Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 AM

175 posts, read 935,451 times

Advertisements

(just kidding....)

Just got off the phone with Conroe Golf Carts service department. I did not even have to complete my sentence...the guy took the words right out of my mouth.... apparently lots of people destroy their garage floors with battery acid.

He said since the cart is so new that my husband has not really done any significant damage at this point. He was more concerned about the acid eroding the steel parts that the battery is actually sitting on. I really did not get a clear answer on whether to add acid or water and I asked him twice. So... ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,357 times
Wow, I’m sorry I didn’t get to this sooner. Battery acid can sure be a pain! In this case you might want to invest in some serious industrial tools. You could even to throw down some spill absorbent underneath the golf cart. You can use it to clean up spills so I don’t understand why you can’t use them to prevent them. Give something like SpillFix a shot and combine it with some other industrial tips and see what happens.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,712,230 times
Six year old thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 AM

266 posts, read 445,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappinator View Post
Ok, you will think this is a tale, but I assure you it is true.

My husband charges his golf cart in the garage. In doing so, the battery acid has spilled onto the floor of the garage. I've put those drip pans underneath, but of course, it eats thru them as well. Bottom line, we are down to the dirt, literally. Without pouring fresh cement, does anyone know what else to do here? A friend suggested a sheet of steel to place underneath it. Will battery acid eat thru that? Could this be compromising the structural intregity of the house?
Acid eats through concrete because of the laws of chemistry. Strong acid will pretty much eat though most things mineral in nature. A tray of baking soda substitutes for the neutralizing effect instead of concrete. A plastic tray is a reasonable alternative but you will have to find a way to deal with the aftermath of that issue.

The real problem is why are the cart batteries continually over boiling. Consider Welcome to Renaissance Charge -

Review: The Truth Denied - Want a fast battery charger? Here’s how!

This will help.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,088,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappinator View Post
Ok guys.... I pulled my husband and his buddy off the golf course and showed them your posts...and I bitched a little, (or a lot).

Dear hubby is guillty of filling those batteries to the TOP causing it to overflow. Regarding the proper ventilation, his buddy said all he needs to do is prop up the seat with a stick of something to leave it open while charging.

The floor (dirt) is all swept up and I'm heading for Office Depot to buy the plastic mats that are used under office chairs....just he case he fills it too full again. Also, it needs distilled water.

Wow, I've been mad at my hubby for a year and just looked the other way every time I saw that mess. In just a matter of hours, my problem is solved and we are no longer in danger.

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND VERY USEFUL INFORMATION!!!!!
Is he using tap water to refill? He is KILLING the batteries. You should use distiller water AND there is a FULL line that you do not go over,

Tell your husband to go buy gel cell batteries like Optima

Old 07-20-2017, 06:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 870,329 times
THIS is where the advice to never put a car battery on a concrete floor comes from.

It doesn't ruin the battery, as too many people believe. It ruins the concrete floor.

Dilute sulfuric acid attacks minerals and metals. It oxidizes many other compounds.

It does not attack polyethylene.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 504 times
Thank you so much for your information about the battery there are so many white stains in my carport cement. is there anything really effective in miminizing or remove them? does baking soda work? we are having the batteries checked by a professional Saturday. are the plastic mats the best route to go for any future leaks? anything better? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House