U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 60,590,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Without looking, can you tell me what brand your vacuum cleaner is?

I'm thinking about putting that question on a rental application and so I am wondering if that is something that most people know or that most people don't remember.

Of course, if you'd like to tell me what brand and whether or not you are happy with it, that would be nice, but mostly I'm wondering if it is a reasonable question.

Yes.

But the real questions are- Do you use it? Does it suck?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:59 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,778,451 times
I have a 23 year old Sears (Kenmore?) in my winter home and a $100 Hoover in my summer home. Both are excellent. I wouldn't part with either of them.

I require my tenants to own one of those two models or they can't rent.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:37 AM

2,654 posts, read 3,833,053 times
Does anyone have the Dyson V6 battery unit that mounts to a wall? It looks like it would be a great solution for quick pickups and what not which we have a lot of with two kids. Interested to hear your experience so far with battery life, power, etc.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 AM

6,160 posts, read 6,733,826 times
FYI OP---Those people you see on the show Hoarders all probably own vacuums.

Owning something does not mean they will use it. Just look at all the crap people store in their basements and garages that haven't been touched in a hundred years.

I would say yes and leave it at that. And then I'd think the landlord was some kind of weirdo who was going to be into my business since that's not a typical application question.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM

1,799 posts, read 3,687,671 times
I have an old Hoover WindTunnel. How about that, not only brand, but model?

It is awfully heavy so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,064,110 times
i wonder why the OP want's to know what kind of vaccum everyone has. hell if it was me and i see your car and it was a pig stigh that alone would tell me how someone lived hell id'e deny someone for stinking and not showering

Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,064,110 times
i have a rainbow and when i got my carpets replaced. the carpet installer asked me what i used to vaccum the the carpets with because there was no dirt on the cement slab or none in the padding. now that's a good machine. that thing will rip the curtains out of a wall rod and all. do not ask me how i know this

Old 10-15-2016, 02:23 AM

35,748 posts, read 39,311,705 times
I have a Dyson and a Sebo. The Dyson DC14 I bought as a refurb from WOOT in 2007. the Sebo G1 I got used off ebay when I went through a brief vacuum obsession in 2013. From everything I read it just sounded like a brilliant piece of machinery and I wanted one for myself but didn't want to spend $700 to satisfy my curiosity. Now I rotate using them and they both have pros and cons.

The Dyson is great because when you see what you suck up it makes you want to vacuum more and more until you stop picking up so much stuff, leading to a cleaner carpet! They seem to last a long time too and can really take a beating. But a bit bulky, I have to manually cut the string/hairs off the beater bar while turning the machine upside down and spinning it with my hand, and the attachments/telescoping wand are such a PITA I never use them.

The Sebo really is well put together and has a sleek profile. It uses a bag and the attachments are simple and logical, I don't know why more companies don't used this design because Kenmore did at one point but discontinued that model. It's head is small enough to get everywhere and it lays completely flat to get under the beds. The beater bar slides out for easy cleaning. And the cord is so long that I plug it in once and can get to every place in my house. My only grips are not knowing if I've vacuumed up everything I can, and a slight "wet paper" smell from the vents. I assume it's a combo of the heavy filtering and physical bag which keep everything in there for a long time.

So yes, I know

Last edited by Ceece; 10-15-2016 at 02:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,400,574 times
We finally invested in a very good vacuum cleaner and I'm kicking myself for not having done this years ago!

For years we kept buying the cheaper Bissell type vacuum cleaners. They would do the job decently for about 5 years and then they would die... lose suction no matter how hard we tried to keep things clean and lubricated and change filters, etc.

Finally last month we ordered a Miele canister vacuum. We found it on Amazon on sale plus we had some Amazon credit, so we actually didn't spend too much on it ($275. and we got free shipping).

We narroed the search down to either the Miele or the Dyson, and due to longevity, warranty, and aesthetics (yes, the way it looks lol), we went with the Miele. Super glad we did.

We are so crazy happy with this vacuum. I don't even store it in the garage like I always did with our other vacuums. It's like a member of the family now - it sits next to the couch! lol

There are lots of videos on youtube about them in case anyone is curious. They are amazing. They pulled stuff out of our couch and rugs and nooks and crannies that the other vacuums never found in the many years of almost daily vacuuming (we have pets). OH and the second best thing we love about the Miele aside from how much it sucks (haha) - is how quiet it is!! You can vacuum and still talk and have a conversation while you are vacuuming. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,472,732 times
We were Dyson people until we started to use Shark. We have the Shark N682 now. Excellent suction and the brush bar grooms the carpet much better than the Dyson.

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Rotator...ds=shark+nv682
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House