Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, and only two dogs per yard. .
So you can have 10 inside dogs as long as you only let 2 out?, or can you let them all out 2 at a time.

See to me that is restrictive. I have 2 small dogs. They are mainly inside dogs and I only let them out to use the bathroom or spend some outside time, but I always watch them from the kitchen when they are out there. If I own my home and I want to rent a room out to a person with a dog I would not be able to if I was part of that HOA. If a friend died I wouldn't be able to take her 2 dogs, and would have to send them to the pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Seems to me that the HOA vs no HOA groups separate themselfs:

1. Pro-HOA : Favor order, rules, controls on neighbors. "Make those neighbors behave."

2. Anti-HOA: Favor personal freedom above all; "it's my land, nobody can tell me what to do."

You choose.
These aren't the only choices.

There are also:

3. Pro-HOA: I want a house in a neighborhood that has common areas, a pool/golf course/lakes/walking trails/tennis courts/club house/fill in the blank and I don't mind paying an HOA in order to enjoy those amenities.

4. Anti-HOA: I want to park my RV/18-wheeler/school bus on the street in front of my house, or keep 7 pit bulls in the back yard, or build a geodesic dome home, or move my daughter and her three kids into a single wide in the back yard, or leave a freezer out on the front porch, or fill in the blank, or all of the above, and I don't want any stupid HOA telling me I can't do it.

I choose Option #3, and sincerely hope that anyone who wants to put a single wide in their back yard chooses Option #4.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you don't like having a horse trailer parked in front of your house, or a car jacked up on blocks, or an old rusted out car with vines growing all over it parked on a front lawn

If you are living in this kind of a neighborhood, then you need to pick different neighborhoods. I've lived in many houses in my life and have never seen anything like that.

Choose a town that has regulations that you agree with and live there. If someone wanted a horse trailer they would live out in the country where that sort of thing is allowed. If they wanted to have a car in their front yard, they would live way out in the middle of nowhere. In the middle of nowhere there is no neighbor to see it.

I don't know where people are living that they see this sort of thing. I would never have an HOA telling me what to do, not in a million years. From the stories on here, some can tell you what color to paint your house, what color shutters you can have, even what kind of flowers. Well, maybe I want to paint my house light blue. Maybe I want natural cedar shakes. Or I want the house to be white with black shutters. That's my choice based upon what colors I like and what type of house it is, among other things.

The worst I've ever seen was when the house across the street was brick red with black shutters and in the spring they had bright pink rhododendrons. Oh dear. It clashed. Actually, the red and pink clashed for about a week--would an HOA make them repaint their house? Or would they have to take out the pink rhododendrons? The owners liked their brick red house with black shutters and that was their right to have it.

Now if someone is having loud parties--we had a neighbor when I was a kid who had a sweet sixteen party but everybody put up with it since the kid was only going to be 16 once--but if it's ongoing, you just call the town. They'll enforce the rule.

That's why you choose your type of town and you elect good town officials. No micromanaging, nosey HOA types going around trying to find things wrong. In a decent town most people get along fine without HOAs.
But see, there are so many different types of HOAs. For instance, in our neighborhood, the HOA wouldn't give a flying fig what color the flowers in the front yard are. It doesn't mandate or concern itself with the color of one's shutters.

And many cities or municipalities don't have any sort of laws regarding parking on the street, or whether or not you have an RV parked beside your house, or what size of home you build on a particular lot, etc.

There's a reason HOAs are so common - and popular. But of course if you don't want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA, go live somewhere else. Everybody wins.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Once again.....the pro HOA folks rely on the old stand by of "cars up on blocks" please come up with something original.......oh wait. You live in HOAs......originality is a fine....my bad!

How many more times do I have to post specific rules that our HOA has that have nothing to do with "cars up on blocks" - rules which make that HOA neighborhood more attractive to me, and apparently to lots of other folks, since the average time on the market in our neighborhood is about 2 weeks.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Unless your property is part of a condominium, the amenities are owned by the POA corporation and NOT the residents collectively. This is a common misunderstanding that owners of HOA-burdened property have. The maintenance issue could have been addressed without imposing an involuntary membership corporation. The primary purpose of such a corporation is to disenfranchise you and to shift liabilities to you, not to help you or protect you.
Oh my - now I'm mad. I'm mad that the HOA in our neighborhood "forces" the homeowners to keep up the common areas that are such a pleasure and one of the reasons we all bought in this neighborhood. That $125 a year is just about killing me.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
These aren't the only choices.

There are also:

3. Pro-HOA: I want a house in a neighborhood that has common areas, a pool/golf course/lakes/walking trails/tennis courts/club house/fill in the blank and I don't mind paying an HOA in order to enjoy those amenities.

4. Anti-HOA: I want to park my RV/18-wheeler/school bus on the street in front of my house, or keep 7 pit bulls in the back yard, or build a geodesic dome home, or move my daughter and her three kids into a single wide in the back yard, or leave a freezer out on the front porch, or fill in the blank, or all of the above, and I don't want any stupid HOA telling me I can't do it.

