Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, maybe he strained himself and couldn't get the fourth bag over your fence.
One can only hope ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 PM

124 posts, read 121,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Jan,

I used to work in code enforcement and that's not how it works. You would have to file for a variance of the ordinance or remove the fence. If they 'grandfather' you in, they would have to do so with others.
I think it depends on where you live, btw I do think you are wrong, because there are many things that get grandfathered in. Like buildings that are too close to the property line, but because it was built 20 years ago it got grandfathered in. You build an addition to your house and you sell it, it gets grandfathered in for the next tenants.

So I'm not sure where you lived, but where I lived it was common to get things grandfathered in.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Townships and districts do carry such peace laws. Some do range as late as 11 pm. Not hard to comprehend when you live in an area that is business and residential mixed.

We had an HOA petition a local high end hotel because they had snow making machines running as late as 11 pm and as early as 5 am. Trust me those devices are extremely loud! I despise HOA communities..but this is one time that I was rooting for them to enforce our peace law. The hotel won though...the owner is on the township committee. It was bought and paid for before the judge even signed off on the ruling...the hoa is on the golf course that is adjacent to the hotel.

Anyways...no matter how annoying the poster may seem to the neighbor...retaliation and destructive antics are still unwarranted. We had purchased a home and the former tenants ( they were renters)..came by and sprayed graffiti ...we were horrified as the new owners..they had no idea we had started renovating. The police did nothing despite the over night antic. It would be 2 years later that the truth was revealed. One of the guys who catered our house party blurted out that he and his "buddies" did the graffiti ....I said ahhh...so you did realise we were the owners, and you caused us to fork out 500$ to get that muck off our brick? He was agape! He thought the landlord was still the owner...
Bottom line...assumptions can be costly.
I couldn't have agreed with you more.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
If it WAS the OPs attitude it would have been entirely justified. If the ordinance says 11, there's no reason to stop before 11. Plus it would only be on in short bursts when cutting off boards for a deck.

A circular saw isn't THAT noisy. Try growing up next to an active SAC unit during the Cold War.

Now THAT is NOISE.
Exactly or try having to live right beside train tracks.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I think it depends on where you live, btw I do think you are wrong, because there are many things that get grandfathered in. Like buildings that are too close to the property line, but because it was built 20 years ago it got grandfathered in. You build an addition to your house and you sell it, it gets grandfathered in for the next tenants.

So I'm not sure where you lived, but where I lived it was common to get things grandfathered in.
And without that information your assertion that I am wrong is meaningless.

But, civilians disagreeing with (or thinking that they know more than) code enforcement is par for fhe course.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
That's funny you say he can't co-exist with humans yet you live in a HOA LMAO!!!

HOA's are usually the ones in gated communities or off the beaten path of most regular people.

Sounds like you can co-exist with other humans just ones that live in hoa's
You clearly have a mistaken idea of HOAs. They exist plentifully in most Southwestern states that lack zoning regulations taken for granted in some other parts of the country. The vast majority of HOA communities here are hardly exclusive. Mine is not a gated community and is decidedly middle class.

I pay $40 a month to have clean and well-landscaped public areas, clean streets, a nice park, entrances with signage, etc. We also have rules that maintain order for those of us who cannot afford to purchase multiple acres of land to be exclusive and live in silence. Those rules extend primarily to the upkeep of our houses, what we can do in our FRONT yards that are visible to others, how we take care of our landscaping, parking regulations, noise abatement, and pet rules.

My community is 15 years old now and our homes continue to increase in value, which I appreciate, being a regular person who has to live within a strict budget. Our rules are mainly common sense, a characteristic some people seem to lack. No way would I purchase property in an area of dense population in Arizona that didn't have HOA rules.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM

These people complaining about noise past 8pm must have no life or something. Just remember when I am out working well past the quiet time, and you want to party way past the quiet time, I will do the same to you that you have done to me. So if you call the cops, I will do the same back.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And without that information your assertion that I am wrong is meaningless.

But, civilians disagreeing with (or thinking that they know more than) code enforcement is par for fhe course.
You never said anything in your first statement regarding where a person lived, you just said that's not how it works. You never said anything about what codes or variances they were violating. You just said that's not how it works. I think you are in the wrong because you never clarified yourself to in what regards you were referring to in your first statement.

We don't even know the state, the county or the city or township in which they live so you just made a flippant statement without acknowledging any of that information.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Something not making sense here.

The deck repair was being done on "not a school night" yet the construction debris put out on the curb at 10:30 p.m. was to be collected at 7 the following morning. That means the trash collection was on Saturday or Sunday since "not a school night" has to be Friday or Saturday. I've never lived anywhere where garbage trucks picked up on weekends or Monday holidays.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Something not making sense here.

The deck repair was being done on "not a school night" yet the construction debris put out on the curb at 10:30 p.m. was to be collected at 7 the following morning. That means the trash collection was on Saturday or Sunday since "not a school night" has to be Friday or Saturday. I've never lived anywhere where garbage trucks picked up on weekends or Monday holidays.
Don't quote me, but I think she said earlier on, that it was on a Thursday night, and schools do close for certain occasions on Fridays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House