U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,022,188 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering how cork would do in a living/dining area. Has anyone installed it or seen homes with large rooms of cork flooring? There are a lot of things favorable about it, easy on your feet, prevents mold and mildew, doesn't warp.

When I looked at samples at Home Depot, I thought the floor would end up looking like a huge bulletin board. But when I see rooms done on HGTV, they look pretty nice.

If anyone has seen homes with this flooring or has installed it, I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
toodie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,137,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I've been wondering how cork would do in a living/dining area. Has anyone installed it or seen homes with large rooms of cork flooring? There are a lot of things favorable about it, easy on your feet, prevents mold and mildew, doesn't warp.

When I looked at samples at Home Depot, I thought the floor would end up looking like a huge bulletin board. But when I see rooms done on HGTV, they look pretty nice.

If anyone has seen homes with this flooring or has installed it, I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
toodie
I'm interested in hearing from people about the maintenence & longevity of cork. Toodie mind if I also tack on anyone who owns bamboo flooring?

BTW historical use of cork floors:
"Some notable installations include many of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright's design projects, including Falling Water in Western Pennsylvania. A sample of others during this period would include: The United States Department of Commerce Building, Department of the Interior Building and the National Archives in Washington DC(circa 1930). Other notable installations include: St. Mary of the Lake Chapel, Mundelein, Illinois (circa 1920) and Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania (circa 1937) Whatever one may think and wonder of cork flooring longevity, all the original installations mentioned remain to this day. "
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...cork-intro.htm

Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Default I don't know why they moved my post

No, I don't mind at all about adding bamboo to the list. And thanks for the info you posted.

I guess they moved my post from raleigh/durham, and I really don't understand why because there are lots of posts there about wood floors and nobody moved those posts, so I don't get it.

I'll have to figure out where I am now.

Thanks,
toodie

Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,174,191 times
Default We've installed Cork in two homes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

Thanks,
toodie
Toodie- A couple years back we finished off our basement, and used cork for the flooring. It was absolutely gorgeous. We used cork that came in "planks" that snapped together, tongue and groove (like hardwood does). After installation, the cork is coated with sometype of product that seals it and gives it a mellow sheen. We loved it so much that we used it in our bonus room and foyer of another home. I too was so worried that it would look like a cork bulletin board, but it doesn't look like that at all. It is durable, and actually not cold to the bare feet as hardwood or tile can be. Perfect application for a basement, or anywhere for that matter.

Everyone who saw it in our homes just raved about it. There are tons of colors and patterns to choose from. Cork floors have been used for decades and decades in Europe and in Commercial buildings such as banks. Its not really new, just new to us.

My engineer husband who researches everything to the nth degree found a fantastic website source. We got a great price and he installed the flooring himself. The place we ordered it from was a family owned business, very informative and helpful from start to finish, with our project.

Go for it! You will be delighted beyond your expectations.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,430,712 times
My in-laws had cork floor in their sun room. The floors were gorgeous and looked nothing like a bulletin board. It was not, however, a good floor for a sunroom. A sunroom needs a flooring material that will act as a heat sink (stone or tile), and I think their choice of flooring was a big contributor to why their sunroom overheated so badly in the summer. We are finishing our basement, and pretty sure we will be using cork flooring. Probably the click-together type.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Great information! Thank you for your replies. Sounds like those who see cork floors are impressed with the look of it.

Best,
toodie

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,981,137 times
We visited the library near our home for the first time yesterday, and it had what appeared to be a beautiful honed stone floor- the material even went up the stairs as well. What I found odd was that it didn't have the "cold", hard feel of stone, but had the look. As I checked it out further, I realized that it was actually 12"x12" cork tiles- they looked great, and were holding up incredibly well in such a heavily traveled public building.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,137,223 times
Now I'm wondering if this wouldn't be perfect in a bathroom when you forgot your slippers in the middle of the night.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 AM

15,205 posts, read 11,565,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Now I'm wondering if this wouldn't be perfect in a bathroom when you forgot your slippers in the middle of the night.
Now you have me interested for a bathroom installation.....

Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 AM

5,151 posts, read 10,985,491 times
We are currently debating installing cork floor in the kitchen that we are having remodeled. A couple of people have told us it would not be their first choice for a kitchen. Anyone have thoughts on this? I love the look of a cork floor!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House