Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

we have a sun room that is 15 by 19 Ft, and it is not set up for heat. We have been using space heaters when the weather gets cold until about December.
I am exploring options other than space heaters like an electric baseboard. Has anyone installed one and could share some information?
Do you like it and does it heat evenly and keep you comfortable?
How much does it cost and are there products that are well rated?
If you got it installed, how much does it cost?
Can an electricain do the whole job or do i also need to hire a carpenter or something?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
"Heat for a sunroom"

Would this be an oxymoron?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We had the same issue. We installed electric baseboard heaters. It was difficult to find some that put out sufficient heat and could run on a 20 amp 120v circuit. Once I found them they were easy to install. I put them in over one weekend, including running the wire for two seperate 20 amp circuits, installing breakers, installing the heaters.

They do an OK job, but with all that glass, the sunroom is not really "warm" It is warm enough for day use and the dogs sleep out there, but it is not like having another living room.

We have a pretty antique wood-stove I intend to put in there, but I think I want someone professional to do the roof penetration part. I have never done that and I see too many houses with structural damage from water leaks because of DIY roof penetrations. I am pretty sure the woodstove may over-heat the sunroom which is only 9x21, but we can always crack some of the windows open if it gets too hot.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:00 PM

675 posts, read 1,815,872 times
I thought the poster meant the greenhouse, where he keeps the tropical plants in winter so he needs to heat the green/sun room to maintain the temperature about 60oF.

The wood stove can do the job and keeps the room warm, maybe you only need to burn twice a day (in the morning and evening/night) and if the room is insulated & airtight well, the heat stays there for couple hours so it's warm enough for the plants.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Helios is god

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Heat for a sunroom"
Would this be an oxymoron?
My first thought. Sadly, I cannot rep you.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
we have a sun room that is 15 by 19 Ft, and it is not set up for heat. We have been using space heaters when the weather gets cold until about December.
I am exploring options other than space heaters like an electric baseboard. Has anyone installed one and could share some information?
Do you like it and does it heat evenly and keep you comfortable?
How much does it cost and are there products that are well rated?
If you got it installed, how much does it cost?
Can an electricain do the whole job or do i also need to hire a carpenter or something?
Thank you.
I put in some electric baseboard heaters while we are getting round to installing a wood stove. It has been several years. Our sun-room is close in area (about 9 x 22).

It was hard to find electric baseboard heaters that run on 110 v instead of 220. We found some online from a place in Ohio. We tied them into the existing 20 amp outlet circuits. They work well, but do not make the room warm, just warmer. The sunroom is mostly windows, and glass is a terrible insulator. Thus, if it is 10 below zero (f) outside, you are not going to go sit in the sunroom and read a book, especially when it is windy. If it is 30 or warmer and no wind, it is comfortable. We are still planning to put in the woodstove eventually.

The electric baseboard heaters were not expensive, I am pretty sure they cost less than $100 each. They were very easy to install, it took about an hour.

The main complain I have about them are the dials. They are not clearly marked and only have tiny lettering at the bottom of the dial. Thus, you have to put on reading glasses and lie on the floor to see which dial to turn which way to turn on/off/up/down the heat. Sine I do that rarely, I never remember how it works and since I am not enthused to about laying on the floor trying to read tiny print, I usually just move the dials a bit and wait to see what happens.
The other two issues are the temperature dial does not have stops. It can turn all the way round, so it can be hard to tell where you are. the other issue is the dials are very low and turn very easily, thus they get turned by people, dogs or furniture brushing against them. Sometime we go out there and it is freezing and sometimes it is hotter than hell.

AS far as changes in our utility bill, ours is so high and jumps around so radically, it is nearly impossible to tell what impact these heaters have. It is not enough to notice a big jump when we turn them on or off because there is always something else contributing to big changes in our bill. Since they are limited to 1500 or 1800 watts, figure it is the same as leaving 15 or 18 100 watt lights burning for each heater. So with to heaters, even if they are 1500 watts (which I think they are), we have the equivalent of 30 100 watt light bulbs on whenever we are heating out there. That is significant, but not massive. Notwithstanding all Dads' crusades to turn off lights, light bulbs do not really have that huge of an impact. 30 will be a definite impact, but not huge. Notwithstanding all the glass, the heaters do not run 24/7 unless it is super cold outside. The only question is whether the use of the space is worth it. For us it is, because we keep the dogs in there at night and when we are away. Without the dogs, I would probably shut them down (but still put in a wood-stove hen I get to it). With a woodstove and a pot of water on top, that will be our most comfortable winter room. A woodstove will keep that area snuggly warm and the water will keep it moist (dryness is a problem in the winter). We will have to kick the dogs out or crate them though, they might get burned by laying against the stove.

I actually installed the heaters so we could remove the doors between the sunroom and the kitchen and have the space counted for an appraisal. The extra $30,000 or so in appraised value helped us get a better interest rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House