Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:27 AM

712 posts, read 841,640 times

Advertisements

A modern (R410a refrigerant) Inverter Mini-Split Heat Pump, 16seer +, will be hands-down most efficient way to heat (& Cool) an area (with temps down to 20degrees F outside) ;

IF you live in cool-climate area, opt for a Toshiba Inverter model that includes SUPERHEAT function - will provide sufficient heating down to 0-degrees F outside!

R410a heatpumps can deliver up to 4 units of heat for 1 unit of electricity - (ALL resistance electric heaters are only 1-1) - making them WAY cheaper to run than propane.

Efficient (16seer +) R410 heatpumps don't have the OLD 'doesnt work when its really cold outside' issue that old outdated r22 heatpumps did . . . ..

Last edited by oldoak2000; 11-14-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 10:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
My boss used to use one of those plug in oil radiator type heaters in his office which worked quite nicely.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/15162311?...744517&veh=sem

Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Post As previously mentioned, all resistive electric space heaters are equal, there's nothing special about oil-filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am with MikeBear and LifeisGood01. I found the oil filled radiator style provided the most heat for the buck.
For a 360 square foot bedroom, I expect OP will need something with a fan to distribute the heat evenly. All electric resistive heaters are equally efficient, the same (high) cost in $ per delivered BTU.

If you want to save money, instead of heating the whole room, just heat the bed -- electric blankets and mattress pads have the advantage of delivering heat directly to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This one is easy- (DuraFlame Log)
I wanted to snark about the cost per BTU for Duraflame logs, but from what little I can find out about these fake firelogs, Duraflame might actually be a pretty good deal financially, once you get past the "burning crayon" smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't know how those work, but anything with a flame and gas is not something that I would want in my home. I'm glad we don't even have gas lines in my neighborhood. I've gotten use to electric stoves and I find the ovens to be more even heating that the gas ovens.
The direct-vent wall furnaces are about as safe as you can get -- all the gas and fire components are sealed in a combustion chamber that is only connected to the outside, and shutdown automatically if anything isn't right.

I suspect portable electric space heaters (including oil-filled) pose much more risk than a properly maintained gas wall furnace.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Funny, I always thought the ceramic disk heaters were more efficient. Apparently not.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I am with MikeBear and LifeisGood01. I found the oil filled radiator style provided the most heat for the buck.
There is no most heat for your buck, all electric heaters produce the same amount of heat per kWh. That said an oil filled heater is slow to heat up and slow to cool. Many people may find it to be more comfortable, especially when the room has been brought up to the desired temperature. It's much more steady than the on/off heat you will get with something like a ceramic heater that has a fan. Similarly most people find hot water baseboard radiators more comfortable than ducted heating. At the end of the day to maintain the same average room temperature it's going to cost you the same amount of money no matter what type of electric heater you buy.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, I always thought the ceramic disk heaters were more efficient. Apparently not.
The advantage with them is they heat a large volume of air consistently which leads to better distribution. An old electric heater with elements and a fan does not have the same consistency. The temperature of hot air coming out may be all over the charts depending on where it exited the unit.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is no most heat for your buck, all electric heaters produce the same amount of heat per kWh. That said an oil filled heater is slow to heat up and slow to cool. Many people may find it to be more comfortable, especially when the room has been brought up to the desired temperature. It's much more steady than the on/off heat you will get with something like a ceramic heater that has a fan. Similarly most people find hot water baseboard radiators more comfortable than ducted heating. At the end of the day to maintain the same average room temperature it's going to cost you the same amount of money no matter what type of electric heater you buy.
but with an oil filled radiator you don't have to heat the whole house at the same time, you can just put it a few feet from the bed since they have a huge bedroom and heat only that area. I just bought one with 7 fins at Walmart for $35.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This one is easy-
They do make other products like that which should be cheaper and can be bought in bulk, basically a giant pellet and the pricing would be similar.

Envi Blocks - The Friendly Firewood - at Barefoot Pellet Company - Troy PA.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
but with an oil filled radiator you don't have to heat the whole house at the same time, you can just put it a few feet from the bed since they have a huge bedroom and heat only that area.
Yes you can do that and is one thing that *may* save on your heating bills. If your primary heating source is electric savings can be substantial but I would suggest installing a thermostat in each room instead. If your primary heat source is low cost per BTU your savings are not that much. Depends on your local rates but generally speaking compared to coal, wood or natural gas you can heat 3 or 4 times the space it costs for the electric heater.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet - what about an electric blanket on the bed? At least for sleeping times, this is way more cost-effective than a portable resistance heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House