Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,097,926 times

Advertisements

I really should put the entire contents of my garage on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:11 PM

714 posts, read 715,150 times
I think you have to decide whether the purpose of your sale is to make money or get rid of stuff. The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. I had a yard sale after my husband died and yes, I was pissed off that I was selling brand new leather belts for a buck apiece and some guy wouldn't give me more than a quarter. But when guy offered me a buck apiece for brand new dress shirts still in the package and was excited at having nice shirts to send home to Guatemala, I was happy to sell him the whole box for 10 bucks (I was asking 1 buck each for 15 of them). Attitude has a lot to do with it. When I was getting rid of stuff to move, I just freecycled stuff. It was too much trouble to have another sale.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:32 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,097,926 times
People always expect that a garage sale will be 1/2 the price of the cheapest items on sale in a store. Its the way it is. If you want more then you have to sell on ebay. But then ebay is no longer for people like you and me, its just another box box store outlet.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:09 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,114,522 times
I'd rather pay someone to take it all to the dump or Salvation army than have a yard sale. You open yourself up to someone later that day or a few days later breaking into your house. A yard sale is just what a burglar needs to scope out your home and property ahead of time, no questions asked.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,820,194 times
Seriously, why don't people highball what they put out at a garage sale? So that way if they want say, $10 for a $50 picture, they price it at $20 and let the person talk them down to $10.

I love flea markets myself, but the one thing that keeps me from going to many of them is the fact that they really aren't flea markets anymore. I'm always on the lookout for that one small item I've always been looking for that someone may have had stashed in their attic. But when 3/4 of the flea market tables are just someone selling wrapped new shirts or shoes, the fun is gone. It's why I don't like eBay that much anymore. Instead of having neat things to look at, every one has a "store" with a Buy It Now button. Where's the fun in that?

Old 12-01-2016, 07:22 PM

483 posts, read 414,677 times
Never seen one (garage sale) in my hood.
I also am not interested in selling anything off my property with strangers knowing where I live and what I have.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 PM

41,746 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
What's even worse is when people try to sell VCRs or VHS tapes. It's hard to find a buyer for those. It's like trying to sell a typewriter.
Wrong! VCRs and tapes are really popular with families with kids. There's always someone in search of a VCR or tapes on the Facebook community sale groups I'm involved with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Yes. G sales went down hill with the advent of Ebay and other online selling sites. Now people buy to re-sell so they want a rock bottom price.
Not in my neighborhood ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
But when guy offered me a buck apiece for brand new dress shirts still in the package and was excited at having nice shirts to send home to Guatemala, I was happy to sell him the whole box for 10 bucks (I was asking 1 buck each for 15 of them).
What a great story. I had a similar experience selling some old curtains at a garage sale - the woman interested was a recent immigrant, and had just moved into her first apartment in the U.S. She thought each panel was $1, but when I told her that the price was $1 for all of them, her face lit up like a neon sign. I probably could have asked for more, but the smile on her face made up for another buck or two. And then her husband bought my lawnmower, so bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'd rather pay someone to take it all to the dump or Salvation army than have a yard sale. You open yourself up to someone later that day or a few days later breaking into your house. A yard sale is just what a burglar needs to scope out your home and property ahead of time, no questions asked.
You people are too paranoid. Yeah, there are bad eggs out there but smart people safeguard their properties from snooping would-be burglars.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,646,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong! VCRs and tapes are really popular with families with kids. There's always someone in search of a VCR or tapes on the Facebook community sale groups I'm involved with.

You shouldn't tell someone they are wrong. Also I think trying to sell VCR tapes are a waste of time, they deteriorate and are only good for about 10 years.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM

41,746 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
You shouldn't tell someone they are wrong. Also I think trying to sell VCR tapes are a waste of time, they deteriorate and are only good for about 10 years.

You shouldn't tell someone what they should tell someone else.

Hasn't been a waste of time for me - I can sell VCR tapes for a quarter easily, especially if it's a tape for kids. Just because you think it's a waste of time doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Not in my neighborhood ....

What a great story. I had a similar experience selling some old curtains at a garage sale - the woman interested was a recent immigrant, and had just moved into her first apartment in the U.S. She thought each panel was $1, but when I told her that the price was $1 for all of them, her face lit up like a neon sign. I probably could have asked for more, but the smile on her face made up for another buck or two. And then her husband bought my lawnmower, so bonus.

You people are too paranoid. Yeah, there are bad eggs out there but smart people safeguard their properties from snooping would-be burglars.
Call it paranoid, but I know someone that had a garage sale and 2 days later someone broke into her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House