Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Thanks all, my husband pushed the top one up hard and was able to push the lower one down and latch it and the seal is now working. These are double pane but crappy Windows. We aren't opening them again until we are ready to replace them. I really appreciate all of the help. Much warmer here tonight.
Glad you got it figured out

I wouldn't go writing the windows off though. What you need to do is either get a window guy out to do a tune up service or get the instructions on the service from the manufacturer and DIY. It's really not hard. Remember windows are pretty neglected by everyone until they stop working. You would be amazed what some window specific spray lube like silicone spray lube will do for the windows (DONT USE WD40 it attracts dirt) . Retightening all the keepers and latches, taking out the springs or having access to sides of the tilt/double hung and lubing them and the tracks will do wonders. Windows are expensive. Double hung windows are even more expensive. Don't be so quick to blow money needlessly. You may get away with just servicing them rather than replacement. $20 in materials beats 10,000 in window replacement.
Maintaining the windows should be a yearly thing. I bet 99% of homeowners never think of that maintenance until the window stops working
How to Lubricate Vinyl Windows | Home Guides | SF Gate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Glad you got it figured out

I wouldn't go writing the windows off though. What you need to do is either get a window guy out to do a tune up service or get the instructions on the service from the manufacturer and DIY. It's really not hard. Remember windows are pretty neglected by everyone until they stop working. You would be amazed what some window specific spray lube like silicone spray lube will do for the windows (DONT USE WD40 it attracts dirt) . Retightening all the keepers and latches, taking out the springs or having access to sides of the tilt/double hung and lubing them and the tracks will do wonders. Windows are expensive. Double hung windows are even more expensive. Don't be so quick to blow money needlessly. You may get away with just servicing them rather than replacement. $20 in materials beats 10,000 in window replacement.
Maintaining the windows should be a yearly thing. I bet 99% of homeowners never think of that maintenance until the window stops working
How to Lubricate Vinyl Windows | Home Guides | SF Gate

Thanks for the tips! I should make it a part of my spring cleaning schedule

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 850 times
Electrician4you coming in with the big window plays! Sash wasn't grabbing correctly on our living room window (freezing us out) - I gave the it the business all the way up and down again, pushed it back into the frame slightly, and it locked up good and tight. You're a gentleman and a scholar for giving such an exhaustive pool of solutions, thank you sir.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letuslettuce View Post
Electrician4you coming in with the big window plays! Sash wasn't grabbing correctly on our living room window (freezing us out) - I gave the it the business all the way up and down again, pushed it back into the frame slightly, and it locked up good and tight. You're a gentleman and a scholar for giving such an exhaustive pool of solutions, thank you sir.
Sure. Glad I could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House