Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

my cousin lived in a townhouse in manitee county in florida, he was told the window coverings had to be white.

to me, that is going overboard.

not everyone wants white shades, blinds or curtains.

its rules like that, that make us non-hoa's really hate them.

I agree with keeping the outside nice and presentable, but when you are told how many trees, flowers, type of lawn decor or whatever, that is a bit much in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
my cousin lived in a townhouse in manitee county in florida, he was told the window coverings had to be white.

I agree with keeping the outside nice and presentable, but when you are told how many trees, flowers, type of lawn decor or whatever, that is a bit much in my mind.
So they control what you do on the inside of your house.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
My mother-in-law lived in an HOA that banned pets of any kind. She had HOA members show up and search her home because someone claimed she had a cat. She did not. It was legal. She sold and moved within the year.

When You Must Allow an HOA Representative to Enter Your Unit | Nolo.com

Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Basically what is visible from the outside of the house. We lived in an HOA townhouse where we could have any color drapes, they HAD to show white from the outside looking in.

All windows had to have those window mullions.

Half the time we would get letters for something and the person walking around couldn't get the dang house right. It was usually the end unit that incurred the wrath. We were right next to him.

It was that HOA that soured me on that business model. It was pretty petty stuff too. A decorative planter with flowers....violation. Wasn't ours but we got to see those letters.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
We have an excellent HOA in a gated neighborhood. I like the rules and I like them enforced. Choosing is simple. If you do not want one, then do not buy into one. I have lived in both situations and have seen crappy yards, junked cars, obnoxious dogs running loose etc. No thanks. Too old to mess with such nonsense. It is not about freedom except to be free of slobs and people who refuse to maintain their property thus dragging down their neighbor's values. I always oppose these stories where some old guy puts up a flagpole or something against the rules and everyone thinks they are heroes etc. I see them as lousy neighbors. I am a two war vet so you can hold back on the poor vet stuff.
I noticed that you live in AZ.

Just so you know, an HOA in Arizona cannot prevent you from putting up a flagpole or flying certain flags.

See ARS 33-1808. Flag display; political signs; caution signs; for sale, rent or lease signs; political activities.

As I pointed out in a previous post, state laws do restrict the ability of HOA to regulate homeowners in a number of areas.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:40 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Requiring white shades is the most restrictive rule for my high rise condo association. To be honest, it doesn't bother me, though I could see how it would bother others.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Basically what is visible from the outside of the house. We lived in an HOA townhouse where we could have any color drapes, they HAD to show white from the outside looking in.

All windows had to have those window mullions.

Half the time we would get letters for something and the person walking around couldn't get the dang house right. It was usually the end unit that incurred the wrath. We were right next to him.

It was that HOA that soured me on that business model. It was pretty petty stuff too. A decorative planter with flowers....violation. Wasn't ours but we got to see those letters.
Same here, the curtains or blinds that face the outside have to be white. BUT, the person who painted their interior in bright saturated colors, and then opened her curtains to let the natural light in got all the tongues wagging....and they weren't happy when the HOA said...well, when her blinds are shut, the blinds are white, so...pretty much you need to stop peering into other people's units. People are allowed to open their curtains.

Oh, the sqwaking that day!!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 12:51 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My mother-in-law lived in an HOA that banned pets of any kind. She had HOA members show up and search her home because someone claimed she had a cat. She did not. It was legal. She sold and moved within the year.

When You Must Allow an HOA Representative to Enter Your Unit | Nolo.com
That's crazy, I would not let them search my house, they can call the cops and the Pope, but no way.

They can't barge in, so I would not let them in and make plans to sell ASAP.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Changes in an HOA can be a pain too. My wife had a client with 2 cats and had for years (she bought a townhouse in a HOA when it was brand new) She was on the HOA board or whatever they called it. One time when she was traveling during the meeting a small group set out and created a new rule limiting each unit to 1 pet less then 25lbs. With no grandfathering. Luckily the rule was directed at someone else, but she lived in fear of them finding out she had 2. Then a year later a new group of homeowners moved in and overruled the rule again (with her vote helping).

That kind of constant change would drive me nuts.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:25 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
http://cairf.org/foundationstatsbrochure.pdf

BTW, try and use some common sense. There are millions of people who live in an HOA throughout the country. You think that if millions of people out there hated their HOA that changes would be made. As I stated without needing cold hard facts, majority of people are perfectly ok living in an HOA.
I think the people publishing this brochure have "a dog in the fight" - so I doubt it's objective - but thanks for posting it up anyway.

Perhaps you are right, maybe most of the people value what an HOA does - and of course like anything else, the stories are about really bad HOAs - but still I would never have anything to do with one. I prefer to live where my neighbors and I are far enough apart to not bother each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House