Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
WHEW, REOW, I'll make sure and post my electricians-degree before I post to an internet forum, thanks!

The point I was trying to make is, a grounded electrical-device, that is connected to a GFCI, is advantageous when compared to a non-grounded device. You can have a grounded-device that has a hot-chassis, but is below the tripping-point of the breaker......a grounded electrical-device that is on a GFCI will provide maximum protection in this circumstance.

A metal space-heater that is not grounded, can have a hot-chassis just waiting to zap someone. Or a metal space-heater that is grounded, can have ground-fault that is not high enough to trip the breaker....this is where a GFCI is very useful.

A GFCI is tripped when hot and neutral show a difference. If a person is part of the path that is completing the circuit, and there is not ground-fault.....the GFCI may not trip and the person will get zapped.....yes, I have seen this happen.
You said in a previous post "I would rather rely on the ground-fault using the grounding-system to trigger" What is a ground wire going to trigger? This is why i said you are not qualified to talk about this subject.

You joke about having an "electricians-degree" but to become an electrician you need to go through a 4 year 8,000 hour apprenticeship program to become a journeyman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 AM

141 posts, read 212,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
What is a ground wire going to trigger?
Please read here what a ground wire will trigger. Demonstrated is how a GFCI fails to protect human life. Your question was answered in that one paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: