Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you blame for a messy house?
I blame the man 0 0%
I blame the woman 7 4.64%
I blame them both 61 40.40%
Nobody. I don't judge other people's housekeeping 83 54.97%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

I am always shocked how other people live but I try to refrain from judging.

I am a Landlord and give my tenants about a week's warning for my semi-annual walk thrus. I go to check plumbing under sinks, the water heater, to make sure HVAC system is clean (and I bring filters) and I check all appliances and around the exterior perimeter of the house for insects, etc. I am not being nosy. I make sure the house is safe and in good repair. In general, the places are pretty messy and sometimes quite dirty, too. I would say only about 25% of my tenants, in over 30 years of being a landlord, keep their homes straightened up on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:20 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Well; aren't I a piece of work ...

I wanted to say "I blame both" so I could sound all "socially evolved" ... but that would have been a lie.

Because I KNOW I think things like "What's wrong with his wife?" ...Or even worse "He needs a wife".

I wanted to say "I don't judge ..." But. That also; would have been a lie!

Spare me the lectures; I already know I sound like a social neanderthal.

You know whats even worse??

I'm a freaking hypocrite too! I'm always saying "Excuse the mess. It's Mr. Coschristi's fault."

Oh well. At least I'm honest.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:31 AM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
Messy houses disgust me. Messy kitchens are THE WORST

I have enough stress in my life. When I get home, I want to feel relaxed

Old 10-05-2016, 06:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Adding on here...before kids I had a spotless house. Closets were organized by color and item, Books/DVDs in alphabetical order, never any dust or fur (despite having 1 dog and 2 cats), etc. I was OCD about it.

After kids - eh if we're all alive by the end of the day it's a win. Back then I worked from home with no kids - I had the time to clean. Now - I work out of the house 50-60 hrs a week and when I'm not working I'm busy playing chauffeur, on a soccer field, at a play date or any number of other things for my son. And if I'm not doing that I'm at my book club, bible study, church, friends, dates, etc. Our priorities have shifted. At this point in my life I prioritize actually living over a spotless house. It took a lot of adjusting but now I don't even notice some of the piles.

I have good friends - the ones you don't have to pick up for - and then there are acquaintances or new friends who I do tidy up for. If the newer ones are coming over I call our cleaning ladies and have them do a visit that day while we're at work and school.

I don't judge anyone else for their house. It's not fair to judge them. If my son's going over there I want a safe environment but that doesn't mean they have to have a spotless or even clean house. It just means there can't be chemicals, medications, guns etc within reach.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"After kids - eh if we're all alive by the end of the day it's a win. "

LOL! I think that might be a required attitude if you want kids that grow up into adults who aren't mindless clones.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I don't judge things like cobwebs in the high corners (particularly when there are cathedral ceilings...) or unpolished sinks (??). I also don't care about messy bookcases or clutter on top of the fridge or even stacks of paperwork on a kitchen counter or unmade beds. I have all of that in my house, too.

I do tend to judge when there's laundry all over the living room or a room that looks like the floors haven't been vacuumed/swept/mopped in six months, or when the table is covered in sticky stuff (and there are not toddlers in the house... toddlers can make a clean house look like a pit in a matter of minutes if they're determined!). This is not to say that my floors are never dirty or that my table doesn't sometimes have something on it, but if I'm inviting someone over, I do at least do those things. Usually.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I blame the kids!!!!

No seriously though, Lol, Cleaning should be a joint effort. If the woman doesn't work then of course she should have more of the household responsibilities, but I think the man should also do his part. If the woman also works full time then it should be as equal as possible.

My husband works full time and drives an hour each way. He's tired when he gets home, but he takes out the garbage, mows the lawn and helps with dinner at times and kids homework. I work out of the home part time, so I pretty much do everything else such as laundry, grocery shopping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning floors, picking up toys, etc. But if I ask for help, he helps. He doesn't mind and doesn't complain! Happy wife, happy life!!!!

Now that my kids are 10 & 8, I have them helping with making their beds, dusting, putting toys away, and other little things.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I blame the person who creates the mess. What does gender have to do with it?

Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
I think in many areas of the US traditional ideas about housekeeping still apply that a messy house reflects poorly on the woman and not the man. Conversely if a home is immaculate and gorgeously decorated few would think "wow, that guy sure has good taste!" You can see this reflected in commercials and tv shows still where the guy is portrayed as a helpless doofus while the woman is cleaning up after him. Most people subconsciously believe men are naturally messy and it's the woman's job to keep him neat. So yes, I do believe people still subconsciously judge the woman for a messy house.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Well; aren't I a piece of work ...

I wanted to say "I blame both" so I could sound all "socially evolved" ... but that would have been a lie.

Because I KNOW I think things like "What's wrong with his wife?" ...Or even worse "He needs a wife".

I wanted to say "I don't judge ..." But. That also; would have been a lie!

Spare me the lectures; I already know I sound like a social neanderthal.

You know whats even worse??

I'm a freaking hypocrite too! I'm always saying "Excuse the mess. It's Mr. Coschristi's fault."

Oh well. At least I'm honest.
You are not alone! I think many have the same viewpoints but don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House