Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
think safety first and keep your SD operational at all times

you must be able to come up with about 18 feet of stuff (wastebaskets, coffee table, appliances, etc.)around the house that you can stack on top of each other to make a tower to reach the SD and change the battery.
lol I had this mental image like a cartoon with a stacked pyramid of stuff all balanced on a ball and a person at the very top swaying to install a bulb/battery
Gotta rep you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
Smoke detectors have a life span. When that's reached, they will chirp until replaced. Don't fool with your safety. Hire someone to fix it.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:53 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
think safety first and keep your SD operational at all times

you must be able to come up with about 18 feet of stuff (wastebaskets, coffee table, appliances, etc.)around the house that you can stack on top of each other to make a tower to reach the SD and change the battery.
Wise words, Ghengis - make sure the first piece in the stack has wheels because you don't want to stack everything and then need to move it slightly to the right or the left. The wheels will keep it mobile. Always plan in advance.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
lol I had this mental image like a cartoon with a stacked pyramid of stuff all balanced on a ball and a person at the very top swaying to install a bulb/battery
Gotta rep you
And your screen name says it all................smacking your head as Harry Homeowner says "I can do this................"

Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
There are several smoke detectors in my house but it's the one that Laurel & Hardy electricians installed in the loft at 23 feet above the floor that's chirping! I cannot get to it. For now I shut off the circuit breaker to the loft but what needs to be done to that wired in smoke detector assuming I can find some able person with a tall ladder to go up there?
I can relate to this. First night in a " new " old house and the wired in smoke detectors started to chirp. No escape and we could not get them to stop. Even now, I think some have been ripped off the ceiling and the wires pulled down and capped. While people are talking safety, some of this "highest point " code stuff is disasterous. After paying for super trusses in a wing with what sounds similar to your situation, the county required attic access . Fire code. You have to access any space, no matter how small or high....They had to cut the trusses to put in the proper size...................Absurd . I know , safety but seriously - in case of fire , one is going to put up a 23 foot ladder and climb into a wee space???? And it also looked beyond stupid to take this beautiful room and have this huge access in the ceiling. So much for aesthetics.

Back to your detector - I will double check but I think the capping the wires will do it but will check with the killer of the detectors when he awakes. Has someone designed a better smoke detector for these horrible wired into the house systems that also have batteries because there has to be a better mousetrap. Yes, you can hire someone for all of these little issues but not everyone has the finances to do so because t'aint nothin' cheap nomore 'cept quality.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
I can relate to this. First night in a " new " old house and the wired in smoke detectors started to chirp. No escape and we could not get them to stop. Even now, I think some have been ripped off the ceiling and the wires pulled down and capped. While people are talking safety, some of this "highest point " code stuff is disasterous. After paying for super trusses in a wing with what sounds similar to your situation, the county required attic access . Fire code. You have to access any space, no matter how small or high....They had to cut the trusses to put in the proper size...................Absurd . I know , safety but seriously - in case of fire , one is going to put up a 23 foot ladder and climb into a wee space???? And it also looked beyond stupid to take this beautiful room and have this huge access in the ceiling. So much for aesthetics.

Back to your detector - I will double check but I think the capping the wires will do it but will check with the killer of the detectors when he awakes. Has someone designed a better smoke detector for these horrible wired into the house systems that also have batteries because there has to be a better mousetrap. Yes, you can hire someone for all of these little issues but not everyone has the finances to do so because t'aint nothin' cheap nomore 'cept quality.

New hardwired smoke and carbon detector comes with 10 years battery.

i12010SCO

Old 10-21-2016, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
A lot os smoke detectors are defective right out of the box. I do not remember how many we have (13? 18? somewhere in there). I went through three boxes (of 12) to get a full set of good ones. Later discovered part of the problem is they were not Kidde brand. Kidde = fewer problems IME.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
You need to rent one of these...

Genie AC Aerial Work Platform with Sliding Mid-Rail Entry — 25Ft.H, 350Lb. Capacity, Model# AWP 25 AC STD | Work Lifts| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
700 pounds! How would they get it up the stairs?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
If your safety is important to you, get someone who knows your local codes (electrician) and see if you can move that detector to a more suitable spot easier to access.
As I said and most people don't know, detectors have a life span. Our first were 7 years and our new ones 10. After that time they will chirp until replaced. new batteries won't stop the chirping as they are now junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House