Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 03:09 AM

857 posts, read 960,315 times

Advertisements

This exterior surface has been exposed to rain, sunlight, and the elements. I hope to have a quick way to stop the deterioration and protect it for the future. Something a layman like myself can do in a weekend.

Can I sand it down and apply a few coats of something? Will that achieve what I want to achieve?

How should this wood surface be repaired?-capture.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:53 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Personally, I would replace the door with a fiberglass or metal, wood look door, then work on the original door in my spare time....provided the wood is salvageable. Hard to tell the wood variety from the photo and if it is solid wood or veneer. If veneer, and if damaged, I would forget the restoration. If you are able to, I'd think about protecting the door with a larger porch/roof area.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 AM

749 posts, read 735,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
This exterior surface has been exposed to rain, sunlight, and the elements. I hope to have a quick way to stop the deterioration and protect it for the future. Something a layman like myself can do in a weekend.

Can I sand it down and apply a few coats of something? Will that achieve what I want to achieve?

Attachment 183361
Sorry to say it, but that door is beyond repair - at least the surface of it. It needs to be replaced. The splintered veneer cannot be repaired.

If you're going to do a "stop gap" measure of any kind, I'd remove it, lay it flat, and brush on several coats of polyurethane. That's not going to fix anything, or make it look much better, but it would give it a hard shell.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,099,642 times
The door is toast. As stated above, it's time for a new one. If it wasn't veneered you might have a shot, but seeing how it is, it's time to toss it.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Yup, that wood at the bottom is destroyed (the top veneer), and there is NO "easy, weekend replace" for that for most people. Someone experienced with that kind of work could Maybe get it done in a weekend.

Time for another door. If you opt for wood (I vastly prefer real wood over anything else for homes that have some curb appeal), the best coating I've found is Waterlox. It's designed for boats, they have a UV formula for high sun exposure and it can be "touched up" by simply doing a light sanding and applying another coat, not that my door looks any different after 3 years.

Steel and Fiberglass are more available, less maintenance but, well, they just don't have the same appearance/character/charm/etc...

Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
"How should this wood surface be repaired?"

With REPLACEMENT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House