Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Looks like termites to me. I'm not aware of a yellow ant but termites can be yellow. Might take a closer look at the pics in the linky:
https://www.google.com/search?q=subt...HScHD9oQsAQIGw
I am not sure. When you look at the picture #4 from his post #1 - they look just like yellow ants. Their shape is like of ants. Compare with his post #5 and the pics 2, 5, 6, 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:06 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
There are some that look like ants with wings....they look like carpenter ants to me.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
OP your last picture blown up looks to be adult termites.
https://www.google.com/search?q=term...zEf6Rfo2biM%3A

Old 10-29-2016, 12:36 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IMHO - ants.
Ants (flying kind) have wasp-like bodies... pinched waists. "Elbow" antenna.
Termites have wide thorax, no pinched waist. Straight antenna.
Yes, look at their antennae.

Termites vs Ants: Are They Ants or Termites?

Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Those are ants. Not sure of the exact species, but that's a typical mating flight swarm.

The female and male winged ants rise to the surface with a number of workers to assist. The winged ants then fly off, do their thing, drop to the ground and the females pull their wings off. The males die. The females will then search around for a good place to start their nest.

They aren't carpenter ants. In your pictures of the winged ants, the males are noticeable smaller than the winged females. Far left of this pic is a group of 4 winged reproductive females, a reproductive male, and a sterile female worker ant attending.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...211435&o=OneUp

Most of those females that do drop to the ground and pull their wings off won't make it. Really why it's just a numbers game for them. 5000 or so might leave the nest, and maybe 10 colonies or so make it through the first year.

I wouldn't worry about this. Let them do their thing and 99% of the time they stay outside. If it concerns you, set some ant bait around your foundation that uses borax. Quite effective in eliminating colonies of ants that live near the house and might make their way in. I set up about a dozen bait stations and say my ant problem disappear in a few weeks.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM

81 posts, read 105,904 times
Sorry forgot to check back in over the weekend. Someone asked where I'm located, which is E. Tenn.
After doing more research I'm 99.99% positive these are ants, and 99% certain they are citronella ants. Coloration and banding on the back end of the reddish ones are a perfect match. Local ag extension office confirmed they occur here, and what I saw was a common occurrence, essentially a mating swarm in fall. Apparently pretty common to confuse these with termites. Came across a photo that matches exactly what I had http://pestcemetery.com/wp-content/u.../picture-8.png from this blog post about them The little known Citronella ant | Pest Cemetery

If I get the nerve I'll see if I can find a yellow one to uh, squish (yuck), and see if it smells like citronella/lemon.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxnut View Post
Sorry forgot to check back in over the weekend. Someone asked where I'm located, which is E. Tenn.
After doing more research I'm 99.99% positive these are ants, and 99% certain they are citronella ants. Coloration and banding on the back end of the reddish ones are a perfect match. Local ag extension office confirmed they occur here, and what I saw was a common occurrence, essentially a mating swarm in fall. Apparently pretty common to confuse these with termites. Came across a photo that matches exactly what I had http://pestcemetery.com/wp-content/u.../picture-8.png from this blog post about them The little known Citronella ant | Pest Cemetery

If I get the nerve I'll see if I can find a yellow one to uh, squish (yuck), and see if it smells like citronella/lemon.
Ewwwwwwwwwww *shivers*

Just thinking about that makes me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House