Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:10 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,359,007 times

Advertisements

I will be in the market for a new vacuum soon and am wondering for the folks with Shark-
which model to you have and really like? there are so many!

Background----------
A recent post asking what brand of vacuum etc...reminded me that I seem to see on various forums, people with Shark brand really seem pleased. The brand is usually not mentioned or does not get good review in Consumer Reports for whatever reason.
I currently have a 15(ish) year old Kenmore Progressive Cannister. I am pleased with it, though it is cumbersome to use. It is a very good vacuum. I also have an Oreck upright which is probably about 25 years old. I never thought it lived up to its hype (back in the day) and it is slowly dying and I am getting ready to toss it. ( I keep it upstairs where it does a so so job but it saves me from lugging the kenmore more frequently).

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 04:33 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
I have the Rotator Powered Lift-Away True Pet. I wanted an upright, bagless with suction adjustment. I got new carpet & was told I could no longer use my Dyson if I wanted to keep my carpet warranty valid.

I prefer my 10 year old Dyson. The Shark is too tall which makes it difficult for me to maneuver since I'm only 5'2". This is especially difficult because of the swivel steering in tight spaces. It really makes my elbow & wrist ache since the weight of the machine is on the upright portion & not on the base of the vacuum. The hose & the cord are too short. It tips over easily--crashing into furniture, walls, etc. The Shark allows for two onboard attachments but one of them I don't use. Would prefer to have the True Pet tool onboard. The caddy on which you can place your canister (turning your upright into a canister type vacuum) is difficult to steer around my house & around the power cord. But while the canister is on the caddy, it is easier to vacuum under furniture since the bulky canister isn't attached to the upright/stick portion of the vacuum.

I don't have hardwood floors or tile in my house, so maybe this works better for those types of flooring.

The Shark has a light on both the vacuum base & on the detachable wand.

Taller people I know love their Sharks.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM

447 posts, read 483,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have the Rotator Powered Lift-Away True Pet. I wanted an upright, bagless with suction adjustment. I got new carpet & was told I could no longer use my Dyson if I wanted to keep my carpet warranty valid.

I prefer my 10 year old Dyson. The Shark is too tall which makes it difficult for me to maneuver since I'm only 5'2". This is especially difficult because of the swivel steering in tight spaces. It really makes my elbow & wrist ache since the weight of the machine is on the upright portion & not on the base of the vacuum. The hose & the cord are too short. It tips over easily--crashing into furniture, walls, etc. The Shark allows for two onboard attachments but one of them I don't use. Would prefer to have the True Pet tool onboard. The caddy on which you can place your canister (turning your upright into a canister type vacuum) is difficult to steer around my house & around the power cord. But while the canister is on the caddy, it is easier to vacuum under furniture since the bulky canister isn't attached to the upright/stick portion of the vacuum.

I don't have hardwood floors or tile in my house, so maybe this works better for those types of flooring.

The Shark has a light on both the vacuum base & on the detachable wand.

Taller people I know love their Sharks.
I have the Rotator lift away & canister (probably the same like you), and I just love it. Very easy to navigate, I usually use it as a canister and great for hard floors. I don't have much carpet, but it works great on carpet too. Great suction. I can't complain. My cleaning lady is around 5'4" and doesn't complain either.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,791,281 times
I have the purple color Lift-Away. Love it because it's smallish and lighter than the full size Navigator. Works great on hardwood and carpet and easy to go up and down the stairs with it. However, I find it annoying that the design has angles built into the wand (if you want to use the attachments, you have to twist it in an odd way). Also, I wish it can get under low furniture.

Have it for 5 yrs and still works like day 1.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,182,179 times
i had a shark navigator and i would not buy another one after the power head kicked the bucket in two years and shark told me i had to pay for a new power head

Old 10-13-2016, 05:40 PM

4,705 posts, read 4,359,007 times
This is getting more interesting. I remember honestly seeing some forums similar to this one where most people were totally pleased with the shark and not necessarily the top of the line either - more like a middle tier model. I had made up my mind that I would be looking for one when the time comes, but I wasn't sure which model.
sorry groundpounder that would irk me big time as well.
I will be looking forward to more replies....

Old 10-14-2016, 08:44 PM

336 posts, read 570,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I have the purple color Lift-Away. Love it because it's smallish and lighter than the full size Navigator. Works great on hardwood and carpet and easy to go up and down the stairs with it. However, I find it annoying that the design has angles built into the wand (if you want to use the attachments, you have to twist it in an odd way). Also, I wish it can get under low furniture.

Have it for 5 yrs and still works like day 1.
that's the one i have. it is great!!!!

Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
I have the Rocket Ultra Light and I love it, it's like a Dyson Digital Slim, but with a cord so you don't have to worry about batteries draining. I'm not sure if it would be the best choice for wall to wall carpet, but it has plenty enough power for my laminate floors and area rugs. It's very easy to change the attachments, I even use it to clean my car.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 AM

4,436 posts, read 3,636,013 times
I read some other threads also where the person said using a Dyson would void the carpet warranty? Can someone explain this? I've found Dysons have good power to lift dirt away. Seems like many are going to Shark to try out their top vacuums.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:35 PM

50,000 posts, read 63,325,358 times
I gave my dil the Shark Rocket Pet, and she likes it. They have all wood floors though, so don't know how it is on carpet. Before I bought it, I saw it had as good or better reviews as the Dyson, for half the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House