Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 03:57 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,293,877 times

Advertisements

I am looking at these two products. The finer filter costs 3X as much, and shipping costs are outrageous. One is kind of home spun and the other is more solid block.

Whole House Cartridge reduces Silt, Rust and Sediment Price
(1) Brita Universal poly Block Cartridge 10 micron $9.99 for two & FREE Shipping
(2) Campbell 1ss Sediment Filter Cartridges, 5 Micron $29.99 & expensive Shipping

Is there something that makes the more expensive unit worth the price?

Second question is that Brita also sells this companion filter. Is it worth the price?

Brita Model # WFWHF-1040(0)
Universal Carbon Wrap 2-Phase Cartridge (2-Pack) $10.99
The Brita Carbon Wrap Sediment Whole House Cartridge provides cleaner water by reducing Aesthetic Chlorine and Sediment from your incoming household water. This filter traps particles 5 microns or greater and provides up to 3 months protection from damaging sediment. The Carbon Wrap filter improves water clarity for ready access to cleaner water. The drop-in filter makes filter replacement easy. This filter is compatible with most major brands.
4 GPM, 5 micron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 PM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
In general...

A whole house filter is just used to limit crud that can build up in your system or contain particles that raise havoc with seals and end up clogging diffuser screen in faucets. I use the simple spun thread type to filter water going into my cistern. I get them as a two pack at Lowes for around $10. Using carbon in a whole house filter generally isn't practical. The quantity of water going through it, and the short time the water is in contact with any carbon, and the small amount of carbon in it means that it is worthless after a few days. Worse, a carbon filter can harbor bacteria once depleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House