Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Neighborhood #1 or #2
neighborhood #1 22 53.66%
neighborhood #2 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:12 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 06:47 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
As someone who bought a new-construction home from a national builder in 2011, and sold it in 2015 for a 15 year old fixer-upper, I can say with absolute conviction - I will never buy new construction like that ever again. Life's too short dealing with home builders, trees have value, and the noise and flurry of constant construction active 7 days a week for years, just sucks. Plus, I don't care what they show in the brochure, you cannot rely on them to deliver it as nice as you were sold on.

But what you can see, touch, and feel.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:04 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'd definitely go with the first one. There are parks, trails, and woods? A creek, playgrounds, and pools? Sold!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:15 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Thanks for the votes and comments. I see most people vote for #1. However; I am more excited about #2 because it is the same builder (Pulte) and they quickly put the amenities in the first neighborhood, and they did everything they said they would do and more - they expanded a created a third pool. The first neighborhood is gigantic , over 1,000 homes. The second, should have around 600, and I know there are many unknowns, but it gives me more confidence since they did so well with neighborhood #1.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would say #2 IF it was clear that the infrastructure was in place and it was evident that the amenities were being built along with the homes. I live in a new construction area and they were working on our pocket park and the neighborhood school along with the houses that were being built, so it was completed when we moved in. However, it's also true that the shopping/restaurant district closest to us had taken a decade to get built - slightly less relevant for me because I hadn't lived there all that time, but it's still going to be 2 years from when I moved in before it opens.

I will say that living in a construction zone with a tract builder isn't really that big a deal IMO. It's a few months but they get an entire block done at once, so they get the ground ready, pour the foundations, get them all framed, etc. It's like an assembly line, and honestly kind of fascinating to watch. I can deal with the few months of time (went through it once for the houses on the other side of my alley, and now going through it again for those on the block across the street) because it's a relatively quick time and then you move on.

Personally, I prioritize walkability and it would be crucial for me to have "you can walk from this neighborhood to restaurants, grocery store, and pharmacy." I would rule out #1 because of that, even if I also ruled out #2 for other reasons. But I am not willing to live long term someplace where I have to get in my car and drive out of the neighborhood for every single thing.

As for costs, if you are 100% sure you want to do this move, you can buy pre-construction for less. I signed my contract in June 2014, moved in at the very end of November 2014 paying that contract price and my house appraised at closing for about 10% more than I had paid. That was a realistic number, prices in my neighborhood have continued to go up and it just appraised at 20% more than I paid when I did a re-fi. I'm very glad to have signed that contract and paid what I paid! But I was in a position where I could sell my old house and have that money for the down payment and live with local family for free waiting for my house to be built. Without that ability, it's a lot trickier to make it all work without it starting to add $$ to the process.

I ended up rolling the die, and I did this. I bought pre-construction with Pulte....

Old 07-18-2017, 03:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Thanks for the update! Are you in the new house now or is it still under construction? Have the other amenities materialized the way you expected?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Thanks for the update! Are you in the new house now or is it still under construction? Have the other amenities materialized the way you expected?
Only the models are built, but they are very nice houses. My lot is still dirt, next to a pond, expected close date of late October. The neighborhood is only 1/4 done with lots, trees, and roads. 3/4 of the neighborhood is still woods, and I was told it would be around 4 years to complete the neighborhood (around just under 600 homes). I made sure I got a lot off the main road entrance/exit. I know trucks will be coming in an out....

The sales agent said the pool and pavilion, and playgrounds will be there summer 2018, in one year. I hoping for this! I checked through my city planning department and the amenity area (pool, pavilion) is approved! Good news! I hope it stays on schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
Choosing between two neighborhoods-communityrenderings.jpg  

Last edited by Serenity2019; 07-19-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I voted for #2, as well. I need to be able to walk to stores. I agree that you're taking a chance on a lot of things: keep an eye on your house as it goes together. Make sure sub-contractors aren't cutting too many corners or doing idiotic things.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I voted for #2, as well. I need to be able to walk to stores. I agree that you're taking a chance on a lot of things: keep an eye on your house as it goes together. Make sure sub-contractors aren't cutting too many corners or doing idiotic things.
Thanks, I'm with you I like to walk to stores, bike to the hardware store if I need...I will keep an open eye...

Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Yes, definitely spend as much as you can at the building site! The more you are there, the less likely they will be to cut corners on your house even if they do it on other houses where the owner is less involved.

I was at my house during construction so often that the builder gave me a construction key so I could come and go as much as I wanted and didn't need to go to the sales office to get the key each time. They still ended up with a few significant mistakes because they ignored me when I pointed them out, but at least I gave them the opportunity to correct earlier in the build so not my problem that the fix had to take place later and cost them more money.

The funny thing was that all three counters (kitchen island, and the vanities in both of the full bathrooms) all had to be replaced because of mistakes they made. I told them they were extremely lucky I had ended up going with laminate counters because I didn't love the granite and quartz choices they offered and will be replacing myself in another couple of years. It would not have been fun for them to have to replace three granite counters! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House