Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:47 PM

120 posts, read 114,750 times

Advertisements

List your home automation setup and brands that work well together. I want to know what brands you have tried and liked disliked and why
So far these are the things I want in my home automation setup.

Light bulbs with or without hubs still deciding looking at the pros and cons

Touchscreen deadbolt not sure which brand schlage, august, kwikset

New router Securifi Almond 3 works with Alexa

Echo dot probably 3-5 of them.

Thermostat: Nest, Honeywell or ecobee3

So far that is all.

I have a projector and 125 inch projector screen it would be cool if I can find something that can control the screen instead of using the remote lol

Last edited by aeropg; 10-11-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
.... and your question is???

Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
My home automation-

Me getting my ass off the sofa and turning this or that ON or OFF. Back in my earlier days automation was much simpler- I had the kids do it!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:27 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
My home automation consists of garage door opener, programmable thermostat and a Ring doorbell. Oh I forgot a couple of my ceiling fans/lights have remote controls.
Not sure I need or want more.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 AM

120 posts, read 114,750 times
Good to knowI also have a ring doorbell that came with the house

Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We started buying some of those automation thingies. Then we discovered we would spend a lot more time programming and reprogramming and learning how to use them, then re-programming when the power went out, and again when new technology comes out. . . It is a lot less effort to just walk around and turn things on and off, which is what we do not with our expensive programmable thermostats since you lose the programming every time the battery goes dead, then you have to try to find the manual to see how to program it again. We gave up and they are just used like regular thermostats. Waste of money.

Actually for the cost of those systems, I could probably hire a high school kid or retired person to be on call and go over to my house and turn things on and off when I want them to.

""Hey, can you please come turn off my TV? I do not feel like getting up out of bed and turning it off and I cannot find the remote."

Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,305 times
I have a Nest thermostat on the 1st level and a Honeywell on the 2nd floor, Alexa works with both thermostats. 4 wireless cameras/recorder around the outside perimeter of the house, which I can view from anywhere. Alarm system with indoor cameras which I can control from outside. I have Comcast which has an app you can control the TV/cable, also my Yamaha receiver has an app. Outdoor lights are controlled by programmable light switches. All devices are connected to Luma routers and have programmable schedules to allow access to the internet for the kids. I really don't need all of this but I'm in IT and love gadgets.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:58 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
I have a Nest thermostat on the 1st level and a Honeywell on the 2nd floor, Alexa works with both thermostats. 4 wireless cameras/recorder around the outside perimeter of the house, which I can view from anywhere. Alarm system with indoor cameras which I can control from outside. I have Comcast which has an app you can control the TV/cable, also my Yamaha receiver has an app. Outdoor lights are controlled by programmable light switches. All devices are connected to Luma routers and have programmable schedules to allow access to the internet for the kids. I really don't need all of this but I'm in IT and love gadgets.
My husband is like you.

God help me if he goes before I go.

We are doing a new build and just walked the shell of the house with the low voltage guy. Ethernet drops in every room (even outside back lanai), where the placement of security cameras are going, speakers in several areas including outside. Central wifi hub in ceiling. All terminations in his office. I just know he is going to add gadgets.

I'm screwed....

Old 10-12-2016, 08:15 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
My husband is like you.

God help me if he goes before I go.

We are doing a new build and just walked the shell of the house with the low voltage guy. Ethernet drops in every room (even outside back lanai), where the placement of security cameras are going, speakers in several areas including outside. Central wifi hub in ceiling. All terminations in his office. I just know he is going to add gadgets.

I'm screwed....
I apologize to you and my wife She always calls me, how the heck do you use this? I'm going to document all my gadgets and put it in the will.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
I apologize to you and my wife She always calls me, how the heck do you use this? I'm going to document all my gadgets and put it in the will.
Better yet, list the person that can disable all gadgets with their phone number.

I will accept your apology. Bwahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House