Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's not an "investment in the house." Furniture goes with you when you move and makes no difference in the selling price. Putting in a conservatory or a pool or a new bathroom - that's investing in the house. Furniture ain't.

Don't listen to such drivel. If you like it minimalist - then keep it that way.
Correct conceptually, but a pool is not an investment either. $65,000 pool increases the value of the home $0, except to you. the same is true of $65,000 of furniture. Conservatory only counts if you build it heated and attached (no door) so you can count it int he square footage. Bathrooms definitely. We seem to be obsessed with bathrooms these days. Want to sell a 2br house? put in 10 bathrooms.

I agree with the prior poster, OP needs new friends, not new furniture.

We had plastic milk crates for most of our furniture for our first 5 or so years. We slowly replaced the crate structures piece by piece, sometimes I miss them. Milk crates are very versatile. We had a good income but huge student loan debt (and then twins). We had lots of wealthy friends who visited frequently. No one complained about our furniture, except before we got a couch. Milk crates are not comfortable to sit on unless you have a pillow on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda333 View Post
Seriously? Buying furniture for your house isn't an investment; its consumption. Not saying there's anything wrong with buying furniture and decor, but don't think for a second that any of it will appreciate in value or increase the value of your home.

To get back to the question: What PP said. Do what you like. I think I'd like your home - soothing visually (because no clutter) and easy to clean I bet! I have 2 kids, spouse, dog, and the more I get rid of things the less I have to clean or organize things.

Just because someone has money doesn't mean they have to spend it.
I have to quibble here. There is more than one definition of "investment." For example, a high-quality $4,000 couch could be a great investment if it lasts 15 years, when compared to 5 $1,000 couches that each break down after 3 years. Investing in something doesn't have to mean that you will be able to sell it for more money later.

But to the OP: you are entitled to have your house however you want it. If you prefer minimalism and/or you don't want to spend money on home furnishings then that is your prerogative. I will say that it's a bit weird when somebody puts virtually nothing of themselves into their home, but I would never say anything about it to the homeowner.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:51 PM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
Agree wholeheartedly! Get some new friends and by the way, "friends" don't say things like this to true friends. They are rude under the guise of friendship. If you like what you have at your "home" and you are comfortable.....as was said....your house, your money.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:39 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
As long as you're happy with your furniture it doesn't matter what your friends think. I think they're even being a little rude for saying that to you. They're supposed to be visiting you, not your furniture.
Maybe they're jealous that you get to do a lot of traveling and they don't.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Actually, antique furniture CAN increase in value, if properly cared for (and chosen well to start with).

You just have to do your homework. If you like simple, clean lines, consider Mission/Arts and Crafts furniture, for both function and investment purposes. It is sturdy, long-lived and back in fashion these days.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Quite recently we have had atleast 2 couples comment that given our income we could afford to decorate more. One of them advised us to invest in the house by buying higher end furniture. Would you heed such advice? My spouse is coming around but I really prefer to not splurge on home decor/furniture.
The OP said his friends made a comment on their income. That is why I asked the question. One does not need a beautiful home to communicate they have money. A well appointed home does, communicate the tastes of the owners. It does not have to be expensive.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
Some people are just miserable human beings and delight in being critical of others AND their decor.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I don't know if you want to get into all that. Before you know it you'll have things like lamps. Maybe a magazine rack. And then you'll want a magazine for the rack.

Before you know it, you'll be talking about hassocks and the etagere and the armoire. You never know where this could lead.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:37 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Enjoy your traveling while you can. The minimalist style will also suit you better when you decide to have kids....less for them to bump into, less for them to have accidents on. More room to play!

Don't let the 'friends' get to you.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
I can appreciate the way you live. I am a minimalist and people have always commented about about how spartan my home is. I do not have a lot of stuff, but the stuff I do have is high quality. I enjoy walking into my home and it not being overcrowded or cluttered with possessions. This also allows me to use my garage for its intended purpose....to park my car in. When my neighbors open their garage doors they are full to the rafters with things other than cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House