Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 04:34 AM

730 posts, read 768,632 times

Advertisements

we have a window that slides up and down in our master bedroom that will not latch closed. I thought it was closed and locked last time I shut it probably a month ago but obviously I just pushed it down but couldn't latch it shut. I didn't think about it until last night when I woke up freezing as it got down to 10 degrees here. Cold air is seeping in from the bottom where the seal isn't engaged because I can't get the thing locked. Hubby tried it and the bottom part of the Window would not lock with the top and it started bowing out so I told him to stop.

Is there a way to fix this or is the window shot? They are double pane, vinyl Windows that are I'm sure builder grade.

Thanks for the help. I'm freezing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Temporarily I would put some weather stripping in the open area, if it's a crack, and then cover the whole window with plastic sheeting from the inside and out too if you can. The fact that the top is bowing out seems like it has a defect and may need to be replaced. Call a handyman if you think it can be repaired or closed for the winter or fixed. It it's just the latch that's broken it shouldn't be a hard fix. Otherwise I would cut a stick or piece of wood to size and prop it from the window top to the top of the window enclosure, forcing the window to stay down.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times
Sounds like the upper sash is not seated correctly. Open the lower sash fully. Then give a good push up on the upper sash. Now see if the lower sash will engage the lock.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:10 AM

Ok we will try that. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:32 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Pictures would help. Settling can cause problems like you describe. LIcenter's response sound like physically rebooting your Windows. That often can help, especially if you use a good boot and kick hard enough.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
your frame is bowing inwards. Look and see if there are screws in the inside of the frame. If there are they are retrofit windows. Have your hubby hit the screws with a impact with a Phillips head.
If not
Measure the window frame to see where it's bowing inwards.
You might be able to whack it with a rubber mallet to get the frame to bow back out. The windows are most likely builder grade and are warping due to the cold.
You can buy a cheap hydraulic ram with foot pads and slightly spread the frame to get it back straight. And when I say slightly I mean slightly. I see door guys straightening metal door frames in commercial buildings that way.

You could also have a bad spring or the mechanism could be bad. Awindiw guy should be able to replace the mechanism and get the window fixed.

Are these single hung or double hung?
Make sure the upper is fully seated if double hung. I would still get a window guy out.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
your frame is bowing inwards. Look and see if there are screws in the inside of the frame. If there are they are retrofit windows. Have your hubby hit the screws with a impact with a Phillips head.
If not
Measure the window frame to see where it's bowing inwards.
You might be able to whack it with a rubber mallet to get the frame to bow back out. The windows are most likely builder grade and are warping due to the cold.
You can buy a cheap hydraulic ram with foot pads and slightly spread the frame to get it back straight. And when I say slightly I mean slightly. I see door guys straightening metal door frames in commercial buildings that way.

You could also have a bad spring or the mechanism could be bad. Awindiw guy should be able to replace the mechanism and get the window fixed.

Are these single hung or double hung?
Make sure the upper is fully seated if double hung. I would still get a window guy out.
I'm not sure how the frame could be "bowing in" due to the cold. Vinyl contracts when it gets. Old and expands when it gets warm. Contracting vinyl will be shorter and will not be bowing in.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I'm not sure how the frame could be "bowing in" due to the cold. Vinyl contracts when it gets. Old and expands when it gets warm. Contracting vinyl will be shorter and will not be bowing in.
Could be a mix of cold, old windows and a few other things. Bowing used to be called brick binding. I'm not sure of the terms used now. I worked in tract housing, I've seen windows bow out and twist when they get full sun exposure.

Assuming the window is a double hung the windows have a groove one facing in one facing out that both windows overlap to make a complete seal when closed. If that set of overlapping grooves are not meeting and interlocking it prevents the window from closing
OP may just need to push the top the window where the latch is to get everything lined up
Could be a broken spring
Could be the lock and keeper aren't aligned right.
Could be that OP need to push the upper window all the way to lock it in place.
Maybe the vent clips broke and are preventing the window from closing.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Thanks all, my husband pushed the top one up hard and was able to push the lower one down and latch it and the seal is now working. These are double pane but crappy Windows. We aren't opening them again until we are ready to replace them. I really appreciate all of the help. Much warmer here tonight.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:56 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Thanks all, my husband pushed the top one up hard and was able to push the lower one down and latch it and the seal is now working. These are double pane but crappy Windows. We aren't opening them again until we are ready to replace them. I really appreciate all of the help. Much warmer here tonight.

Yay!! Glad you got if shut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House