Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing about a heater that uses a quarts light and copper to produce heat. The one I have heard about is called Eden Pure. There might be other brands.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of heater? Do they work? Would this type of heater heat a two car garage or at least keep it above freezing during an Ohio winter.
Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We received an Eden Pure as a Christmas present. It's okay, but I am glad that I didn't purchase it myself. I still have to turn up the heat and only feel the warmth if I am standing right in front of it. I have also read poor reviews online. My utility bills have not gone down; however, we have not turned on our gas fireplace this year. If we did, our bills might be higher. In all, I would not purchase the Eden Pure.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Consumers Reports rated it as the worst of the worst and absurdly expensive for what you get.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Thanks for the replies. I kinda suspected the Eden Pure heater would have a hard time living up to its billing.
Guess I'll forget about one.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 23,991 times
Talking Love my Eden Pure

I have a Gen3 1000 and it works great. This is not a forced air heater, so it will not blast you like your furnace does, but the copper does heat up and will continuously give off heat, there is a fan so it does blow some hot air. Given time it will heat a room very evenly. If you put it away from the coldest wall as instructed, heat will transfer nicely. I have been running it for about 6-8 weeks and the furnace rarely turns on (very exciting at $2.50/gal for LP) My electric bills have been $130 and $93 dollars (bill is typically about $100 in the winter). Considering the $400+ gas bills I had last year at $1.97/Gallon, I am very satisfied with my Eden Pure!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
did you get one of those "authorized discount claim form"s from eden pure too?

i have an oscillating ceramic heater i bought at home depot for about $40; it is awesome.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 32,312 times
We researched every "safe/less flamable/space heater" on the planet- Eden pure kept leaping out even with the bad/negative reviews and comments- WE LOVE THEM- We could not believe the differnce within 24hrs of turning them on as far as comfort and room temp control supplement. Our heat is propane and at over 3.00 per gallon the fact that the heat only comes on 1 maybe 2 times a day is great. The unit is expensive but so far we are pleased that it does not get hot and sends out an even stream of warm air with no eye drying results. We also gave dogs and it does not attract them like other space heaters we have tried so that they lay up against it and singe themselves. We will know better when we see how many seasons we actually get out of them or if there will be replacement part issues. But we think that they are a surprise in general and there has to be an open mind the first week of receiving them if you choose to try them!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My parents just bought one. They heat with Fuel oil (mongo expensive). Hopefully it will make a difference for them. I will know and a mnth or two.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:43 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
The Eden Pure is exactly the same efficiency - 3413 BTU/Kw-H, if memory serves - as any other heater that consists of a box that you plug in. The exact type of resistance or impedence used to transfer the electrical energy into heat energy makes no difference on this.

IMHO it's vastly over-priced compared to my favorite, the oil-filled electric radiator heater - which I like since it operates at a low temperature, so does not burn lint into soot like a heater with a red-hot element would.

The heat lamps shining on quartz crystals are pure mumbo-jumbo. Energy/matter is neither created nor destroyed.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
To save money with any of these small electric heaters you need the following circumstances:

• Your primary heat does not have a thermostat in each room in which case you would turn down the primary heat for the whole house.
  • You can close off the room that you will use the portable heater in.
  • Your primary heats fuel source is more expensive than electric which is usually not the case.
What it comes down to is they are useful for heating one room, you'll save money by keeping the rest of the house cold. If for example you have electric heat and have a thermostat in each room don't waste your money. If the room you want to heat is open, don't waste your money. If you don't want to keep the rest of the house cold..... don't waste your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House