house passed for VA or FHA financing if the appraiser notices there is no heat in a bedroom in a cold climate....He probably just missed it
He didn't miss it.
There are other options for buying.
So it still did not hurt resale.

And...as I said - The ductwork can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House