Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:39 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times

Advertisements

I was going to use a power washer for this, but not sure if it will slowly remove the brick pieces and siding. Should i use a cleaner or some chemical mix? If so, which ones do you recommend i buy? I will use the power washer for the concrete. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:51 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Spray chlorine bleach, give it some contact time, then pressure wash. Should look like new.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:56 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
It should clean up nicely with some bleach and power washer. Just be careful with he power washer (especially if you have a gas power one) around the Windows on the sidings. Start with the green nozzle. On the concrete pad, a yellow nozzle should do it's job.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I see what appears to be some wood rot below the right window in the picture. May want to take care of that and touch up/repaint that window trim.

With a pressure washer you'll probably uncover it. But as most others have said, bleach and the pressure washer will do the trick.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You've got some serious issues besides mildew. The windows are leaking and the trim has already gone to rot. The trim needs to be removed, the flashing, if any, needs attention and the trim replaced. The brick, unless you intend to point up the mortar you need to stay away from a power washer. The mortar is going to be a lot softer than the brick and I can assure you that it will be damaged. An acid wash brush on a stick with a detergent like Dawn and bleach will remove the crud from the brick. I would also suggest caution using a power washer on the concrete. You can take the top finish layer off of the concrete with one if you don't know what you're doing with a power washer. The same acid wash brush and solution will also clean the concrete up pretty quick.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:44 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm cheap, and I do use a pressure washer and sometimes bleach, but Olympic makes some deck and house washes that are much better, easy to use, and well worth the money. Different types of bleaches work a bit differently, and chlorine bleach is not the best for this type of work. I do the rinse off of the product with a pressure washer at about twice or three times the normal working distance.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Pressure washing with bleach will take care of the mess you have right now.

But you have a lot of rot issues also- so.....

To eliminate these issues in the future- YOU NEED GUTTERS!!!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Pressure washing with bleach will take care of the mess you have right now.

But you have a lot of rot issues also- so.....

To eliminate these issues in the future- YOU NEED GUTTERS!!!
Yes, that is my plan to have gutters installed once i clean it and replace the rotted trimming. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:57 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You've got some serious issues besides mildew. The windows are leaking and the trim has already gone to rot. The trim needs to be removed, the flashing, if any, needs attention and the trim replaced. The brick, unless you intend to point up the mortar you need to stay away from a power washer. The mortar is going to be a lot softer than the brick and I can assure you that it will be damaged. An acid wash brush on a stick with a detergent like Dawn and bleach will remove the crud from the brick. I would also suggest caution using a power washer on the concrete. You can take the top finish layer off of the concrete with one if you don't know what you're doing with a power washer. The same acid wash brush and solution will also clean the concrete up pretty quick.

??

Power washing properly isn't going to remove the mortar from the brick. Possibly if the mortar job was subpar in the first place, or if you have a very high pressure industrial PW cranked up to 4k psiand use a 0 degree tip maybe, but if you use it properly it will do no more harm than a brush. I've been washing my brick for 10 years this way and have never had poor results. I also wash my driveway twice per season with it. I turn my pressure regulator down to about 2000 psi and go at it. Should be fine.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Here is the best formula for house/roof washing

5 Gal.

1.5 gallons of sodium hypochlorite (liquid pool shock has 12.5% regular Clorox is 5%)
3.25 gallons of water
10 oz. of TSP (trisodium phosphate get it at the hardware store)
10 oz. of Borax
2 oz. Lemon Joy or Gain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House