Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM

633 posts, read 581,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I think stainless steel appliances are hideous looking and every home i go into that has them their are smudges all over it. Plus "stainless steel" is thrown out like the word "heavy duty" is. The stainless steel is low quality and very thin gauge. Real stainless steel is found on commercial appliances not home owner grade. The stuff looks like plastic to me. And why would you want your kitchen to look like a hospital kitchen?

To me black appliances look awesome next to the right color cabinets.
Stainless is out of style. Slate gray no fingerprint is the new in style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Subzero makes cabinet depth fridges with pretty much any front you like. They are pricey though.

The picture is what I was referring to (only I would skip the icemaker).

Attachment 177972
That's gorgeous, and I agree, no through-the-door icemaker.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
My mother had two houses on Long Island in the 70's, one had a kitchen with the harvest gold appliances and one had the coffee color appliances. Of course she also had orange shag throughout the whole house. The 60's and 70's were a horrible time for interior decorating.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Subzero makes cabinet depth fridges with pretty much any front you like. They are pricey though.

The picture is what I was referring to (only I would skip the icemaker).

Attachment 177972
Even though I can afford a Sub Zero, I do not want to spend that kind of money on one. Uncle had one and the reliability was not up to its price. Consumer Reports seems to agree. Thanks , though. :-)

Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
i dont like how my magnets dont work on my stainless steel fridge.

isnt steel supposed to be made from iron (which has magnetic properties).

Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
I think stainless steel appliances are hideous looking and every home i go into that has them their are smudges all over it. Plus "stainless steel" is thrown out like the word "heavy duty" is. The stainless steel is low quality and very thin gauge. Real stainless steel is found on commercial appliances not home owner grade. The stuff looks like plastic to me. And why would you want your kitchen to look like a hospital kitchen?

Shrug. It's just personal preference. I personally like my stainless steel appliances very much. I had black appliances in my former house and really hated how they looked. Here, I have ivory cabinets, white countertops and dark gray floors. The stainless goes very well with that. White or black appliances would not look right with this color scheme (in addition to not being my preference). I don't have a problem with fingerprints either, but I don't have kids, so it's not a big deal for me to keep my stuff clean.

I have to laugh, though, at how almost combative some people are about their distaste for stainless steel. We see it time and again on this forum. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. But why put down people who want it? Makes no sense to me. I guess I am a stainless steel apologist.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,764 times
If you live in a coastal area, near salt water, the stainless steel appliances, will definitely pit, or rust as someone else stated. I personally thing it is not worth it for the price. I do like the new black, look, but those are even more pricey! For a designer look in a kitchen, I prefer white, then cover over with cabinet material doors.It gives the kitchen a uniform and cohesive flare.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

and to me black appliances look worse than stainless steel with all the smudges, finger prints and streaks from wiping off the appliance.
Black appliances looking awesome is thrown out like the words the current trend is........

See how easily one likes something and one dislikes something?

Old 11-28-2016, 06:58 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont like how my magnets dont work on my stainless steel fridge.

isnt steel supposed to be made from iron (which has magnetic properties).
Magnets work on our stainless steel fridge. They don't work on all SS appliances though - maybe something added to the exterior?

As for smudges - I use Pledge furniture polish on our fridge. I use it about once a week, or maybe once a month. Not very often. It cleans off any smudges, and keeps them gone for quite a while. Hard to believe, but it really works well!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
I think stainless steel appliances are hideous looking ...
Buy what you like...

I like my SS.

My parents liked their avocado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House