Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times

Advertisements

i'm not going to live anyplace that i have to kiss any ones ass!!! we have an hoa where i am and they forced people to decorate the outside of there houses with christmas lights and if they didn't they would be fined!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 PM

HOA's have long been taking advantage of the American people and their dream to own a home and make it their own to raise their families. HOA's have become dictators telling people when they can have friends over and what can be kept on their property. In these times where home sales are plummeting, homeowners are trying to do things to increase interest in their homes and an HOA is a turn off to new homebuyers. You may ask why? Because of all the rules. Such as you cannot keep your $250k motorhome or $35k boat in your own driveway. You have to put up a storage that has the same coloring as your home. People that buy expensive homes that are in an HOA are not keeping trash or broken down items in their yards. HOA's are just another way for more control over free Americans

Old 02-04-2017, 01:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
i'm not going to live anyplace that i have to kiss any ones ass!!! we have an hoa where i am and they forced people to decorate the outside of there houses with christmas lights and if they didn't they would be fined!!!
So why didn't you buy a home that wasn't in an HOA neighborhood?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-04-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So why didn't you guy a home that wasn't in an HOA neighborhood?
i don't live in an HOA neighborhood. what i am saying is that i have heard some damm good stories to make me not want to buy in one

Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
i don't live in an HOA neighborhood. what i am saying is that i have heard some damm good stories to make me not want to buy in one
OK sorry for the misunderstanding - you said there was an HOA "where you were" so it sounded like it was literally where you live.

Anyway, seems you've landed on the perfect solution - you don't like HOAs so you don't live in one.

Just for some perspective, not all - in fact, not MOST - HOAs require that owners decorate for the holidays.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
That's not ok. Not everyone celebrates Christmas or holidays.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's not ok. Not everyone celebrates Christmas or holidays.
Then people who don't celebrate those holidays shouldn't move into an HOA neighborhood with those restrictions/requirements

Just for the record, I wouldn't move into a neighborhood like that either because I don't want anyone mandating my holiday decorations or lack thereof.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
I don't believe that for a second.

plus you say we have an HOA and later you say you never lived in an HOA.

HOAs may limit what you can decorate with or how, but they can't force you to decorate, that's highly unconstitutional since you are violating people's religious rights to not decorate.

I'm not a fan of HOAs but I won't make ridiculous claims against them.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't believe that for a second.

plus you say we have an HOA and later you say you never lived in an HOA.

HOAs may limit what you can decorate with or how, but they can't force you to decorate, that's highly unconstitutional since you are violating people's religious rights to not decorate.

I'm not a fan of HOAs but I won't make ridiculous claims against them.
They probably said they could only use clear or white lights if decorating - I've heard of that before but I've never heard of anyone being forced to decorate for a holiday.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They probably said they could only use clear or white lights if decorating - I've heard of that before but I've never heard of anyone being forced to decorate for a holiday.
In one HOA we did not allow blinking lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House