I choose Option #3, and sincerely hope that anyone who wants to put a single wide in their back yard chooses Option #4.
I Choose 4.
3 can get your house taken away via a lien by the HOA and they will own it.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Nope I would not own a home with a HOA. I prefer my country life where we can do whatever we want. Shoot guns off the back deck, ride 4 wheelers all night, let my dogs out all day and if they bark no one complains, let fireworks off any day of the year. I wouldn't trade any of that to live in a cookie cutter house in a neighborhood.
I don't live in a "cookie cutter house" but I do live in a neighborhood with 1/2 acre lots. That's my preference, having lived in the country several times in my life and dealt with issues that I choose not to deal with at this stage in my life (starting with the upkeep of 20 acres and ending with the neighbors chow coming onto my property and literally fighting to the death with my dog - the chow lost but it was still pretty traumatic).

Since I LIKE living in a neighborhood with spacious lots which are all uniformly between 1/2 and 1 acre, I don't want my neighbors shooting guns off the back deck, or riding four wheelers through the park across from my house. And don't even get me started on the dog issue. I'm a dog lover myself but I like the limitations our HOA puts on dog ownership and dog behavior. (Two dogs max per family, people must pick up their dogs' waste and dispose of it if their dog poops in someone else's yard as the owner walks the dog on a leash, that sort of thing).

I also don't want to live across the road from a trailer - and maybe that trailer wasn't there when we moved in but someone moved it in afterwards -or heck, maybe they move in 20 trailers and start a trailer park up, or a chicken farm, or a dump for that matter. I don't want the responsibility of keeping up fencing around 20 acres, or even five acres. I don't mind paying $185 a year to be a member of our local shooting range that's five minutes from my house, rather than just wandering out on the back porch and shooting into the woods.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I don't live in a "cookie cutter house" but I do live in a neighborhood with 1/2 acre lots. That's my preference, having lived in the country several times in my life and dealt with issues that I choose not to deal with at this stage in my life (starting with the upkeep of 20 acres and ending with the neighbors chow coming onto my property and literally fighting to the death with my dog - the chow lost but it was still pretty traumatic).

Since I LIKE living in a neighborhood with spacious lots which are all uniformly between 1/2 and 1 acre, I don't want my neighbors shooting guns off the back deck, or riding four wheelers through the park across from my house. And don't even get me started on the dog issue. I'm a dog lover myself but I like the limitations our HOA puts on dog ownership and dog behavior. (Two dogs max per family, people must pick up their dogs' waste and dispose of it if their dog poops in someone else's yard as the owner walks the dog on a leash, that sort of thing).

I also don't want to live across the road from a trailer - and maybe that trailer wasn't there when we moved in but someone moved it in afterwards -or heck, maybe they move in 20 trailers and start a trailer park up, or a chicken farm, or a dump for that matter. I don't want the responsibility of keeping up fencing around 20 acres, or even five acres. I don't mind paying $185 a year to be a member of our local shooting range that's five minutes from my house, rather than just wandering out on the back porch and shooting into the woods.
So if you like your HOA why are you so defensive that other people don't like it and don't care if there are trailers or chicken coops or guns being shot in 20 acres?

Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
So you can have 10 inside dogs as long as you only let 2 out?, or can you let them all out 2 at a time.

See to me that is restrictive. I have 2 small dogs. They are mainly inside dogs and I only let them out to use the bathroom or spend some outside time, but I always watch them from the kitchen when they are out there. If I own my home and I want to rent a room out to a person with a dog I would not be able to if I was part of that HOA. If a friend died I wouldn't be able to take her 2 dogs, and would have to send them to the pound.
No, two dogs per family. And it means "two dogs PERMANENTLY," not that you couldn't have guests that bring their dogs.

No one is going around looking inside peoples' windows or homes. I'm pretty sure that some neighbors may have 3 or 4 dogs, who knows, but the point is, that if they became a nuisance, or if someone decided to run a puppy mill out of their back yard, the HOA could step in.

The residents of the neighborhood WANT this restriction in place. But look, if you don't want it, don't buy into this neighborhood. It's not that difficult to figure out.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I Choose 4.
3 can get your house taken away via a lien by the HOA and they will own it.
Not in our neighborhood.

We live in a nice, upper middle class neighborhood - not a luxury neighborhood, and not a condo neighborhood. Most homes are about $100,000 to $150,000 above the local medial price range, but not $200,000 or more above the local median price range. In our small bedroom community outside a larger city, we have probably seven neighborhoods with homes of varying values. Our neighborhood is the probably ranked 2nd in terms of luxury or price average. Four of the seven neighborhoods locally have HOAs, including one of the two "lake neighborhoods." The "lake neighborhood" with the HOA has nice homes, and a low crime rate. The one without the HOA has junk homes and a high crime rate. Our neighborhood isn't even gated but it has a super low crime rate. For example, one time my husband and I went on vacation and not only did we forget to set our alarm, we actually left the FRONT door unlocked (I know - goobers). Of course, nothing happened while we were gone for a week. We didn't even realize we'd done this till we got back a week later.

You don't seem to understand that not all HOAs are onerous or out of control or overly controlling. I happen to know that out of our neighborhood of about 150 homes, there are four homeowners who simply don't ever pay their dues. Ever. They are YEARS behind. I don't know which homes they are, but I do know that two of them are elderly folks. Anyway, while the HOA has put a lien against their properties, they will never foreclose on their properties. All this means is that when that property is sold, the HOA will get those years of unpaid dues, as well as the small cost of placing the lien (no big attorney fees in other words). This will probably come to the whopping total of under $2000 - and frankly I don't have a problem with that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House