Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Absolutely! I really don't get why some are so against HOA fees that they go out of their way to tell those who are paying the fees that they are wasting money or not making a "wise" investment. If you don't think HOA fees are a worthwhile investment for you, that's great. But the passing judgment on others is a bit bizarre.
Honestly - it is bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What I'm saying is that I bet you spend $10.42 a month (or more) on items and things I wouldn't spend that money on - and that's OK. Not my problem!

Meanwhile, for $10.42 cents a month, a beautiful park area right across the street from my house is maintained to perfection and I love the view. I also love the beautiful landscaping around the entrances into our neighborhood. These areas don't landscape and maintain themselves.
You are also paying for threats of fines if you don't jump to do what they tell you they don't like in your property such as painting your door a different color or repainting your garage door or the house or repaving your driveway or putting in landscaping or removing what you have. You are at their mercy, and it's not a problem until it becomes one.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You are also paying for threats of fines if you don't jump to do what they tell you they don't like in your property such as painting your door a different color or repainting your garage door or the house or repaving your driveway or putting in landscaping or removing what you have. You are at their mercy, and it's not a problem until it becomes one.
LOL ironic you would mention all of the above as related to fines.

Since we've moved in we have:

1. Painted our front door a rich peacock blue - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

2. Repainted the entire house, most of it in a different color than the original (originally even the siding was white along with the trim -we painted the siding a buff color and the trim white) - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

3. Repaved and expanded our driveway - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

4. Removed tons of bushes from in front of the house - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

5. Cut down numerous trees from the yard (I couldn't believe how many horrible Bartlett pear trees were in our yard) - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

We've also:

1. Removed a pre existing storage building and added a larger, nicer one. No HOA pre approval required as long as the storage building conforms to HOA rules - which mandates building type and materials. Ours conforms and looks great.

2. Expanded our outdoor living area space to include a pergola, hot tub, and fire pit. No HOA pre approval required. Love it.

3. Replaced and expanded the fence - no HOA pre approval required as long as the fence conforms to HOA rules - which mandates material and style. Ours conforms and looks great.

4. Remodeled the kitchen and other main areas of the house. No HOA pre approval required. Love it.

All HOAs are not the same, as I and others have pointed out repeatedly on this thread (and others). Ours is not an invasive sort and never has been, and the dues are almost ridiculously low for the services they provide.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
LOL ironic you would mention all of the above as related to fines.

Since we've moved in we have:

1. Painted our front door a rich peacock blue - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

2. Repainted the entire house, most of it in a different color than the original (originally even the siding was white along with the trim -we painted the siding a buff color and the trim white) - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

3. Repaved and expanded our driveway - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

4. Removed tons of bushes from in front of the house - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

5. Cut down numerous trees from the yard (I couldn't believe how many horrible Bartlett pear trees were in our yard) - no HOA pre approval required and no fines.

We've also:

1. Removed a pre existing storage building and added a larger, nicer one. No HOA pre approval required as long as the storage building conforms to HOA rules - which mandates building type and materials. Ours conforms and looks great.

2. Expanded our outdoor living area space to include a pergola, hot tub, and fire pit. No HOA pre approval required. Love it.

3. Replaced and expanded the fence - no HOA pre approval required as long as the fence conforms to HOA rules - which mandates material and style. Ours conforms and looks great.

4. Remodeled the kitchen and other main areas of the house. No HOA pre approval required. Love it.

All HOAs are not the same, as I and others have pointed out repeatedly on this thread (and others). Ours is not an invasive sort and never has been, and the dues are almost ridiculously low for the services they provide.
and I have a trip to Mars planned to leave in a week but I need HOA approval first.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
and I have a trip to Mars planned to leave in a week but I need HOA approval first.
Are you doubting what I said?

I don't know how many times people have to explain this to you - not all HOAs are the same. I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for most of the past 25 years and literally have never had a single issue, fine, etc. I've also never paid more than $125 a year in fees.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-02-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Are you doubting what I said?

I don't know how many times people have to explain this to you - not all HOAs are the same. I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for most of the past 25 years and literally have never had a single issue, fine, etc. I've also never paid more than $125 a year in fees.
And just becuase yours seems to be an inactive HOA that does less than a city would with it's ordinances and people able to call and report violations it does not mean you can dismiss all the awful ones.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
And just becuase yours seems to be an inactive HOA that does less than a city would with it's ordinances and people able to call and report violations it does not mean you can dismiss all the awful ones.
I haven't "dismissed all the awful ones." All I've discussed is the HOAs that I've personally been a part of.

And ours isn't "inactive." I am a block communicator and just delivered some information from our HOA to about 20 houses. The HOA maintains all the common areas. It organizes two neighborhood parties (with some sort of safety or first responder or whatever speakers) per year.

We had a recent flood issue that washed out a very popular bridge that belongs to the HOA and neighborhood and that is used a lot by walkers and bikers to get from one "side" of the neighborhood to the other. (We have several creeks running through our neighborhood.) So the HOA is raising money - WITHOUT RAISING FEES - to rebuild the bridge. So far, the money raising efforts are going well. We're about to have a neighborhood wide garage sale in March as well, to raise additional funds for the bridge.

And finally - we have bylaws and I guess people could call to report issues - but apparently we just have a lot of really good neighbors because I can't think of any residents who have significantly (or even insignificantly) broken any of the bylaws or restrictions. I love our neighborhood and our neighbors - very pleasant overall.

So, no - our HOA is not "inactive." It's just not obtrusive or meddling - or expensive.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:15 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
HOA's can be a nightmare.
One of the top 10 reasons that helped sway our decision NOT to move to Florida.
Seems liked everything we looked at was in an HOA of some sort.
I was in property management, a very large development so I had an idea o what we would be getting into with an HOA.

They are all very unique from being completely oppressive to the point you need to schedule what time of day you can take a dump, to barely existent where you pay a fee and wonder what the hell is done with it or where it goes.
You may live in a very unrestricted HOA but maybe your neighbor has nothing better to do than break balls and complain to the board about every move you make.
And then there is the board itself, which can be comprised of people who on the outside world are complete and total losers so they express their insecurities by being in a position of power by breaking everyone's balls for a feeling of power and an outlet for insecure mental issues.

The worst part, is you just don't know exactly what you are up against until you move in.
And by then, it's too late and you are screwed.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Wow, I guess I've just been incredibly lucky for the past 25 years of my life in about 5 HOA neighborhoods. Just really incredibly, incredibly lucky. I should go to the boats right now and try to ride this wave of luck!

Old 02-03-2017, 02:14 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
No, no, and NO!

Voluntary ones are fine and I could swallow $125 a year for basic upkeep, common areas, etc. I wouldn't choose it but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would I buy a home where there are fines, etc. involved.

We just bought a beautiful home in a beautiful, established neighborhood here in Knoxville and there's zero HOA....and my boat is going right on the side of my house. It won't be the prettiest sight (at least until a fence goes up), but if anyone has a problem with it, they can pay the $150/mo or so for me to dock my boat, or.....move where there's no HOA! I hate neighbors in general though; I'd rather never interact with a neighbor at all, not once, over having the best neighbor on earth in my face and business all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House