Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you watch any house renovation shows?
Yes 70 81.40%
No 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 PM

256 posts, read 311,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I love property brothers, except most of their shows are based out of Canada, I think.
Canadian shows almost never show where they are filming, I hate that because I see so many beautiful towns and never know where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:02 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I watch many of them, but my favorite is "Holmes makes it right".
When I first found "Holmes On Homes" (HGTV), I thought it was really helpful for people to watch. I suppose I could say I still do. But his "know it all" attitude and repetitive "outrage" over mistakes and bad workmanship gets old, fast.

My big issue with the show is he pretends to be a home inspector and people probably get the impression, from how he does things, that home inspectors have x-ray vision and/or are permitted, if not expected, to make holes, etc. to find what's wrong with a house.

Advance crews go to the house, fully investigate the problem (incl. remove drywall, etc.), sometimes exaggerate the situation for dramatic effect, hide the signs of their destructive investigations, and then bring in Holmes and a film crew.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My favorite is "Fixer Upper." My least favorite is "Love it or List it." I actually can't stand that one!
"Fixer Upper" seems the least scripted with false drama. Chip & Joanna Gaines seem like two people most anyone would enjoy having as friends (though I'm not sure I'd let Chip into my house...he's a lot like the Cat in the Hat). I'm still waiting for a show that doesn't start off with Joanna wanting to take down a large wall. I think that's an OCD for her, lol.

"Love It or List It" has such bad acting in it (yes, David Valentin, I'm referring to you...your portrayal of competitiveness comes across as cocky meanness). I'd say more but there's just so little about this show I find interesting or helpful because it's a faux competition between Hilary Farr (designer) and David (REAgent) that tends to be a bit condescending toward the homeowners.

[Edit: "Rehab Addict" with Nicole Curtis is one of the longest running shows (now filming it's 8th or 9th season, I think). She was a favorite for a few years. I absolutely love her work (ideas) but don't care for the way projects are edited for airing (one room per episode). Whomever she has guiding her publicity and professional/business development (if anyone) isn't doing a good job (imo)....which is a shame, I'd have her brand/franchise more than ready to part ways from Scripps (owners of HGTV & DIY).]

Last edited by James1202; 10-03-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
One show I haven't seen mentioned is the one about the guys who dismantle old barns, and then rebuild them into other things. They reuse every piece which can be, and if they need a door its of the same age. the wood is sanded and sealed inside and its soooo beautiful. Hard to imagine the value of a house if that was what it took to build one.
Barnwood Builders | DIY

Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
I like that show as it's a good history lesson every time I watch it. It does IMO get a little boring after a while but it's still somewhat interesting to see old wooden barn structures and the new structures they create with that old wood.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
"Fixer Upper" seems the least scripted with false drama. Chip & Joanna Gaines seem like two people most anyone would enjoy having as friends (though I'm not sure I'd let Chip into my house...he's a lot like the Cat in the Hat). I'm still waiting for a show that doesn't start off with Joanna wanting to take down a large wall. I think that's an OCD for her, lol.

"Love It or List It" has such bad acting in it (yes, David Valentin, I'm referring to you...your portrayal of competitiveness comes across as cocky meanness). I'd say more but there's just so little about this show I find interesting or helpful because it's a faux competition between Hilary Farr (designer) and David (REAgent) that tends to be a bit condescending toward the homeowners.

[Edit: "Rehab Addict" with Nicole Curtis is one of the longest running shows (now filming it's 8th or 9th season, I think). She was a favorite for a few years. I absolutely love her work (ideas) but don't care for the way projects are edited for airing (one room per episode). Whomever she has guiding her publicity and professional/business development (if anyone) isn't doing a good job (imo)....which is a shame, I'd have her brand/franchise more than ready to part ways from Scripps (owners of HGTV & DIY).]
Fixer Upper is fun to watch only because of Chip and Joanna. After watching maybe 3-5 episodes I kept hoping they wouldn't pick the old house with the most character since it's a 100 percent certainty, Joanna would turn it into another "open concept" rehabbed monstrosity on the inside.
I once cringed as she tore out beautiful tall windows to replace them with windows half their size just so a desk would fit up against that wall. This was while converting a sun room into an office. It not only ruined the character of the room but the outside of the house IMO. I think that was the last time I watched that show.

Last edited by marino760; 10-03-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Canadian shows almost never show where they are filming, I hate that because I see so many beautiful towns and never know where they are.
You can't usually tell that they are not in the US. I watch some reality shows like Big Brother Canada and a few others and the more you watch you can pick up a few words that they say differently. The biggest phrase to give them away is that they don't say first grade, they say grade one.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:08 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I once cringed as she tore out beautiful tall windows to replace them with windows half their size just so a desk would fit up against that wall. This was while converting a sun room into an office. It not only ruined the character of the room but the outside of the house IMO. I think that was the last time I watched that show.
I bet the windows were in bad shape. The probably did this to save a lot of money, if a window is not standard size and has to be made custom that can eat a lot of the budget.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:15 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
I watched some of Welcome Back Potter the other day. I thought it was very good. It's about Monica Potter, who played Christina on Netflix's Parenthood, and her mother and three sisters renovating their childhood home in Ohio. Some of you may find this type of renovation show refreshing. They all actually dress like they're working on renovating , no bling at all. There is a photo gallery with befores/afters in the link.

Welcome Back Potter | Welcome Back Potter | HGTV

When they showed what was to be the Master Bedroom, I thought to myself...that room just won't work, it's way too narrow to make into a Master BR. Oh how wrong I was. Once they added French doors and opened it onto the sun porch, it looks great. They took the sun porch, which was a total wreck, and made it into an inviting area with some great storage solutions.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I watched some of Welcome Back Potter the other day. I thought it was very good. It's about Monica Potter, who played Christina on Netflix's Parenthood, and her mother and three sisters renovating their childhood home in Ohio. Some of you may find this type of renovation show refreshing. They all actually dress like they're working on renovating , no bling at all. There is a photo gallery with befores/afters in the link.

Welcome Back Potter | Welcome Back Potter | HGTV

When they showed what was to be the Master Bedroom, I thought to myself...that room just won't work, it's way too narrow to make into a Master BR. Oh how wrong I was. Once they added French doors and opened it onto the sun porch, it looks great. They took the sun porch, which was a total wreck, and made it into an inviting area with some great storage solutions.
Not to mention the fact that they are 'real' people. Warts and all. (the one sister that has bladder problems when she starts to laugh!!!)

It holds my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House