Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:01 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Most likely some pranksters stole it and dumped it on someone's lawn. Just hope your name wasn't on anything or you could get blamed for it. Like the young girl in the news who was fined for dumping garbage, because someone dropped one of the family's bags in the street and her name and address was on something inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
USAF Colonel with a TS/SCI (not me; a relative)? Was told it "could".
If anyone does that, it's because you already have a clearance and they suspect you of misusing it. Getting a clearance is a matter of things that are record--like criminal and financial records--and character revealed from people who know you (and they cast that net very wide) and polygraph testing.

If anyone goes through trash, it's to find evidence to use against you--they would reject you for clearance long before going to the trouble of going through a relative's trash.

I had a TS/SCI for more than a quarter of a century.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We also shred all bills and divide the shreddings up into various bags of trash which we take directly to the dump ourselves. We don't do trash collection. The only mail that ends up directly in the trash is junk mail.
Even if it is just "junk mail", make sure it doesn't have your name and address on it. When we get junk mail, we take off our name and address (rip it off either the envelope or flyer) and shred it.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Please. What do you folks do to safeguard your bills, etc., after the postal carrier leaves them in your unsecured mail box? Wouldn't it be a lot easier for an identity thief to pull a bill out of your mail box than to steal whole bags full of garbage HOPING they will find the 1 in a hundred credit card bill that actually has a complete account number on it? And NO bill will also have your expiration date or three digit security number on it, so no value for an online purchase. Think about it.
We got a PO Box just for that reason. We make sure all our credit card bills go to the PO Box. As for other bills, we have them go to the PO Box, also. However, our electric company, for some reason, only allows the bills to go to the house.

They do make mailboxes that can be partially locked:

https://www.wayfair.com/All-Mailboxe...FdFbhgod1dYHJA

Unfortunately, our HOA doesn't allow them.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Are you being investigated for anything? Just saying...

Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
usaf colonel with a ts/sci (not me; a relative)? Was told it "could".
lol

Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If anyone does that, it's because you already have a clearance and they suspect you of misusing it. Getting a clearance is a matter of things that are record--like criminal and financial records--and character revealed from people who know you (and they cast that net very wide) and polygraph testing.

If anyone goes through trash, it's to find evidence to use against you--they would reject you for clearance long before going to the trouble of going through a relative's trash.

I had a TS/SCI for more than a quarter of a century.
Going through the trash and moving and leaving the trash can on the curb does not sound like someone who could get a warrant would do at all. There is some liability with entering a person's property and moving things. Taking the trash when it is on your property without a warrant? Good luck with that.

They just do not need to do this.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
It's not pananoia, it's the way it is now. I once found someone's opened mail in my front yard. It included bills wth checks that the homeowner had left out for the letter carrier... envelopes torn open, all the checks were gone. There were also credit apps to the homeowner...torn open & apps gone. When I called the local post office, they refused to come for it. A volunteer with local sheriff came. My mail was stolen in the past...nightmare.

Shred everything with your name on it, including address labels on catalogs, magazines, invoices, rx labels, junk mail.

Keep trash can in secure place until collection time.

Don't leave outgoing mail, epecially checks with bills, out in your box for letter carrier to take. Take to PO, or mailbox before last collection time...yes a PITA, but alternative is worse.

Also, put loose, unbagged dog poop on top of your outside trash, it's a deterrent to trash thieves.

Get a STURDY locking mailbox.
Personally I just burn anything that could potentially have any personal information on it, then soak the remains in water for a week before composting to be sure it is all completely obliterated. Plants don't talk!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Going through the trash and moving and leaving the trash can on the curb does not sound like someone who could get a warrant would do at all. There is some liability with entering a person's property and moving things. Taking the trash when it is on your property without a warrant? Good luck with that.

They just do not need to do this.
I'm not particularly arguing that any government officials had anything to do with it at all, except that if they did, it was to find evidence in a crime investigation...not a security clearance investigation.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Don't complain, someone ran off with my trash bin ..... and left the trash. Yeah, they pulled out four plastic bags worth, left them on the driveway, and scooted with the container, even though I had painted the house address no. on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House