Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:46 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times

Advertisements

We will be replacing a Zoned HVAC system in a home we are purchasing and we've had some conflicting opinions given to us regarding the three companies. The company that is offering to install the carrier units does American standard as well and the technician was really pushing carrier (kickback somewhere??). Any opinions on Carrier? Are they as good as they say they are?

American Standard, I was told, is over complicated and requires expensive repairs?? Not a very good answer for why Carrier is better than them but that's all I could get out of the HVAC guy.

Trane (different HVAC guy) is being offered to us for a couple of thousand less and, of course, he swears up and down that it is better than Carrier. Help!

So. any opinions on this? We plan on getting the mid range units regarding efficiency - 16 seer condenser, variable speed 80 AFUE furnace since they are more in our budget.

And that brings me to something else - neither one of these guys is offering us a furnace higher than an 80AFue. Where are all the 90 and 95 rated ones??

Also, The Carrier dealer sells there furnaces and condensers in packages and will not give us a breakdown price for each unit. Just one package for the condenser and furnace that go together. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for all the helpful replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I live a Alabama and it seems like Carrier is the most popular brand here. Trane seems to be more expensive, but they have the reputation for high quality. I think both brands are very good. York is also a brand that I prefer. Stay away from the Goodman (aka Sears Kenmore-Janitrol) brand.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM

630 posts, read 1,873,933 times
Since the heart of any condensing unit is the compressor,and all of the listed companies buy scroll compressors from the same manufacturer(Copeland),it really doesn't matter too much.You definetly want a high efficiency furnace attached to it.American Standard bought Trane several months back,Also,ask them if they will install a crankcase heater,with a normally closed contactor,if you are going to use your A/C in low ambient conditions(less than 62 deg),this will extend the life of your compressor by keeping liquid refrigerant out of the oil,R-22 is a solvent and will wipe the oil coating off your bearings and cause premature compressor failure.

Last edited by nitroae23; 02-23-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Book I was reading up on what you're talking about and the 90-97% high efficiency ratings seem to be in the category of electric HVAC models. I didn't catch what your fuel source is, or if you're attempting to switch fuel sources. Your kwh prices in texas are higher than many states & even though its energy efficient it might cost you a fortune to run. They might be steering you away from trouble there- maybe ask them?
You've got a sunny state, and PV roof panels to offset the operating cost of an electric HVAC might be something to consider, but it will definately cost you more upfront than your budget might allow.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Book I was reading up on what you're talking about and the 90-97% high efficiency ratings seem to be in the category of electric HVAC models. I didn't catch what your fuel source is, or if you're attempting to switch fuel sources. Your kwh prices in texas are higher than many states & even though its energy efficient it might cost you a fortune to run. They might be steering you away from trouble there- maybe ask them?
You've got a sunny state, and PV roof panels to offset the operating cost of an electric HVAC might be something to consider, but it will definately cost you more upfront than your budget might allow.
Thanks for the response. Its going to be electric cooling and gas furnace. I'd love to go the PV roof panel route and probably will in the future when we recover a bit from the home buying/selling period we are having. It seems to be a fairly major investment when done professionally and I don't know that we can fit it in now. I think it is utterly ridiculous that there are so few incentives offered by the state to encourage people to go solar.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Federal incentives were pretty decent last year but they've expired. Hopefully congress can make up its mind in a timely fashion.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The Trane unit isn't necessarily "less expensive" than the Carrier unit- the Trane dealer may just work on a lower markup, or may buy more units than the Carrier dealer and can sell them for less- it's definitely not an inferior unit. If you're comparing apples to apples on the SEER ratings and AFUE ratings, I'd go with the lower price if your comfortable that he's got all of the scope, can do the job, and will be in business later for warranty calls.

BTW- they're likely not recommending 90% AFUE units because they're planning to use the existing flue. The 90% plus units use direct-vent systems and normally can't vent through your existing flue. The cost difference is also usually pretty high and the payback may be fairly long.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
BTW- they're likely not recommending 90% AFUE units because they're planning to use the existing flue. The 90% plus units use direct-vent systems and normally can't vent through your existing flue. The cost difference is also usually pretty high and the payback may be fairly long.
Ah! That makes sense. thanks for clearing that up and also for your comments regarding Trane.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 98,481 times
Default Trane sucks

Do not buy a Trane. All the ratings are bs. I am a landlord that has dealt with numerous products over the past 20 years. The Trane system I bought broke down (dumping water on electronic components) within 3 years. Go with Rheem or anybody else. I've bought virtual no name units that have lasted longer. They do not honor their manufacturers or extended warranty either. I had to pay for all new parts. They stated that the unit was not under normal use (bs) and that the specific parts were not covered by the warranty (bs). Useless.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM

45 posts, read 192,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live a Alabama and it seems like Carrier is the most popular brand here. Trane seems to be more expensive, but they have the reputation for high quality. I think both brands are very good. York is also a brand that I prefer. Stay away from the Goodman (aka Sears Kenmore-Janitrol) brand.
Goodman is very good compared to the last 5 years, the older ones were junk, there are opinions on every brand, problems with every brand. Just get a good installer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House