Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 AM

10,583 posts, read 11,998,743 times

Advertisements

Just looking for a few price ranges, as to what to expect.
I'm in a high cost of living major metro area…
How much to do you think these INDIVIDUAL jobs should cost?

1) sand and repaint peeling paint on two spots of vinyl window frame and one window sill

2) replace window screens on four windows

3) stretch carpet in one room

4) replace a faucet (and MAYBE a toilet fill valve). The faucet is definitely getting switched out. But my plumber put in a toilet fill valve that was slightly too tall for the tank. I've lived with it for years, and solved the problem by just putting small peel-and-stick velvet pads under the corners of the tank top just to raise the top -- a quarter of an inch -- to keep the top from touching the top of the valve -- and that was enough to resolve the issue.

But I'm selling the house and I'm undecided about whether I should switch out something that may not even be noticed. There's no leak anywhere -- and I'm always hesitant that what's not leaking now could leak afterward, and I've created a problem that didn't exist. Can that valve TUBE be cut from the TOP, and the top of the valve be put back on. I really don't want the tank taken apart at the bottom of the valve.)

I'm NOT hiring one handyman service to do it all. I've got my go to carpet company and plumber -- and a new handyman I may give the painting job to (IF he ever calls me backL) but I was online and just thought I'd post here to get some idea of what others have paid for these kinds of small jobs.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
Your asking about items that need a quote based on particular challenges of "your" house. Every house is different. On top of that every part of the country has different pricing. Many of those items I could get a friend to do for a case of beer. In NYC it might cost you hundreds of dollars.

If you think your getting ripped off get multiple quotes, pick the best one. But keep in mind the jobs your asking for are soooo small, many people simply wont do the job, or charge you a higher than normal fee because if they didn't it wouldn't be worth their time.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Yes, I know…..As for the rate that's why I said I'm in a major metro high cost area.
I was hoping to get answers such as: "my plumber charges xx..xx -- or "a window place once charged me xx.xx to fix my screens." Or I had my carpet stretched and it cost me xx.xx….."
But it's all good. If they call me I guess I'll find out.

I only hire licensed people to work on my house. No jack-legs or friends.

I'd rather NOT hire a "Mr Handyman" type of service, but I have used them before for other things and was quite pleased with my local franchisee. So IF I have to I will. It's just that I'm selling the house and wanted to give some last jobs and money to my regular folks (in time for them to have extra holiday money, no less.) But I won't be able to wait for long. Some of this work is outside, and the WX is getting colder by the day/week.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:23 AM

No one was able to help and answer my question, but I'll answer it in hopes it helps someone else.
This is in the D.C. area….so a major metro and high cost of living area….

I was pleasantly surprised with these prices…..

-- Window screens replaced (putting new screen in the frame) -- 30.00 a window.
-- Replace spiral window balancers (in a window that won't stay up) -- 75.00 a window
-- Handyman service -- 125.00 an hour
-- Faucet swathed out, just replace old with new -- 200.00
No quote yet on installing GFCI outlet, replace regular outlet with GFCI.

The plumber's quote was the only one that was higher than I expected. I thought the window repairs would cost more, and the faucet install might be a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House