Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,011,624 times

Advertisements

Candy wrapped will last a couple of years so save it.I have some old candycorn that is 10 years old hard as concrete and still good it goes in bowel B if you come to my house needing a shave or a parent with a begging bag you get bowel B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 PM

671 posts, read 1,115,278 times
There was a local orthodontist that was buying back candy to send out to deployed military and was also going to donate a dollar per pound to juvenile diabetes charity. Darn I missed it.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,224,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I ALWAYS buy what I like-Hershey's bite size. Where we used to live (literally a block away), we would go through 10 bags of them. Sometimes we would even run out. The last couple of years, I bought my usual 10 bags but we only get half of the kids. Very strange for only a block away. I figured it is our road which is very busy-complete with trucks and most kids don't want to cross. Next year, I'm not going to buy as much-or maybe I will buy the FULL-size and then we will have kids from far and wide coming to our house. So, now we have 5 bags of Hershey's left. It is going to be a tough job but SOMEBODY has to eat it.

Cat
When I was a kid, we worshipped people who gave out full-size candy bars.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Candy wrapped will last a couple of years so save it.I have some old candycorn that is 10 years old hard as concrete and still good it goes in bowel B if you come to my house needing a shave or a parent with a begging bag you get bowel B.
Parents arrive with begging bags???

Old 11-02-2016, 07:12 AM

We never get trick-or-treaters. Every year I hope we will, so I always make sure we have candy on hand. That's easy, since both hubby and I love candy. OP, certain candy will keep a long time, but not chocolate. Chocolate gets stale and once it has that white coating on it, yuck. I vote for eating it or donating it.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Yeah. Usually late teen/early twenties. It's for the children. We had a few the other night where the kids were literally infants, like 3 months old.

I/we know most of them as our youngest son is that age bracket so he went to school with most of them. While Mrs. NBP deals with them with equanimity I will admit it annoys me.

But, then again, it's a ten cent candy bar so who really cares.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
You store strange things in your bowels.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 AM

18,762 posts, read 11,757,490 times
Our town has a collection center which sends it to our men and women in the military over seas. We got pretty well cleaned out and the left overs are slowly disappearing off of the counter top. MMMM Snickers. Don't mind if I do.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 AM

22,420 posts, read 47,411,742 times
Quote:
it goes in bowel B if you come to my house needing a shave or a parent with a begging bag you get bowel B.
Yuck!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
a whle ago, we lived in one of a few "nice" neighborhoods in a mostly impoverished city in California. Our neighbors really did up Halloween in a big way. Some even dug graves in their front yard and some had dummies in the graves while others had costumed people who would jump out at trick or theaters. Many houses gave out full sized candy bars, or the little goody bags with various toys and candies in the bag. We used to get 500 - 700 "kids" trick or treating. Churches would bring busloads of kids to trick or treat in our neighborhood. Many of the "kids" were young adults carrying costumed infants. Many were just adults. Some did not even bother with a costume.

One year we decided to address the moms with babies a different way. Our youngest had recently graduated to solid food and either out of diapers or moved up a size (forget which). When moms with babies came to the door, we either gave them a couple of left over packs of formula. or some diapers. We thought that might get them to stop because they were getting something that was actually for the baby, not for them. To the contrary, we ended up with a huge line of Moms with infants. Apparently, they went home and told their friends. Fortunately, at that time, our pediatrician would give us all the free samples she was given by the various formula and diaper companies, so we had tons of no longer needed formula and diapers. We eventually ran out though.

Our neighborhood was not that big, maybe 100 - 200 families and only a small percentage had kids, so you mostly knew which kids were from the hood and which were imported from elsewhere in the city. . Eventually pretty much everyone in our neighborhood used the two bowl method. One bowl had hard candies. The other had the full size bars or bags of goodies. If they recognized the kids as neighborhood kids, they got the better bowl. Sometimes cute little kids or kids who made a particularly creative effort with their costume got "good bowl" treats. the big kids, kids with no costumes, adults, all got just a butterscotch candy or mint. That did not seem to make any difference, they still came bey the hundreds.

When we ran out of candy, I would sit on the porch and start making animal balloons. However when word got out, half the kids who had already gotten candy form us came back for a balloon.

Sometimes kids would go home change their costume and come back. Some did not bother to change, but just kept coming back over and over. Eventually we would realize and cut them off.

500 - 700 kids meant that during T & T hours, there was basically a line at our door, down the walk and then down the sidewalk almost the whole time. We would hand out candy like mad. The other one would take our kids Trick or treating. We would then sort their candy, set aside the best stuff and give the rest back out. Sometimes the "good bowl" had some left and it was clear the actual neighborhood kids were pretty much gone, so we would dump the bowls together. That always caused a spurt of kids coming back looking for the better candy. somehow they communicated with each other almost instantly. I think they had little ear radios like the secret service uses.

No matter what we always eventually ran out of candy, balloons and diapers.

Funny, now, we get exactly zero trick or treaters. When our kids were of that age, we would at least get their friends and usually a few others. We gave out full sized bars, usually two or three per kid. If we left or took out kids to trick or treat, we just left bowl on the porch full of candy bars. Eventually however they just stopped coming. There are only three houses on our "block" no sidewalks and big expanses of woods between us and any other houses, so it probably was not worthwhile. When our kids were of age, we took them to a nearby subdivision, or they went to a friend's house in a subdivision and went with them. Not worth it if you have to walk half a mile to get to three houses and then only one or two of them have candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House