Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:18 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times

Advertisements

Brass is making a comeback, I recently bought a house with brass fixtures in some of the bathrooms and all the hinges and some door handles are also brass, I kinda like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 AM

31 posts, read 34,757 times
From a realtors point of view....yes replace them. They are not currently in style and today's buyers have been watching too much HGTV and will either label your home as "dated" and move on and or will offer you a lower offer so they can update those items themselves.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Hinges? Lol. Never heard of anyone actually upgrading their hinges.
Hinges are about $1 each on Amazon - on a complete remodel, it's silly not to change them, we're talking $20 for the entire house and no extra time for replacement (on a complete remodel, I pull the doors & have them sprayed anyway). My market is very competitive, so touches like wide baseboard moldings, replacement knobs, hinges, outlets & switch-plates add an extra "like-new" effect & don't add much cost.

In my area, it's not unusual to have 300 homes in a subdivision that are all pretty much the same - so one that *doesn't* have any brass, or popcorn ceilings, or oak cabinets with butcher-block countertops looks & "feels" much newer & "better maintained"..

That said, on a 2002 build, I don't think I'd go that far - things like new shower doors could cost a lot of dough for minimum "pop" value. The tub/shower valves have "trim kits" available to replace all the parts you see for not much money, but unless you're completely eradicating the brass, I don't think it's worth doing at all - it'll just make the brass that's left stick out more.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:09 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess I don't understand why one would "update" a house that was only built in 2002. It's only 14 years old. Replace broken stuff, sure, but bathroom fixtures ought to last at least 30 or 40 years. Changing out hinges to match? That's just nutty. Certainly if you are getting ready to sell it, don't get involved in any of that stuff. The vast majority of people will not notice your door hinges.
70s/80s fixtures would look great in today's homes.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecarolina View Post
From a realtors point of view....yes replace them. They are not currently in style and today's buyers have been watching too much HGTV and will either label your home as "dated" and move on and or will offer you a lower offer so they can update those items themselves.
Maybe I'm an oddball, but when I go into an older home and see original fixtures in "like new" condition, that tells me the owners have taken really good care of the place.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Hinges? Lol. Never heard of anyone actually upgrading their hinges.

We changed our hinges when we went from brass to nickel. It would have looked silly otherwise. I say replace the bathroom fixtures! If you want a quick sale little detail like that will matter as the home will look dated. We sold our home 5 months ago and that's exactly what our realtor told us. All brass MUST go!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Leave them. Brass is coming back in style, and don't get hung up on trivial decor choices. Let the new owner fuss about that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Not if it's builder's grade materials from a house built in 2002.
Bathroom faucets don't wear out in 14 years. Kitchen faucets, maybe; they take more abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
70s/80s fixtures would look great in today's homes.
Actually, they would.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Leave them. Brass is coming back in style, and don't get hung up on trivial decor choices. Let the new owner fuss about that stuff.

Bathroom faucets don't wear out in 14 years. Kitchen faucets, maybe; they take more abuse.

Actually, they would.

Yes they do if they are just builder's grade. My sister's home was built in 2001 with lots of builder grade materials. Look at a builder grade faucet built in the 70's and 80's vs late 90's.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Leave it. It's all backsplashes nowadays.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Can you take them off and spray with rustoleum to get a new look? That may be worth a shot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House