Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

We finally took apart the non draining dishwasher last night. The water lines were all filled with this chalky white substance. what is it and how can I prevent the dishwasher from needing to be uninstalled every year for line declogging?

I had previously tried vinegar to clean it. The dishwasher was installed March 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 10:44 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Two things-

1- the drain line is not routed correctly, leaving too much water and waste in the line.

2- using powder d/w detergent? Change to a gel/liquid type.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:59 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Cheap detergents have fillers and are no bargain. Just go for Cascade or something like that.
If your water is naturally hard, some of the buildup could be lime. Water tests for lime are cheap.

An aside, water usage in the new dishwashers is limited. Mine uses 7 gallons, no matter what the cycle. The small difference in electric cost between the cycles makes it most practical for me to set mine on "heavy wash," where there is more time spent cleaning and more crud goes out in the first cycle, leaving the other rinses practically clear water.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
We finally took apart the non draining dishwasher last night. The water lines were all filled with this chalky white substance. what is it and how can I prevent the dishwasher from needing to be uninstalled every year for line declogging?

I had previously tried vinegar to clean it. The dishwasher was installed March 2015.
Hmmm - was your dishwasher filling and just not draining? I'm curious as mine has gunk in the lines but would run through the cycles but didn't fill any water in. It has been a glorified storage piece for a while now but I'm curious if I should take it apart???? And I used powder ................... hmmm hmmm hmmm

Old 09-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Two things-

1- the drain line is not routed correctly, leaving too much water and waste in the line.

2- using powder d/w detergent? Change to a gel/liquid type.
Not sure about the drain lines. They were installed by a plumber last year.

I do use a gel, with jet dry rinse aid.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Cheap detergents have fillers and are no bargain. Just go for Cascade or something like that.
If your water is naturally hard, some of the buildup could be lime. Water tests for lime are cheap.

An aside, water usage in the new dishwashers is limited. Mine uses 7 gallons, no matter what the cycle. The small difference in electric cost between the cycles makes it most practical for me to set mine on "heavy wash," where there is more time spent cleaning and more crud goes out in the first cycle, leaving the other rinses practically clear water.
I use cascade!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Hmmm - was your dishwasher filling and just not draining? I'm curious as mine has gunk in the lines but would run through the cycles but didn't fill any water in. It has been a glorified storage piece for a while now but I'm curious if I should take it apart???? And I used powder ................... hmmm hmmm hmmm
It is only a few years old. It runs through a cycle, but water remains in bottom and all the dishes have a white chalky residue on them.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:14 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Are you certain it is the drain line? The reason I ask is that my dishwasher stopped draining. I thought it was my filter or drain line, but actually was something else.

In my case, it was the sink air gap. I took the cap off (it just pulls right up) and I found food particles and other gunk in it. I cleaned it out, popped it back on and it solved my problem. Anyway, just a thought.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Are you certain it is the drain line? The reason I ask is that my dishwasher stopped draining. I thought it was my filter or drain line, but actually was something else.

In my case, it was the sink air gap. I took the cap off (it just pulls right up) and I found food particles and other gunk in it. I cleaned it out, popped it back on and it solved my problem. Anyway, just a thought.
Yes, I removed the lines and each of the 4ft lines were packed with this chaulky textured white substance.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:02 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It is only a few years old. It runs through a cycle, but water remains in bottom and all the dishes have a white chalky residue on them.
Does it have a built in heater? If not let your hot water run for a couple of minutes before turning it on. Change your rinse aid, set a cup of vinegar on the bottom of the unit one a week. What cycle are you using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House