Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:07 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Neighbors that quote ordinances and not the spirit of the ordinance are usually the worst.

Example:

"I'm sorry I'm being loud, I'll be sure to finish up soon. I realize people have to get up early to work"

usually works better than

"It says here I can work and make noise until 11pm and it's only 10:40 so back off"

Not saying this is your attitude but you keep throwing out ordinance rules but you have to understand the spirit behind the rule first sometimes.
I almost said option one verbatim, until they got feisty. Then I escalated to option 2, except it was only 10pm. She was screaming she has to get up at 6 am, did not sit well with me who was on day 20 of getting up at 5 am to go to work, then going to the house to work until 9-11 pm every night. Admittingly, my patience was slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 10:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Exactly. We did call the police yesterday after the man yelled at me about 4 times from his bathroom window. The officer said there is about 4 bad neighbors in every neighborhood. The guy would not open the door when the officer attempted to talk to him.

On a good note, the townhouse is completely finished and ready to go on market. We even mulched the neighbors flower beds to make everything look fresh and nice.

Best bet at this point is just get it sold, be mindful of hostile neighbors and potential for vandalism. If no-one is in the home, maybe worth a webcam or two to keep an eye out?

Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

Best bet at this point is just get it sold, be mindful of hostile neighbors and potential for vandalism. If no-one is in the home, maybe worth a webcam or two to keep an eye out?
It is officially in the market and hopefully will sell super fast. I will only miss one neighbor.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
I almost said option one verbatim, until they got feisty. Then I escalated to option 2, except it was only 10pm. She was screaming she has to get up at 6 am, did not sit well with me who was on day 20 of getting up at 5 am to go to work, then going to the house to work until 9-11 pm every night. Admittingly, my patience was slim.
I gather both of you are impatient and at fault

Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Quote:
But just because you are working on your house late in the evening (yes, before "quiet hours") doesn't mean that others will be sympathetic. Yes, you are working late and getting up before this neighbor does, but she has every right to be upset. Just because you can get by on minimal sleep doesn't mean that this neighbor can also get by on little sleep. You are choosing to work late and stay up late, but you are not allowing your neighbor that choice.

The quiet hours don't start until 11, so you can continue to follow them, working until 11 if you choose, because that is your *right*, or you can be a good neighbor and make an effort to get along with those around you. Find out when they go to bed and try to be done with the noisy work before then.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
You can't please everyone. Hateful neighbors are everywhere that's why living close to strangers is never a good idea. But if you want to be close to the action that's a risk you are going to take. For me i rather be about 10-20 minutes away from everything and people out in the country. That way if i don't click with my neighbors they are not a stones throw away from my house.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:42 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
This is an outsider's perspective based solely on what you have said..... not attempting to point fingers but rather get you to think about it from another point of view.

Quote:
I am trying to prepare a house to sell. Late Thursday night, I bag up wood scraps from a deck repair and put on curb. Trash pick up is on Fridays. We left the house and a neighbor threw the bags into the backyard.

I am so over this house and neighbors. How do you deal with hateful people? I just want to sell and get out of here.

Quote:
Moved 18 months ago to gain peace from the neighbors. I love my quiet house in the country. I can't wait to sell the townhouse from hell. Good luck to the new owners

What's the rest of the story? Is there any possibility that you are doing something that is as irritating to them as they are to you? Food for thought. Not saying you are.... but you could be and not realize it.

Quote:
Because when we left the bags were on the curb by the street. When we returned to the house, the bags had been tossed into the fenced back yard. Did the bags walk 10 yards and leap over a 9ft fence by themselves?

I could also guess which neighbor, because he screamed at me for putting trash out last week. And Thursday night yelled because we were using a circular saw to replace deck boards.

It's a guess. You can't really make that assumption because you all have had disagreements. Unless you see someone do something it isn't wise to accuse them of it. I have seen two neighbors get into it over something similar, only to find out some kids were the real cause because they wanted to see the two neighbors argue in the front yard for giggles. You really can't know for certain without cameras. Also to note, your response was fairly confrontational and condescending.... if that is the same method in which you respond to neighbors who disagree with something you are doing then yes, you could very well be instigating an issue and not realize it.

Quote:
I have had three awful neighbors there. One directly next door. One directly behind and one two doors down.

None of the three have actual jobs that occupy their time.

People make no sense. I certainly would not move the trash but he is a jerk. He poisoned and killed the neighbors dog because it was trained to use the common property in between his and my house and the neighbor didn't like it.

Quote:
The dog owner told me about the dog after the guy had issues with me over the trash. I had no idea before hand.

This is hearsay...... Never take what someone tells you about someone else at face value. Sometimes the neighbor telling you the juicy info could be the actual problem neighbor and not the person being discussed.

Quote:
Yes noise ordinance is from 11 pm until 6am. We werd done prior to 11.

Quote:

This is a HUGE problem for me personally. I have a sleep disorder so what few hours I can get at night are precious time. I don't care what time you go to work or how long you work.... you make the choice of when you will work on the townhouse. A lot of people are asleep well before 10pm (myself included) because they have to go to work. For me, if you wake me up I'm up until sunrise. I could imagine being as ornery as the neighbor if I had taken my sleeping meds and were woken up an hour or so later to a circular saw running. At that point not only can I NOT go back to sleep, I also have to be groggy and tired the rest of the night and the next day.

The point is that despite a posted ordinance, sometimes it pays more to be neighborly and respectful of the neighbors just as you expect them to be respectful of you. If it were a one time occurrence I would have even let the neighbors know that I had to work a little late that one night and apologize up front for any disturbance it may cause.

It pays to really reflect on your own actions before assuming it's everyone else. (Again, not pointing at you... but merely making a general statement)

Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
But just because you are working on your house late in the evening (yes, before "quiet hours") doesn't mean that others will be sympathetic. Yes, you are working late and getting up before this neighbor does, but she has every right to be upset. Just because you can get by on minimal sleep doesn't mean that this neighbor can also get by on little sleep. You are choosing to work late and stay up late, but you are not allowing your neighbor that choice.

The quiet hours don't start until 11, so you can continue to follow them, working until 11 if you choose, because that is your *right*, or you can be a good neighbor and make an effort to get along with those around you. Find out when they go to bed and try to be done with the noisy work before then.
If I had a choice, I would have been home and in my own bed. But the reality was I needed to finish the house repairs and get it on the market. I can't really afford to pay two mortgages, so this house needs to sell fast.

I managed to get help for that one night and I needed to utilize it while it was available.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You can't please everyone. Hateful neighbors are everywhere that's why living close to strangers is never a good idea. But if you want to be close to the action that's a risk you are going to take. For me i rather be about 10-20 minutes away from everything and people out in the country. That way if i don't click with my neighbors they are not a stones throw away from my house.
I learned I needed to live in an area where I own my own 2 1/2 acres, instead of having 25 townhouses on the same amount of land.

My new house is so peaceful. Our neighbors are deer.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:23 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Because when we left the bags were on the curb by the street. When we returned to the house, the bags had been tossed into the fenced back yard. Did the bags walk 10 yards and leap over a 9ft fence by themselves?

I could also guess which neighbor, because he screamed at me for putting trash out last week. And Thursday night yelled because we were using a circular saw to replace deck boards.

A 9 ft fence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House