Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that has an HOA
Yes 166 40.99%
No 239 59.01%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Never heard that, do you know the plural of attorney general?
Yes.... "attorneys general" although it would probably be cast as "Attorneys General"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 03:17 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I Choose 4.
3 can get your house taken away via a lien by the HOA and they will own it.
Why would anyone want to buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA that has rules that they disagree with, and then proceed to deliberately break the rules of the HOA, and THEN complain that the HOA is harassing them?

That's the only way I can see a person getting their house taken away by the HOA.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

#4 does not happen. It's against the law! You do not need an HOA to enforce things like this because the town you LIVE in is in charge of enforcing the laws, not some snoopy HOA. No one is allowed to park out on the street in most towns. People park in driveways. But if you have a party with lots of guests, neighbors will understand that, obviously, cars will be parked on the street for a few hours. For a family reunion or a cookout, for instance. If your party becomes loud and goes on into the night, the neighbors might call the police to enforce the law. The police would come over and tell you to be quiet. But that very rarely happens because people know how to live in a neighborhood.

No one would ever put a freezer out on their front porch. Who ever heard of that? You can't park a school bus or an 18 wheeler out in front of your house --and no one would do that anyway. Once I did live in a town that had more lax rules and there was someone who did park a school bus in his driveway. I didn't like the way it looked very much but after all, I had chosen to live in that town and I could have looked up the laws before I bought the house if I had cared to. There are very few towns that allow trailers at all unless they are in a park, probably because it would look ugly and would be out of place among houses. Most people know how to live but the laws are there just in case.

But that's why we don't need HOAs. 1. People are civilized enough to never do those things anyway. 2. If some idiot did try something, you call the police (immediate complaints like noise after a certain hour) or report it to the appropriate town department (if someone bought a house and started to add an addition without getting a permit. Or if someone moves out and abandons a house and it becomes unsafe and needs to be condemned, for instance.) I've never seen the problems that you are talking about.
I do not know WHAT world you live in!

Old 11-30-2016, 04:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
You don't need a passport to travel within the U.S. so what is your beef? You aren't a prisoner.

Sure they will restrict travel out of the country - but you aren't free to travel there anyway because your ability to travel in those other countries is also at the whim of the other countries.

In any event an HOA corporation is not a governmental body - it is a private corporation.
If the US govt takes your passport that does make you a prisoner of the USA, you cant leave. And nations that would otherwise let you in now wont because the USA revoked your passport. Only on very rare occasions can someone travel without a passport and its usually only if you have a special relationship with the other nations leadership and you can get them to issue you a passport from that other nation.

Snowden is the only person I can think of that was able to leave without a US passport and acquire a new Russian passport. But that's not normal so in 99.99999% of cases you do become a prisoner.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
OH HELL NO !! — Wife of deployed Marine ordered to remove U.S. flag by HOA | Angry American Army

Just one more reason to NOT buy (or rent) where there is a HOA!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
More nonsense. She is putting a flag up in the common area. The HOA has a problem with that. Generally it bans all stuff from the common area. So they ignore her or even say it is OK. Here comes the ISIS flag or the KKK next door. What is the HOA response?

She can put the flag in her window...

We had the guy local who wanted a 50 foot pole and a huge flag. The neighbors pointed it that it would be noisy on any windy day. He lost as he should have.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Why would anyone want to buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA that has rules that they disagree with, and then proceed to deliberately break the rules of the HOA, and THEN complain that the HOA is harassing them?

That's the only way I can see a person getting their house taken away by the HOA.
Or the HOA board changes and enacts new rules that were not in the by laws when the owner bought the house. That would make a disagreeable owner would it not?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Or the HOA board changes and enacts new rules that were not in the by laws when the owner bought the house. That would make a disagreeable owner would it not?
Under most circumstances it cannot be done. If for instance you wish to change the rental rules and get a majority vote for it...you still have to grandfather the existing owners. Only owners after the new rule are bound by it.

This again is likely state law but that is how it works here.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Under most circumstances it cannot be done. If for instance you wish to change the rental rules and get a majority vote for it...you still have to grandfather the existing owners. Only owners after the new rule are bound by it.

This again is likely state law but that is how it works here.
Which is great for you, but then when you want to sell the new owner has to follow all the new rules put in, so it may make it harder for you to find a buyer.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
More nonsense. She is putting a flag up in the common area. The HOA has a problem with that. Generally it bans all stuff from the common area. So they ignore her or even say it is OK. Here comes the ISIS flag or the KKK next door. What is the HOA response?

She can put the flag in her window...

We had the guy local who wanted a 50 foot pole and a huge flag. The neighbors pointed it that it would be noisy on any windy day. He lost as he should have.
The bottom line is, you will never change my mind about HOAs, and I will never change your mind.
I am very happy living without one, and you seem to think having one is an absolute necessity.
As the saying goes, "never the twain shall meet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House