Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:43 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times

Advertisements

I got my little giant at Costco. Love it. Checked the Werner ones and I didn't think they were made as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I agree that it would be worthwhile to pay the LG premium if that keeps me form getting dumped again. What I am wondering is whether LG is really that much better than Werner (or really whether Werner is that much worse) and now the HF ladder. Many things are the exact same item with different name tags and different price tags. Other things are good enough and the expensive brands are overkill (Snap on hand tools vs Matco or even older craftsman for example Sure Snap on are better, but unless you use them constantly all day every day not worth the difference. Are these type of ladders the same or different?).

I think the HF one is out of consideration. All I can find is a 17 foot ladder. Do they have a bigger one? I need 22 - 26 feet.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:29 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
I wouldn't use anything available at Harbor Freight in any sort of life safety role.

I've had my 22' Werner multi-ladder for about 5 years, use it pretty regularly, it's just as sturdy and tight lockup as when new.

That said, if I needed a +24 foot extension ladder regularly, I would buy an aluminum extension ladder instead of relying on a multi-ladder.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I wouldn't use anything available at Harbor Freight in any sort of life safety role.

I've had my 22' Werner multi-ladder for about 5 years, use it pretty regularly, it's just as sturdy and tight lockup as when new.

That said, if I needed a +24 foot extension ladder regularly, I would buy an aluminum extension ladder instead of relying on a multi-ladder.
Unfortunately, I need the different heights and configurations. We have a lot of ladder work inside and out to do and we have 3 stairways where we will need a ladder, as well as the outside high up places. For power-washing an extension ladder does not work well for me, I prefer to use an A frame ladder or something that has a bit more stability, plus you need to get a bit further from the surface than an extension ladder can do. Multiladders work much better for painting too. The big extension ladders are really expensive, especially fiberglass ones. I do not want to buy two or three different sizes extension ladders, two or three different sized A frame ladders and still need a multi ladder for stairs/ I do not have the storage or the budget for all that.

Nonesuch, if you do not mind my asking, do you weigh more than 220, and do you carry heavy things up the ladder? IF you do mind, just don't answer.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If they won't, come on down and you can climb all over mine. The wife is from Lansing and would love to see somebody from Michigan. I have all kinds of heavy stuff you can put in yer hands too. Some of it I'd be glad for you to take it back with you.
Do you live in Pilot Point?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The ladder you describe sounds very similar to one we bought in early 90s. The ladder itself was pretty strong, but the locking mechanism was ginchy. Was a really great concept and we used it while remodeling our first house. However the locking mechanism wore and wouldn't lock into place properly and I no longer trusted it so we got rid of it. After that I've gone with individual ladders, but if I went back to a multi ladder, it would be LG.

Basically it sounds like you want us to convince you to get the cheaper ladder. You've already been dumped once. Think of it this way. If you are so high off the ground you worry about being dumped, then overkill is underrated.
Sounds like the same one. Used it for the same purpose (restore our first antique house) and it was great. Now we need one to finish our current house and we have tons to do.

I can see the Werner one is not as well built as the Little Giant. However the cost difference is astronomical. If it were 20% more I would buy LG in an instant. This price difference warrants some investigation.

Sometimes you spend too much for overkill. To use the sports car example if you want to go 0-60 in 5 seconds and drive up to 100 mph, you really do not need to pay more for a car that will go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and travel at 200 mph.

Although I am not sure the HF version of LG is still a possibility because they do not seem to have big ones, I have gotten both terrific tools and awful tools at HF.

Sometimes paying the premium makes sense, sometimes not.

That is why I am seeking as many people's experience with LG and Werner ladders (and maybe HF if they do have a big one) as possible.

However when someone mentioned ratcheting levelers ont he LG ladders, I might have been sold. Does Werner have those?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:22 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0151HKYWA?psc=1

For whomever was interested, this is somewhat simlar to the one that failed. The one I have is bigger and it has metal bars that you use to lock/unlock both joints at the same time. When locked, metal bar nestles against a step, you pull it out to unlock it.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For whomever was interested, this is somewhat simlar to the one that failed. The one I have is bigger and it has metal bars that you use to lock/unlock both joints at the same time. When locked, metal bar nestles against a step, you pull it out to unlock it.
Looking at that hinge/lock design, I'm not sure that I'd trust it.

The Werner & Little Giant multiple-pins-through-holes looks worlds better.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:32 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Yep, that's the one we had. Loved the multi configurations, but when that locking mechanism failed, that was it. Made of some kind of pot metal for the latch with a handle that pulled both sides at the same time. What would happen is one side would lock, but the other would only halfway go in.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

CJ, if you are using a ladder to go 15-20 feet up, it is a life-safety issue. It's easy enough to fall off a good ladder, don't go cheaping out and get hurt with a cheap ladder. Go get the Little Giant and call it a day. If you are a big guy and carrying heavy tools, all the more reasons to buy top quality. Economize somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House