Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,203 times

Advertisements

"If the driver can use a 120V input, why do I need a 12V dimmer between power and driver?"
When you use the dimmer control you are reducing the 120v input your P/S is required to work on, from 0 to 120v. You can't reduce the input voltage unless the driver is designed for that reduced voltage, you must use the full 120 volts or it won't function property. You can compensate and still be able to dim the lights by using a 12v dimmer after the voltage has been reduced down to 12 volts.
It sounds like you don't wish to use the 12v dimmer and instead you want to reduce the input voltage by use of a 120v wall dimmer switch. The only way that is possible is to us a dimmable driver designed to work with that switch.
It would appear that your driver is a standard, non dimmable 120V, and won't work with your dimmer switch.
My Chinese isn't very good, but it does look like they sent you a 220v P/S. Many countries use what would be considered odd voltages by American standards. Some countries use 220V as standard. 220 is more efficient but not as practical, that's why USA uses 110-120 as standard.
You supplier should be able to tell you if that driver is dimmable and if it will work with your 110V dimmer switch. If it does require a constant voltage, it will not function properly when you reduce the voltage with the dimmer switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
leds can not use a conventional dimmer
I don't know as much about electrical stuff as you do - but I don't think you can say this as an all-encompassing rule. We have old fashioned cans in some ceilings. And replaced the old conventional bulbs with new LED bulbs. And the old dimmers work on those new (dimmable) LED bulbs. Knock wood - I don't have to look for help . Robyn

Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM

936 posts, read 2,082,088 times
Actually I was replacing my smaller COSTCO round LED light that was working fine with the old Dimmer Switch. The only problem was the lumen rating, at 1400, is not high enough. I need roughly 3000 lumens. It is so hard to buy an LED light fixture with over 2500 lumens in the US. There is nothing on Amazon. I ended up buying the LED from China which didn't turn out well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't know as much about electrical stuff as you do - but I don't think you can say this as an all-encompassing rule. We have old fashioned cans in some ceilings. And replaced the old conventional bulbs with new LED bulbs. And the old dimmers work on those new (dimmable) LED bulbs. Knock wood - I don't have to look for help . Robyn

Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Let's keep it real simple Jimmy- if you already have a remote control dimmer built into the LED fixture, you do not want any kind of dimmer on the power switch. Just replace that dimmer switch with a standard On-Off switch.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:47 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
it isn't the fact the old dimmer works , it is the fact you happen to get one that is led compatible . in fact it even varies between lamp model and dimmer .

lutron is one of the largest dimmer manufacturers . you can see on their compatibility list how many different model dimmers there are to mate to the different led lamps .

some may work with other models but cause dangerous over heating . to the eye it looks like a match because the lamps dim but it really isn't .

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/Lutron..._Bulb_list.pdf

Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it isn't the fact the old dimmer works , it is the fact you happen to get one that is led compatible . in fact it even varies between lamp model and dimmer .

lutron is one of the largest dimmer manufacturers . you can see on their compatibility list how many different model dimmers there are to mate to the different led lamps .

some may work with other models but cause dangerous over heating . to the eye it looks like a match because the lamps dim but it really isn't .

http://www.bulbs.com/learning/Lutron..._Bulb_list.pdf
So far - so good. Our electrical is all Lutron - and we tried to pick the most compatible bulbs to go with the wiring/switches we have. Robyn

Old 09-29-2016, 04:08 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,203 times
Quote:
So far - so good. Our electrical is all Lutron - and we tried to pick the most compatible bulbs to go with the wiring/switches we have. Robyn
Several people in here continue to discuss how the dimmer works with LED bulbs.
The OP is working with an LED light strip, a completely different matter and has NOTHING to to with how LED bulbs work. You are attempting to mix apples with oranges...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House